This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And they wonder why we tell jokes about them

So earlier this month, I got pulled over for speeding. I knew I was busted when I blew past the cop on the side road going 10 mph over the limit. This is totally my bad, and I'm not going to sit here and be all "they should be going after the real criminals!!!!ieleventy!" Especially since the officer let me off with just a warning.

So today, what should I get in the mail but a letter from an attorney, begging me not to just pay the fine and let him represent me in traffic court? Hello, there is nothing to contest! I didn't actually get a ticket.

Although I am a bit worried now that there was some kind of bureaucratic screw-up someplace where I was pulled over (several counties away from my residence), they think I actually was issued a ticket, and they're going to come and arrest me and throw me in local peck-on-the-cheek jail if I don't pay my zero dollar and zero cent fins.

I still have the warning issued to me in my glovebox. I double-checked it to make sure it wasn't an actual ticket with a fine.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Sounds like you DID get an actual ticket. How else would you have gotten a letter from that attorney?

Comment

I don't think so. There's no amount of money listed on the paper that I'm supposed to pay and I've gotten nothing else in the mail regarding this.

So if I really did get a fine, how do I find out how much it is and then go about paying it?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        I don't think so. There's no amount of money listed on the paper that I'm supposed to pay and I've gotten nothing else in the mail regarding this.

So if I really did get a fine, how do I find out how much it is and then go about paying it?

You could always call your local courthouse & make some inquiries.

Comment

When I got my speeding ticket it didn't have a dollar amount on it. I HAD to go to court to find out how much I would have to pay. It all depends on how the state and county takes care of their tickets.

If it is a warning, it should say written warning on it.. and usually the cops don't even give you a copy. I never received a copy the time I got a written warning and when I did ride alongs with the police they never gave out copies either unless it was a real ticket.

Definitely call the court house and check.

Comment

I looked up some information from the state DOT web site. It says something about sending a bond and pink copy to the clerk of courts in the county the citation was issued in if you're going to pay your fine. So I'm guessing an actual ticket would be a triplicate form.

I'm convinced this isn't a ticket, but I will call and follow up tomorrow. At least now I can sleep and not have to worry about this all day tomorrow at work.

Comment

Yeah, hopefully it isn't. Cops usually make it very clear if it is a ticket. I hope it's just a misunderstanding, but definitely check on it. You can't be too safe.

Comment

For sure, call the station or courthouse. (Un)surprisingly, this sounds like a scam that one of my more friendly/regular customers almost got sucked into. Luckily, he called like you're going to, and found out the truth.

It's kind of along the lines of those money-scams where someONE, someHOW finds out your vacuum died, your car busted, you had a ticket/warning and they send you a notice or email saying "They Can Help You Out!"

Except...their "help" is actually a VERY expensive "consultation" or sales gimmick that ends up costing you a fee. Then you never see your seller/lawyer again, and now you're out whatever money they managed to charge you.

Not saying this IS a scam. But where is the attorney located? Does it have a REAL return address? Do you know the building they are based out of? How do they answer the phone when you call? Does the station or cop know about any fine on your head?

Obviously, call the cops first, but then find out if this is an actual service!

Hope this helps. I don't even charge!

Comment

Put that warning ticket in a safe place (that you can remember where you put it). It might come in real handy someday.

You might also ask that attorney which ticket he is talking about. He may have picked you name off a list of warning tickets by mistake.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If I did, in fact, get a ticket, I plan on just paying the fine.

Comment

for being responsible.

unlike one of my previous coworkers who spent all day whining about her reckless driving ticket for driving 75 in a 55 zone.... and how she didn't deserve it and how she was going to convince the judge that it wasn't her fault because there "wasn't any sign" proclaiming the HOV lane was ended and therefore... she was 'technically' only going 10 mph above the limit instead of 20mph over. (and hoping he wouldn't notice that she was in the HOV without a passenger)

seriously people who own up to their mistakes are awesome.

(and it was hard not telling my coworker to STFU except that it would make her whine more)

Comment

If I did, in fact, get a ticket, I plan on just paying the fine.
                        Yeah, I did that. Now I'm paying $200 more for car insurance for the next 5 years. You may want to find out how much extra that point on the license will cost you before you decide not to fight.

Comment

Defensive Driving - It keeps it from being on your driving record (which will keep Ins rates down) in some cases it can be almost as expensive a "just paying the ticket" so while it may not save you money now, it can in the future - also you can send in your DD Cert (the Ins copy) and sometimes it even drops your rate - because (unless otherwise required) you don't have to show the ticket - so it looks like a "Oh, I had a sat. free and thought this class would be fun!" /sarcasm
                          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Just got off the phone. It wasn't a citation. So I guess I should have nothing else to worry about and just circular file any more letters I may get from random lawyers.

And I've been a lot more conscientious about my speed while driving.

Comment

Just got off the phone. It wasn't a citation.
                              Yay! That's good news

Comment

Working...
                              X