Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"It just makes the God in our hearts go, 'AAH!!'' (plus bonus sightings!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shalom View Post
    I don't think I've ever even seen a Nepalese restaurant. What kind of food do they serve there?
    Nopales, of course...

(flees slings, arrows, bhammers...)
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

The Thai place that I go to on occasion plays Thai Pop music, and I think of it sort of like J-Pop and K-Pop: it's an acquired taste and not everyone likes it.

There was one occasion where someone came in and had placed an order to go (like me), and started complaining about them playing "that damned Oriental music, can you play American since you're in America?" I looked at the guy and shook my head.

If you've never heard Thai Pop, there is one that's a favorite:

http://youtu.be/mUV6xQY0TMM
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

There's an African-American cultural center in my city, and they have a dance & drum group that's totally fantastic. Ranges from little kids to adults and they are all incredibly good.

And I adore drumming! There's an arts festival coming up at the end of August that sometimes has drummers. One year while they were drumming this little girl, about 4 or 5, started to dance, and then this tall, skinny young guy started. They ended up dancing with each other, it was pretty cute.

There's nothing like a good drum circle.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
          I don't think I've ever even seen a Nepalese restaurant. What kind of food do they serve there?
          Delicious food -- that's what kind. I've only gone for their lunch buffet, and that was enough to convince me to keep coming back.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Lvl_9_Gazebo View Post
            They wanted [the music] turned off, though, because they knew that "the Thais" worship other gods, and they knew the chants "are prayers to other gods, and we're Christian, and it just makes the God in our hearts go 'AAH!!'" .... She blinked a few times, puzzled, and then went to go ask the owner to turn off the music.
            This reminds me of a story. I once had someone complain to me (in a boisterous fashion) that "Friday I'm In Love" by the Cure was "too heavy" and wanted the music turned off for that reason. They asked where I got my music from because they wanted to complain. (It was Muzak.) Apparently, they did complain, because I have not heard that song on their FM1 channel for months and months.

That was totally off-topic, but some people are just weird about music playing. Some people like music because it makes the environment feel less dead. Others are just SC's about the whole thing.

Quite honestly, unless it's way too loud, I do not have a problem with music. I have asked certain establishments very politely if they would mind peeling down on the volume knob, but that's only because you had to YELL ACROSS THE TABLE for the person sitting across from you to hear what you were saying. Otherwise, it's their call what they play and how loud they play it.

Comment

Can't say I've ever complained about music in a restaurant before. The only music related issue I've had was the last time my mom and I went to Sonic. Long story short, the people working there apparently had the music inside so loud that they weren't hearing orders and that was why we were waiting in the drive-thru line 20 minutes.

I have been known, though, to ask for the channel to be changed on one of the TVs in the school cafe. Said TV is, somehow, always on either the news, sports, 700 Club, or The Price Is Right. Even if every other one in the cafe (there are three main ones, and then another one on the far side of the cafe) is on the exact same channel.
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                I wish I could try some of these. They sound awesome; the only problem is, I only know of one kosher Thai joint, and it's in Manhattan. Also there's no place there to eat; it's strictly take out.
                Kosher Thai? ... The city of New York has everything-- and it can be delivered... (as the saying goes, or something like that)
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Looks good. Now I'm hungry.

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                  Kosher Thai? ... The city of New York has everything-- and it can be delivered... (as the saying goes, or something like that)
                  Got that right. (But not all the way to Jersey, unfortunately.)

Oh almost forgot. ETA:
                  Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  I adore drumming!
                  dubbadubbadubba
                  Last edited by Dave1982; 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    Looks good. Now I'm hungry.

Got that right. (But not all the way to Jersey, unfortunately.)

Oh almost forgot. ETA:

dubbadubbadubba
                    Cool.

Wonder if I could get that guy to do that at my house.

About half an hour after the neighbors finally shut the hell up and go to bed.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Cilantro is also a very used spice in Thai restaurants. For whoever mentioned that it leaves a bad aftertaste, it could be the cilantro.

This thread is making me crave Thai. Want.
                      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Thai food is not my favorite (I'm not big on spicy things). I prefer Japanese as well, though there are some Korean dishes I like too.

I can hear the drum rhythm in my head, and I wasn't even there! Sounds like it was a fun event. Awesome pwnage on the street preachers.

Hope those Christians who asked for the music to be turned off have to plans to visit Thailand, or any other foreign country for that matter.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                          Cilantro is also a very used spice in Thai restaurants. For whoever mentioned that it leaves a bad aftertaste, it could be the cilantro.
                          And cilantro tastes like soap to some people, so that might be the issue.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                            And cilantro tastes like soap to some people, so that might be the issue.
                            OT, but that's one reason I can't stand pear-flavored Jelly Belly beans. For some reason, they always taste like soap to me.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                              OT, but that's one reason I can't stand pear-flavored Jelly Belly beans. For some reason, they always taste like soap to me.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Maybe it's more odd than precisely sucky, but they seemed a bit... entitled and bigoted.
                                Fixed that for you.

Re: Thai food: I love it so hard. You have to like (1) hot spicy things and (2) shrimp tp eat in most Thai restaurants, I find. Even if it's otherwise vegetarian Thai food will likely have fish sauce or shrimp sauce somewhere in it. That's... one of my concessions to non-veggie-ism, I really love my Thai food.

Comment

Working...
                                X