This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are Not Amused

Amusement Park fun yesterday. BG- granddaughter (age 8) is staying with us from out of state this month. She loves our local amusement park - one of a kind nowadays, it''s a fun, laid back place, family owned since it opened in the 60's. Admission is one price (there's tons for especially the small kids to do, with a storybook land, all sorts of slides and tunnels and so forth for just the admission fee) and you can also buy seperate tickets for the few rides they have (each ride is a certain number of tickets, like at a carnival). end BG.

So, we get there fairly early, walk up to the admission booth, one guy is ahead of us. Now, he wasn't exactly sucky, he was pleasant enough, but obviously totally clueless and oblivious as to any effect his actions might have on others (staff & other customers).

Tell, me, who in their right mind shows up at an amusement park, walks up to the ticket booth, and informs them he has two busses outside, with over 50 people, and proceeds to ask what kind of discounts they can get. Wouldn't you think an outing like that just might warrant a bit of advance planning, not to mention advance notice?

By the time the poor girl at the register had radio'd a manager to find out about bulk discounts, entered in the info for the admissions (including how many adults, how many kids of various ages), counted out the 350 ride tickets the guy decided he wanted as well, and given him his answers to questions like where they could all eat the lunches they'd brought, how this or that worked in the park, and so forth, there was now a line of at least a dozen people behind us waiting to pay a simple admission and go in.

And that was just with everyone still on the bus, I didn't hang around to watch as they had to bring in over 50 people, make sure it was known they were paid for, stamp all their hands (required) and get them actually into the park.

This was a well-known youth group, they obviously had advance planning to rent the busses, get the proper permissions from parents, etc. Wouldn't you think somewhere in that planning someone would have thought to give a call and check on discounts, ask all their quesions about picnic facilities, etc, let the park know when they were coming so they could have the tickets counted out, and an extra register going for them (they're set up for two registers, but being a weekday, they only had one in operation)? I'm sure the huge chain parks would take a group like this in their stride, but this is a small (literally) mom & pop operation, and can't be mistaken for a six flags by anyone

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

If said youth group has a national or regional office, I think I'd be contacting them about the lack of consideration for others being displayed by this particular specimen.

Comment

I agree about contacting the office for the youth group. To me it looks like a bit of emotional black mail being used to get a good rate, even if nothing was said there is still a bunch of kids eager to have fun and nobody wants to disappoint buses of kids.

Comment

yes that is inconsiderate.

he bussed them over planning on going to the park, and hadn't gotten his shit straight first?

Comment

Quoth Solumina View Post
          I agree about contacting the office for the youth group. To me it looks like a bit of emotional black mail being used to get a good rate, even if nothing was said there is still a bunch of kids eager to have fun and nobody wants to disappoint buses of kids.
          In all fairness, I never got the impression he'd have left if the discount didn't meet his expectations, and most places like that do offer some sort of group rate, so might as well ask (though in advance would have made much more sense). The guy was very polite, smiling, no suck in his attitude, just in his cluelessness that this just might have repercussions to anyone else on the planet.

Comment

It is possible (not likely but possible) that they had originally had some other activity planned that fell through and the park trip was a last minute substitute.

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
              It is possible (not likely but possible) that they had originally had some other activity planned that fell through and the park trip was a last minute substitute.
              Possible, but around here, not very likely, LOL - not a lot of places to go. And of course, nowadays everyone is so worried about lawsuits, I'd say it would be unlikely to take a bunch of kids anywhere they didn't have signed permission slips from parents for.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                Tell, me, who in their right mind shows up at an amusement park, walks up to the ticket booth, and informs them he has two busses outside, with over 50 people, and proceeds to ask what kind of discounts they can get. Wouldn't you think an outing like that just might warrant a bit of advance planning, not to mention advance notice?
                Considering it's a small amusement park, that large a group on an otherwise slow day is likely to overwhelm the resources set up for the expected customer load. I would have liked to see the ticket booth person quote from a policy "Sorry, but groups of 20 or more need to make arrangements in advance so we can staff accordingly - since you haven't made arrangements, I'm not allowed to let you in."

Seriously, hadn't he considered the possibility that on an otherwise slow day, the park might have rented out for a private party by a large group (i.e. no general public), or have arranged to get some major infrastructure work done (such as replacing their main electrical panel), or for some other reason been closed to the general public?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                X