This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This happened 2 hours after the hurricane

For those of you who are unaware, the northeastern US just got pummelled by a relatively weak, yet still powerful hurricane which tore through major metropolitan areas between Washington DC and Boston. Although it was a category 1 which turned into a "mere" tropical storm, it was slow moving and thus we sustained strong winds for far longer than most storms. The northeast being very foresty, roads were quickly blocked, trees fell into power lines, and in the end half of Rhode Island was out of power.

The storm wasted no time knocking out power to my house. By 8am, merely an hour after winds really picked up, we lost power. Fortunately, since we had days to prepare, we weren't worried about our well-being. We had canned food, flashlights, a small portable range, and had everything except for a generator.

The storm generally lasted a good 8-10 hours. We had gusts over 50mph for most of the day and some winds reached as high as 71mph. After the winds died down, we carefully walked around the neighborhood to assess damage, and although all the houses we saw were in tact, there were downed powerlines all over the place, which we wisely avoided as we treked along. I knew then and there getting power back to our town was going to be a long, long process.

That evening, after it got dark, we listened to our hand-crank radio which we purchased ahead of the storm. The electric company made an official announcement that, although they will work diligently and non-stop to restore power to the half-million people who are left in the dark, but for those who are in isolated pockets or more rural areas, it could take up to 7 days to restore power.

People were already calling the radio station, fuming that they didn't have power back yet. "The storm has ended! Where's our power?" was the mantra that night. Bear in mind at this point, the wind had totally ended merely 2 hours ago. The electric company was just beginning to assess damage. For many communities, it wasn't just one or two things that was to blame for the outage, it was dozens of things. Busted transformers, downed trees in 10 locations in the grid, power poles completely down.

The electricians have to carefully remove limbs and trees from the area, then run new cable where the breach occurred, and then repair and in some cases completely replace transformers which had blown up... in hundreds of various places around the state. There were 3,500 workers who were going to be up all night doing this repair work, and it is dangerous, time-consuming, and above all, costly work.

The customers are calling in the whole night so angry about the outage, as if it was somehow unexpected to lose power for "so long." The next morning, I woke up to find the power was still out, but looked outside and saw it was a beautiful day. Looking at the sky, you'd never thought a hurricane just blew through the state until you looked at the ground.

By the end of yesterday, I got power back, but I still heard complaints from radio callers yelling about the fact that there was no cable TV. OMG! Look outside! You obviously have the day off from work, and it's one of the most beautiful days ever! Take advantage of this situation! Take a walk in the park! Drive to your friends and family's homes and see if they're ok! It's okay if you miss Jerry Springer for a day!

Ugh, people are so friggen stupid. We had a hurricane, and people are actually complaining about the outage. Even the radio host was losing patience, saying, "Guys, come on. Seriously? You are disappointed that 71mph winds for 10 hours knocked out your power? I was expecting these calls to come in 3 days from now, but I never expected them to come 3 hours after the storm stopped. It never even crossed my mind."

On a positive note, there were a lot of callers who were rebuking the complainers saying they were absolutely unrealistic and need to get a clue. I'm hoping the complainers are just a case of a "vocal minority" who don't understand the simple concept of a power grid and how a hurricane can affect it.

Was it only Rhode Island that got these stupid complaints? I have come to know this state as a community of whiners and asshats, but surely this was the story elsewhere?
    Last edited by thehuckster; 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Nope - I'm in Virginia, right outside of Richmond, and we got hit pretty badly. My college (where I work & attend classes) is still closed because some people still don't have power. It's the same story here - they are complaining EVERYWHERE. On the news, on Facebook - anywhere somebody will listen. Some are even threatening violence if they don't get their power back soon - just because they see a neighborhood a block or two away got theirs back. I had no faith in society before - I don't see me ever getting it back at this point.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann
    RIP Plaidman - you are loved & greatly missed.

Comment

I heard the same thing on the radio too, we played games in candle light until bed, it wasn't a big deal. (other then I am afraid of the dark, I will admit it but I kept my dog with me when I went to bed.)

The station we were listening to did a fantastic job at telling the people who were complaining about the power company to get a grip. I couldn't believe it myself, it's not something that can be done quickly and easily. I got extremely lucky since I live behind my town's town hall on a major roadway. My lights are connected to the traffic lights and the town hall. Since those were needed I got my power back around 1am.

Still the power company was calling Thursday afternoon to say it may take up to 7 days, so anyone complaining had plenty of time to prepare.
      I have friends that live up in the woods in north eastern CT. Her parents always made sure to have a small generator available and to be prepared, her father said it was their choice to live away in the woods, they aren't as high of a priority to reconnect as supply stores, traffic lights, and other places.

Not to mention TV is not as high a priority as power, and phone lines. I told someone that the other day, do you have power? yes? Can you cook, wash, see in the dark? Yes? Did you have major damage, lots of repairs, have to leave your home cause you can't live there? No? Then stop complaining, go visit family and watch tv at their place if you have to.

Since none of my friends and I knew when and who would lose power we all made sure to notify each other by text if we lost it and if we got it back. So far since Sunday I've had four friends and family stop in for showers, recharge their phones, a hot meal or two and just to get out of their houses. People need to stop complaining and be thankful for what they have and rely on the people around them to help them out and do the same. Those of us who didn't suffer great losses got lucky.
      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth The Last to Know View Post
        Some are even threatening violence if they don't get their power back soon - just because they see a neighborhood a block or two away got theirs back.
        Yeah, I heard that story over and over again. They take it so personally. As if the electric company has some kind of vendetta against that street.

Well, at least it's not just this state that's getting the calls. I mean, Virginia got hit even worse than RI, and they are even upset? Ugh.

Comment

I remember when we had the great blackout in 2003. That was actually pretty nice to have complete quiet and darkness for a night. The sky never looked so brilliant before.

Comment

At least the people around here tend to deal with power outages without being complete idiots. So far.

When we had a freak snowstorm in October 2006, power got knocked out all over the area. Electric companies from a bunch of other states sent crews to help. People bought up all the generators they could find, and made do with candles, battery-powered lights and their radios. Even the local DJ's that I can't stand did a great job of getting info out. I didn't hear of anyone bitching until the last street finally got hooked up again, almost a month later (they had some problems in that area and couldn't get things repaired quickly).

I was without power for 4 and a half days that time, and it was frustrating, but we managed. It was only October, so not that cold once that freaky storm passed.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had to post this on Facebook because people were kind of pissing me off:

"For those complaining about lack of power, please remember that while this is a slight inconvenience for most of us (most), crews are now out there risking their lives to get us back up and running again and deserve the respect that any firefighter or police officer would get for also risking their lives for the public. Some of us, myself included, have people close to us who are out there right now. Please be careful."

Then a response from me later when someone expressed their frustration as a response to my status:

"Trust me I understand the frustration. Just trying to raise awareness from the other side because a lot of people don't realize that there are so many factors that could lead to injury or death for these crews if they work quickly with disregard for their safety. Even if they are being as safe as they possibly can be, things don't always go right dealing with thousands of volts of electricity and huge trees. "

Comment

Wow.

Where my bf is didn't get hit that badly, and he's still without power. He doesn't complain about it...I mean, really? Why do people complain only a couple of hours after a hurricane? It's not like they can snap their fingers and it all magically rights itself.
                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Up in my neck of the woods we weren't hit too bad, but the province still had about 50k people without power after the storm; 16k in Freddy alone. My own power went out around 10PM Sunday, and didn't come back up till 10AM the next morning. Even now they're still estimating a few thousand people without power around the province.

Good news is, I've heard relatively few comments complaining about the lack of power. Most were understanding and took it in stride. Especially since a lot of the extra help from other provinces the workers would draw upon normally went down south to help in the States.

Comment

The suckiness has reached epic proportions

I give you all, the stupidest statement ever made by one of these idiots:

(Note: Aquidneck Island, which is an island in the bay which contains the small city of Newport, recently built a huge wind turbine on the north side, which was built only for additional power, not as backup or auxillary power)

Man: "We paid a lot of tax dollars for a wind turbine on Aquidneck Island. When the hurricane hit, I thought we weren't going to be left in the dark, but we were! What is going on? If anything, we should have an abundance of power."

Host: "Well, the wind turbine was not meant as a backup. Plus, even if it was the sole power source, it would have only been able to support about 10,000 people, not the 40,000 the island has. There are also still trees down all over the island which is cutting power to the population."

Man: "So, why did we built it?!"

Host: "Simply as another source of power. The same way one would build a power plant. I should also note that crews actually temporarily removed the fan blades from the turbine to prevent damage. The winds would have actually likely damaged the turbine. So even then you would be in the dark."

Man: "Well, that's stupid. We should have built something more resilient. I think wind power is great, it is clean and reusable energy, but it looks like this whole turbine on the island is just for show."

Comment

Interestingly enough, I caught the tail end of an article on NPR this morning about this very thing. Basically they said that there is many things that go into restoring power. for instance, if you live near a hospital, count your blessings because your power will likely be restored fairly quickly. But if your line is the only line down on a block, it might take a while. And restoring power is more than just hooking up the wires again. They have to assess the damage and in some cases they have to clear debris just so they can get to where the power lines are down. And it might be more than just the power lines down. So basically, they will restore power when they restore power.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                        Interestingly enough, I caught the tail end of an article on NPR this morning about this very thing. Basically they said that there is many things that go into restoring power. for instance, if you live near a hospital, count your blessings because your power will likely be restored fairly quickly. But if your line is the only line down on a block, it might take a while. And restoring power is more than just hooking up the wires again. They have to assess the damage and in some cases they have to clear debris just so they can get to where the power lines are down. And it might be more than just the power lines down. So basically, they will restore power when they restore power.
                        Exactly. People are also complaining about the power not being underground, which is something I do somewhat sympathize with. But, it would be a huge undertaking to move hundreds and possibly thousands of miles of power lines underground, which will inevitably greatly increase rates and therefore cause even more complaints.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                          Exactly. People are also complaining about the power not being underground, which is something I do somewhat sympathize with. But, it would be a huge undertaking to move hundreds and possibly thousands of miles of power lines underground, which will inevitably greatly increase rates and therefore cause even more complaints.
                          Not to mention you trade one set of issues for a whole other set of issues.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                            Not to mention you trade one set of issues for a whole other set of issues.
                            Well, I mean, my counter to that is we have all kinds of other utilities like plumbing and gas underground, not to mention new development and urban development has, in fact, the lines underground. I think moving the lines underground is feasible from a technical standpoint, just not from a cost standpoint.

Comment

Quoth The Last to Know View Post
                              Nope - I'm in Virginia, right outside of Richmond, and we got hit pretty badly. My college (where I work & attend classes) is still closed because some people still don't have power. It's the same story here - they are complaining EVERYWHERE. On the news, on Facebook - anywhere somebody will listen. Some are even threatening violence if they don't get their power back soon - just because they see a neighborhood a block or two away got theirs back. I had no faith in society before - I don't see me ever getting it back at this point.
                              My mom is SE of you, and had no power for 2 days. My 76 year old wheelchair bound who lives alone mom. Yet somehow she managed to survivie in the dark for 2 days! Oh wait, perhaps that was beacuse she was PREPARED for the storm! I too was checking the DVP facebook page and really had to resist the urge to reply to some of the f*cknuts who posted "where's my power?" "why is MY power not back on" and so on. The best ones are those who have people with medical issues. Yes, you can notify the power company of that, which you should, but it doesn't mean you get priority restoration. no way in hell that coudl happen, so you make alternate arrangements.

it's called taking responsiblity for your OWN actions, and when something like this happens, beyond anyone's control, not much you can do, so STFU, and let the people who know what they're doing do their jobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X