This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• false advertising for a horse

*Not sure if this really counts as a “sighting” or no, and I’m a little fuzzy on the details since it happened over twenty years ago, but wanted to share it because many of the posts/comments here about “false advertising” reminded me of this*

It was between when I was in first and second grade that my parents agreed to get me a horse, and after going through ads in the paper, they decided on a pony named Nicki. I’m not sure what all her owners had mentioned in the ad, and I don’t recall exactly how things had gone when we traveled to Phoenix to check her out, only that my parents were under the impression that she was tame, gentle, and a good horse for kids/inexperienced riders.

The only specific thing I do remember is that it wasn’t long after we’d bought Nicki when my parents began to realize that her owners hadn’t been entirely truthful with us. I don’t think it would be fair to say she was “mean”, she was just WAY more high-spirited than they’d been lead to believe, and was definitely NOT a good horse to start out with learning to ride. I think my dad had called Nicki’s previous owners, and their response was something along the lines of “maybe she’s perked up from being in the mountain air”. (my mom has since suspected that they might've given her a mild sedative before we'd come to check her out)
    Last edited by KellyHabersham; 07-27-2011, 09:36 PM.

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
    (my mom has since suspected that Nicki's previous owners might've given her a mild sedative before we'd come to check her out)
    That happens unfortunately, I've seen some seriously stoned horses that owners were trying to pass as tame either to sell or at shows. That's why it's best to bring an experienced horse person with you, either a riding coach or a trainer who is not involved with the seller, one who is experienced at buying horses, plus getting vet checks done by your own vet and farrier. Even if you are experienced that 2nd opinion is always best. It's a shame that happened to your parents. I really hate to hear when that happens.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Not to mention abusive to the horse.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

there's no way to get them in trouble for that is there?

Comment

Wouldn't there be a "lemon law" for horses as there is for cars?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

no idea.......don't know what the laws regarding that sort of thing were back when this occurred. And I have to admit that a lot of it had to do with me - I was small for my age, so it was hard to have physical control over a horse. And there were many aspects of horseback riding which I would've picked up on better/sooner had I been a little older. (If I had been able to do barrel racing, for example.......Nicki would have been an awesome horse for that)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              It's hard to get someone in trouble for that unless it's reported right away, like you leave and call and someone is sent out to do tests to see if the horse is drugged, or a reliable vet or farrier is there to say yep, stoned pony ( I have a weird sense of humor, sorry), which I'd say they are very good at noticing since they both see it enough. Since a previous owner can claim different things, like the new owner didn't keep up on training or other things. It's been a while so I can't remember what kind of trouble they would be in, if it would be animal abuse or something else. Which is once again why I say vet checks and bring a professional. They will know if a horse is drugged or being treated in a way to make it seem calm. Like using a harsh bit or something that to the untrained eye, or as someone who is so excited to have found a gorgeous horse might not notice. It also pays to do a " Oh I was in the area and wanted to stop by" checks, see what kind of condition the horse is kept in when there aren't planned visitors, and how the horse normally is. I recommend those checks with animal breeders too, a last minute call saying we are down the road wanted to stop in quick to say hi, means they can't drug an animal in enough time to make it seem calm. A honest person will most likely say sure stop in, but just warning you the place looks like a mess. Or if they had planned on stepping out will at the very least not sound worried when they say you can't stop in right now.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                It was between when I was in first and second grade that my parents agreed to get me a horse..
                I'd feel more sympathy, if you hadn't gotten a pony growing up!

Hopefully you were able to find a horse to learn on, and were able to grow into your horse?
                Last edited by Evandril; 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Quoth Evandril View Post
                  I'd feel more sympathy, if you hadn't gotten a pony growing up!

Hopefully you were able to find a horse to learn on, and were able to grow into your horse?
                  I wish it had worked out that way, but no - I ended up having riding lessons on the horse which my dad bought for himself, but Quinn wasn't always patient with me as a rider, and I kind of lost confidence after he purposely bucked me off. (I loved horses, but I think I was NOT cut out to be a rider at that point in time)

The other part is that my dad died when I was still in second grade, and he was really the one who was behind me learning to ride.......we ended up selling the horses a few years later, but then we also ended up boarding some, so I still got to be around them.

Comment

Working...
                  X