X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bus sightings from the week

Or at least as many as I can type before I have to run to catch said bus

This week has been special, let's start with Mr. Crazy. He has become a regular on the 811, he always walks back and forth up and down the bus, moving seats, scratching his back using the card reader for electronic passes, and dancing to music that no one else can hear... if he's in a good mood he'll even start to rap... at least I think that's what he is trying to do...

Oh, we also have a new bus driver who, oh special just about comes close to describing him. At the 123rd south exit on the freeway, there is two turn lanes to go right, he needs to turn left almost immediately after turning right, which lane do you think he goes into? If you said the left of the two right hand turn lanes, well dear reader, you have a lot more faith in this guy than you should, no he wants to chance turning before the light turns green (which is never possible on 123rd, it just isn't, don't try, you will get hurt), so he ends up cutting off three lanes of traffic every single time he exits on 123rd to go over to State street.

eta- since I like visuals
    Google maps view
    That is the intersection, he always uses the right lane of the two right hand turn lanes going north off the exit, then has to fight his way over to the left hand turn lanes of that intersection so close to the freeway that you can spit and hit it from the freeway

Speaking of special driving antics, that pothole on the access road to the AmFork Frontrunner station (why it's open when they haven't even finished building the Frontrunner extension out that far is beyond me) has been there over a month, you've hit it every day this week, there is no traffic on that road, ever, so why don't you just avoid it?

Oh, the stupid question people are asking more and more often "does this train go north"
    This is at the Sandy Civic Center station, the track physically does not extend south of that station, you can see where it ends from the station...
    I want to tell someone, "no, it goes south, this is one of those new trains that doesn't actually need rails to follow or overhead power lines to draw electricity from"
    On that note, the first door of any train has always been off limits to bikes, there are multiple signs on the platform and on the trains... why to bikes insist on trying to enter the first door of the train at Sandy Civic Center?

And my personal favorite from the week was the idiot who stood stupid at the door, staring at the sign that said "push button to exit" waited until the train started moving, ran up to the driver cabin, and started pounding on it yelling "why the fuck didn't you open the doors mother fucker... how the fuck do you expect us to get off the train"... yeah, officers were waiting for him at the next station, to... show him how the doors worked... among other things.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 07-23-2011, 06:30 PM.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

I don't miss public transportation at all. I did my 10 years on the bus; I'm allowed my bigger carbon footprint now.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I don't particularly care about my carbon footprint (especially when there are so many other more immediate environmental concerns from driving)... what I really care about is it is really fracking expensive to buy gas to drive to and from Orem every day.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post

Oh, we also have a new bus driver who, oh special just about comes close to describing him. At the 123rd south exit on the freeway, there is two turn lanes to go right, he needs to turn left almost immediately after turning right, which lane do you think he goes into? If you said the left of the two right hand turn lanes, well dear reader, you have a lot more faith in this guy than you should, no he wants to chance turning before the light turns green (which is never possible on 123rd, it just isn't, don't try, you will get hurt), so he ends up cutting off three lanes of traffic every single time he exits on 123rd to go over to State street.
        Oh he's just an accident waiting for a place to happen with this maneuver, isn't he?

I recall when I still took the bus there was one driver who just didn't give a rat's ass and nearly caused an accident every day he made a right turn at the red light - despite there being a sign saying no right turn on red!

I complained several times and each time, I was told that unless a supervisor caught him in the act, there was nothing they could do (and the local police were ironically never around). So finally, he did his usual boneheaded move and made his illegal right turn. Screech! Honk! Crunch!

Yep. I was on the bus and I made my statement and I also mentioned to the police that I'd called several times about what the driver was doing. I don't know if the driver got fired or if he was moved to another route, but after that, the route was driven by a competent person.
        Random conversation:
        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

you know this may seem like an issue but it depends on your states CDL laws, how ruthless your local DOP is and his experience level.

I can tell you as someone training to receive her CDL that the DOP can be very strict on the whole stay to right as much as possible and always be in the right most lane when turning thing. If his CDL is is newer he may be more comfortable to the right.

Unless he is cutting people off he isnt doing anything wrong.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post

the thing is, with the traffic flow at that intersection, it is impossible to NOT cut people off unless you are turning from the left of the two lanes.

Comment

Oh, the stupid question people are asking more and more often "does this train go north"
              This is at the Sandy Civic Center station, the track physically does not extend south of that station, you can see where it ends from the station...
              I want to tell someone, "no, it goes south, this is one of those new trains that doesn't actually need rails to follow or overhead power lines to draw electricity from"
              I got a similar question last weekend in Santa Fe. I was waiting for the RailRunner to get in to come back to ABQ. The station I was at is literally the last station, as in, "if it goes any farther north, it's going to run into a building".

Of course, I think they could have been related to the same people I saw at the Los Ranchos station in the morning that kept looking north for a train coming from the south. This was the first train of the morning and it was coming from Belen, which is south of here....

Ah, tourists. I love that saying, "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

One time I was coming off of the interstate. My light turned green, I went to make my left and found myself less than 6 feet away from a speeding bus, blowing the very much already red light to get onto the interstate. I was like WTF, I almost got T-boned by a bus.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                  you know this may seem like an issue but it depends on your states CDL laws, how ruthless your local DOP is and his experience level.

I can tell you as someone training to receive her CDL that the DOP can be very strict on the whole stay to right as much as possible and always be in the right most lane when turning thing. If his CDL is is newer he may be more comfortable to the right.

Another point - where are the bus stops? You cannot pick up or let off passengers from the left lane. If there are, or are likely to be, passengers getting on/off before or after that right turn, the driver needs to be in the right lane. In fact, sitting at a traffic light not in the right lane can be dangerous, because people will come out into the middle of the street to try to board. Which is illegal as well as dangerous. Passengers are customers, therefore sometimes sucky and stupid.
                  Women can do anything men can.
                  But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                  Maxine

Comment

Judging by the view Smiley posted from Google maps, I don't think there'd be a bus stop in that area.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Pagan is right, the first bus stop after getting off the freeway is after turning onto State street just past the driveway for Wienerschnitzel.
                      So really, none of us have any clue why the driver chooses to go into the right lane on the exit when the left lane is more appropriate for the immediate left turn that is needed after exiting onto 123000 South.

Comment

Working...
                      X