This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This really bothers me . . . .

Two stories of suck, both with me as a passive accomplice (mea culpa).

I'm really not sure what if anything I should do about the first one.

Leone of Food SCO

Went to the grocery store last night because I ran out of Kitten Chow for Taz. The regular registers were rather busy, so I used the SCO.

There was another customer in line ahead of me who was having some trouble scannin her items. She looked Asian (which is relevant only in the fact I assumed she might be an immigrant and unfamiliar with how the SCO worked, especially because she had trouble getting her money in the machine). A clerk came and did something with her item to get the total correct so the lady could pay and leave.

My turn in line. I had one item. ONE. The Kitten Chow. I often use SCO's, so I knew what I was doing. I scan the item. It rings up at the correct price. I swipe my MVP card. It gives me the correct discount. I put it on the belt and wait for the "Scan next item or Hit FInish to pay" dialouge.

Instead, the belt moves back to me, the item disappears, and it says, "Clerk needed, problem with scanner."

I try again. Same message.

Clerk comes over a tries. She tries twice. She does nothing to the machine. Finally she says, "I'll get an item that rings up for that price to get you out."

Huh?

Me: It's OK, I'll just use another SCO.

However, she ignores me, grabs another item, scans it, and it takes for some reason. She takes the item back, tells me to go ahead and pay and that I can go with the kitten food.

The total came up to 3 cents less than what it should have been with my discount and tax.

I paid and left, but felt bad about it. Technically, inventory is screwed up, and the store is out 3 cents which over a lot of transactions adds up.

Should I go back to the store and talk to the manager? Or am I making much ado over nothing?

-----

Pharmacy Door Open

This afternoon, I stopped into a local Aid of Rite to use the bathroom (I bought a bottle of water to pay for the priviledge ). When I went in, I noticed the door to the Pharmacy area was wide open. Propped open, in fact. When I came out, still the same way. There was a counter right next to the door, and an employee (tech I think) looked right at me.

I knew I should say something, but I just wanted to get in and out fast (had a friend waiting for me at a Chinese place at the other end of the strip mall). I went to the front counter to pay for my water, but the idea of that door open bothered me so much I said to the cashier:

"Look, I'm not trying to cause trouble, but there's a door to the pharmacy wide open with all those drugs in easy reach of anyone walking by, and it just bothers me that it has been left open."

Cashier: Was there no one there?

Me: No, there was someone there. I think the door was propped open on purpose, and I didn't want to say anything, but I just feel now that I need to.

Cashier: I'll let them know.

I paid and left. I know I shouldn't have been passive aggressive about this
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Neither one of those things are anything you should be worried about.
    You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Leone of Food SCO:
      I am assuming that you were nice to the SCO Clerk so they did you a favore, got you rung up and out of there. Try yelling and screaming next time and see if they do the same thing.

Pharmacy Door Open
      It is probably not a good idea to have the door open and you let someone know, without making a scene. Well handled.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

On the first item, I'm generally too lazy to complain to a business unless I'm still annoyed. But it bothers you, so go ahead and send a note to the store. You can usually email a comment. You can certainly mention that the employee was helpful, but that the machine was having issues and that you're concerned about getting rung up for the wrong item, even if it was for almost the same price.

What if something is wrong with the food and you needed to return it? Now your receipt shows a completely unrelated item and will cause problems for your return. Also, those inventory issues cost the company time and money, which trickles down to the shopper. Most important, management will not fix anything unless it is an obvious problem or a customer complains about it. If the scanner is having a problem besides just being "quirky", management won't fix it unless they're forced to.

And as for the pharmacy thing, I'd email corporate on that, unless you feel the cashier actually passed your complaint to management. I expect the company will take a dim view about their restricted drug inventory being compromised.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth BrightEyedKitty View Post
          Neither one of those things are anything you should be worried about.
          Agreed.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            And as for the pharmacy thing, I'd email corporate on that, unless you feel the cashier actually passed your complaint to management. I expect the company will take a dim view about their restricted drug inventory being compromised.
            I'd talk to the pharmacy manager first (not the same person as the front-end manager; at Aid of Rite, the chains of command are separate all the way up to the RVP). The shit that will inevitably roll downhill from coprorate regarding this isn't something I'd like to deal with as a pharmacist myself.

Besides, if the tech was there right next to the door, nobody's going to sneek in and walk off with anything, and all of those stores have cameras, including one pointed at every entrance to the department. If they leave the department totally unmanned (which they aren't really allowed to do without shutting it altogether), then I could see there being a problem. The C-IIs are in the safe in any case.

(Stuff can walk even with the door shut. I did once have to file papers with the DEA regarding the disappearance of a bottle of generic Ativan tablets from The Pharmacy Recently Acquired By The Green Wall when I was SP there; I know that door was kept closed except when someone authorized to do so is walking through it. Not to mention you couldn't even get to that door without going behind the front counter first. I suspect one of the delivery guys got sticky fingers; we put it in the narc safe after that, even though it's only a C-IV. The Xanax and Klonopin were much farther from the door and deep in the bays, thus less likely to grow legs, and I left them on the open shelves.)

Comment

I frequently work the SCO at my job. If you're a pleasant customer and your machine is FUBAR, I'd do similar to help you out and keep you happy. I've actually had managers say 50 cents isn't worth fighting over. So... *shrug* I'd be listening to the management.

Comment

1) SCO - You did nothing wrong. You even volunteered to use another machine.

2) Pharmacy - Again you did nothing wrong. The pharmacy tech should know better.

Comment

Working...
                X