This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mall.

I usually don't run into anything like weird people out in stores or anything. I'm like the opposite of Lupo honestly, I repel rude people (it's probably the look on my face, I look like I murder people in my basement most of the time). But this was very very odd. I was in a store at the mall by me and I had my stuff and was CLEARLY standing in a line. I was 2nd in line and this woman comes up to the side of me, standing fairly close and just stares at me.

STARES INTENTLY.

Finally I turn my head a little and she practically yells: "ARE YOU IN LINE?!" I say that I am and she gets behind me with her kid who's holding all his stuff.

This is where I turn invisible. I must have had some weird sort of cloaking device because when it's my turn the kid walks up to the counter next to me (it's a large counter) and puts down his stuff, blocking me from the card swiper thing. I'm looking at him like..."wtf are you doing???" and his mother isn't doing a damn thing about it.

Cashier saw the whole thing and realizes what's going on so she tries to do the subtle, "Are you together?" and I say very loudly, "NO." FINALLY the kid's mom jerks him backwards and yells at him to back off. It was her redemption really but they both stood WAY too close to me, like they were breathing down my neck as I checked out.

It was probably the strangest thing I've had happen to me when I wasn't working.

Story the Second: Same Day, different store.

Got asked again if I worked somewhere. But it was more like, "Are you working here?" from this little old lady. I don't know how she could have gotten that impression since I was geeking out with my friend over these cooking spoons that have faces on them. She seemed really angry when I said I didn't work there but she didn't smartmouth me or anything. I just think she thought I was lying.

I really don't get why this happens. I don't wear anything out of the ordinary T-shirt and cargos or jeans. My hair looks really spiffy so maybe I look professional from that? Who knows. It just gets annoying when everyone and their cousin thinks I work someplace.

Ten bucks she complained that I wouldn't help her.

I almost always use my credit card at the grocery store (hello, SkyMiles points!). It drives me bonkers when the person behind me in the checkout aisle stands right in front of the CC machine while I'm trying to load up my cart. I have to say "EXCUSE ME" in a loud voice to even get their attention and then sometimes they back up about half an inch. I end up just squishing myself in to type in my zip code and sign. If they won't move, I will move them in a very passive aggressive way.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
      I really don't get why this happens. I don't wear anything out of the ordinary T-shirt and cargos or jeans. My hair looks really spiffy so maybe I look professional from that? Who knows. It just gets annoying when everyone and their cousin thinks I work someplace.
      We put out a "customer service" pheromone. And we tend to look like we know what we're doing.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Anyone who has worked in retail almost has a aura around them. Customers pick up on it. I don't know if it's because we are used to being in a store so much that we just have a look of belonging. I hate going shopping now because no matter where I go, someone always asks me if I work there.

Comment

I have an aura from my time in CS. It's one that says 'If you ask me if I work here I will convert your small intestine into a balloon animal'. It helps that my eyes look like a pair of burned-out holes in the ground.

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
            ...I will convert your small intestine into a balloon animal...
            ... that looks like the rabbit pulled out of the Twilight zone hat...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
              ...but they both stood WAY too close to me, like they were breathing down my neck as I checked out.
              Check your next statement very carefully. If you have a pin number rather than having to sign, they could have been trying to see it.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Check your next statement very carefully. If you have a pin number rather than having to sign, they could have been trying to see it.
                I ran it as credit so I never put in my PIN. I didn't even sign anything because the amount was under 25 dollars. It just felt like they were trying to push me out of the way, like I was going to allow them to go first.

Comment

One of these days I'm going to walk into a store naked just to see if I still get asked if I work there.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    One of these days I'm going to walk into a store naked just to see if I still get asked if I work there.
                    That depends on what kind of store, no?
                    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      It's been done, sort of. 111 shirtless men walked into Abercrombie and Fitch one day.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        Look! Add rollerblades and he's an adult pull toy!
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                        X