This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is how you try to make a sale?

My old mp3 player has permanently stopped working. I was debating whether to order online or purchase one from the local big name electronics store. So I decided to pay the store a visit.

First the clerk showed me an iPod but was quick to tell me that I didn't have to get an iPod because there were other mp3 players for sell.

He then pointed out the ones that were really simple to use and wouldn't be "too confusing" for me.

He then explained that mp3 players came with cords that connected to the computer and that's how you got the music onto to the player. Silly me, I just assumed that I waved it front of the computer and hopped on one foot.

Girl does not equal computer illiterate. At least he did sell me on the idea of finding one online after all.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Ugh, hate that! Whenever I go to Best Buy I have to brace myself: are they going to be cool, or asshats?
    Plus most guys like that have honed it to such a fine art of condescension that if you WERE to call them out, you'd be thought the bitch. "I was only trying to help!!" Yeah, right.
    "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

I went shopping for a friend's Christmas present once. Asked a salesperson:
      "Do you have any Rock Band bass controllers?"
      He said, "No, but we have Guitar Hero guitar controllers."

...Yeah, that's what I wanted.
      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I like the guys at best buy who go, do you need help? Or seem genuinely interested in what your trying to do and want to help you get it right..... not sell you the most expensive thing so the dept manager looks amazing.

Best sales pitch "Every brand I sell is the worst brand and the best brand, it depends on the experiences of the person, what type of capabilities are you looking for? ..... and if you hate dell and Toshiba we still have this whole section that is neither"

I find it funny meeting girl techies, kind of a rare thing. I also love the reactions when I tell people, No I don't do apple because it is like starbucks. Why pay extra for something in a fancy package that to me is worse than a "lower quality" alternative.... Such a bad thing being able to load ANY MP3 from any computer. Not like people would want to aquire music and GASP, with 80GB MP3 player..... so you really need to waste space on your Hard drive to keep it synced?
        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Normally helping people pick out items isn't my area, but I do it sometimes if I'm asked or if I'm not too busy.

I don't talk people into the most expensive crap... I personally don't care what they buy as long as it's what they need and a price they can live with. So, when the bigger HDDs are on sale for less than the smaller HDDs, I'm happy to let them know, or to direct them to the stuff on sale. Or to hook them up with someone from the sales floor if I'm busy.

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
            I also love the reactions when I tell people, No I don't do apple because it is like starbucks. Why pay extra for something in a fancy package that to me is worse than a "lower quality" alternative.... Such a bad thing being able to load ANY MP3 from any computer. Not like people would want to aquire music and GASP, with 80GB MP3 player..... so you really need to waste space on your Hard drive to keep it synced?
            I just yesterday caved and bought the iPod shuffle Gen 4 after my Gen 2 pooped out. I knew this about the iPod, but unfortunately most of my music happens to be on iTunes and I heard that other MP3 players (non Apple) won't be able to load them. So I'm kind of stuck w/ Apple there.

DAMN YOU APPLE!!!
            "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Quoth Laund-o-rama Mama View Post
              I heard that other MP3 players (non Apple) won't be able to load them. So I'm kind of stuck w/ Apple there.

DAMN YOU APPLE!!!
              Nope not true anymore. I have itunes, but I don't use an ipod instead I have a zune, so I will buy off itunes then open up the zune program and all the files transfer over. Even before I would just back up all my music on a CD and transfer it over that way. I'm stubborn and would rather not have an ipod.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I lubs my iPod. 2nd Gen Nano FTW!

I've never had a problem with the folks at BB talking down to me because I'm female. Last time I went in for disk scratch remover, asked for it by name and didn't get any guff.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Laund-o-rama Mama View Post
                  I just yesterday caved and bought the iPod shuffle Gen 4 after my Gen 2 pooped out. I knew this about the iPod, but unfortunately most of my music happens to be on iTunes and I heard that other MP3 players (non Apple) won't be able to load them. So I'm kind of stuck w/ Apple there.

DAMN YOU APPLE!!!
                  It depends that is why I like MP3 and not their AAC format, also, I don't buy from the Itunes store for that reason but of course I think they have now removed the previous DRMs, except for the old files you already owned have to pay to "upgrade" them
                  I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I get a similar thing when I go to Home Depot. If I'm there with my husband and we're shopping for me, it's actually kinda funny to watch the employees ignore me, ask him if we're finding everything alright, and then my husband looks at me and says, "I don't know, are we?" If I'm in there by myself, I get asked a lot if I need help, but it's more like "Oh, noez, there's a female in the hardware department without a man!" I've actually had other customers ask me if I needed help. One time the guy asked me if he could help me find anything and before looking up and seeing he didn't work there I said, "Yeah, I'm looking for the 1" internal retaining rings." The guy blinked and had no idea what they were , much less where.
                    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                      ...I said, "Yeah, I'm looking for the 1" internal retaining rings." The guy blinked and had no idea what they were , much less where.
                      Of course. Isn't that some kind of IUD?
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I knew this about the iPod, but unfortunately most of my music happens to be on iTunes and I heard that other MP3 players (non Apple) won't be able to load them.
                        I set my iTunes up to rip in MP3 format.

The only thing you might have trouble with is when you download music from the store. however there are ways to convert it to mp3.

as for 80G... I prefer that size or bigger because I like having my entire music collection at my fingertips.
                        Plus, if you set it up so that you synch your music manually (instead of automatic), you can do what I do... Keep the music on an external drive, and - if you don't feel like loading the external - just plug in the ipod and play it from there instead.
                        Last edited by PepperElf; 06-30-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                          Nope not true anymore. I have itunes, but I don't use an ipod instead I have a zune, so I will buy off itunes then open up the zune program and all the files transfer over. Even before I would just back up all my music on a CD and transfer it over that way. I'm stubborn and would rather not have an ipod.
                          Also, even if you do have some issues with the transfer, there are several nice folks who have put free conversion programs out to make iTunes and Rhapsody -tied music into generic MP3 files. Used that a lot with my Zune, myself.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Of course. Isn't that some kind of IUD?

It was pretty funny, because the look on his face was so completely "Oh, shit, this woman knows something I don't know!"

I just know one of these days I'll be in there alone and someone will say, "Are you lost, little girl?"
                            Last edited by thatcrazyredhead; 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM.
                            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

We have a female contractor who comes to our store who's constantly bitching to us that other customers are constantly trying to "help" her in the store. "Like I haven't been cutting and installing molding for 25 years" was how she put it to me. Most of the employees know her on sight and know that if she wants help, she'll ASK for it. (It's safer not to offer if you're male. If you're female, she'll just wave you off.) Apparently the customers can't get over the fact that a woman can use the in-store station to cut the default 16' lengths down to whatever she needs without a man to work the saw.
                              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                              X