This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oookay? (Kinda Long)

Not sure if this is the right place, so mods, please feel free to move if needed.

BACKGROUND
    The last few years, I've been helping out with the local Pioneers' Association annual 5K road race as a steward, which basically means standing in front of moving traffic so that it won't hit the runners
    It should be noted that, while I don't drink alcohol, I am not a member of the Pioneers, nor am I a religious person. This last point will be important later.
    /BACKGROUND

So yesterday evening was the big race day and I showed up early to help out, as I do. All is well and good and we get set up ahead of schedule. I head off to take my position at a busy (and thus dangerous to the runners) intersection a half an hour before the race is due to begin. The local police keep an eye out for us and make sure we stewards are in position beforehand.

Up saunters a gentleman and begins to talk to me about the race and his own past running experience. So far all good and normal, this happens a lot. I wouldn't be writing here if it stayed normal though.

He proceeded to take a printout from his pocket and proudly display it for me. On it was a large image of the English royal family crest. He went on to point out and explain in painfully excruciating detail how the individual details proved that Prince William was the AntiChrist.

I just and thought to myself "Great. It's Uncle Vick's Irish cousin".

He next went on to use maths of all things to prove that the tragedies of September 11th and the Japanese earthquake proved "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that the Mayan's prediction of the world ending in 2012 was fact and that these were also the signs heralding the Bible's judgement day. Hoo boy.

There was a bunch of other things such as "For every argument you have against the existance of God, I have proof that will destroy it".

This lasted until the pace car (I think that's the term) in front of the runners came into view and I was required to step into traffic. First time in my life I was happy to walk in front of moving cars

Here's the suck: He actually kept it up despite my telling him repeatedly that I wasn't religious and had no real interest in who was or wasn't the AntiChrist or Doomsday prophecies.

He was the first, and hopefully only, truely crazy person I've ever met.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

that the Mayan's prediction of the world ending in 2012 was fact
    People that think this make me laugh, the mayans didn't predict jack shit, it's just that the years ontheir calender are cyclical, so yes, the mayan calendar isn't literally ending in 2012, it's just going back to the start of a new cycle.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
      He was the first, and hopefully only, truely crazy person I've ever met.
      Sorry. Technically, I'm crazy.

As a general rule, you can't tell a properly treated 'crazy person' from a neurotypical. Then you get people like my wife, who is almost impossible to keep perfectly treated: her neural anomalies shift and change too rapidly. So I've become used to living with a person who is alternately manic, psychotic and depressed. (Wheee!)

As long as you keep her from spending money unsupervised during her manias, however, she's harmless. And she's a wonderful person.

Please don't try to isolate yourself from all 'crazy' people. Some of us are great people, we're just trapped by neurochemistry or neural anatomy.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

He proceeded to take a printout from his pocket and proudly display it for me. On it was a large image of the English royal family crest. He went on to point out and explain in painfully excruciating detail how the individual details proved that Prince William was the AntiChrist.
        WOW!
        A SIGHTING!

...recently a woman here at work tried to persuade me that the whole English Royal Family are reptilians, and so are a bunch of other powerful individuals around the world. I recall her mentioning Bill Gates and LonDick Cheney.
        FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

The British Royal Family aren't the Antichrist or lizard aliens.

They are, however, carriers of werewolf blood.

That's what Doctor Who taught me.

...don't look at me like that.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            ...don't look at me like that.
            GK, we've got another one on the line for their camo pant-hat mp3 player mit BLING!©
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That's what Doctor Who taught me.
              No, no, you're right. The Doctor trumps all. Even those times when he's not exactly humanoid, himself >_>
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                No, no, you're right. The Doctor trumps all. Even those times when he's not exactly humanoid, himself >_>
                The Doctor is ALWAYS humanoid. Just not human.

There's an important distinction.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

This is very similar to some of GK's posts. Except in there I think the caller said Prince Charles was the Anti Christ.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Sorry. Technically, I'm crazy.
                    Apologies. I didn't mean to lump in regular crazy people (such as you, your wife and my best friend) with what I consider to be the truely crazy, ie the tinfoil-hat, doomsday, random-nonsense-conspiracy folk such as this guy and GK's Uncle Vick.

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    This is very similar to some of GK's posts. Except in there I think the caller said Prince Charles was the Anti Christ.
                    Hence my 'Uncle Vick's Irish cousin' thought
                    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Apologies. I didn't mean to lump in regular crazy people (such as you, your wife and my best friend) with what I consider to be the truely crazy, ie the tinfoil-hat, doomsday, random-nonsense-conspiracy folk such as this guy and GK's Uncle Vick.
                      Accepted. Thank you.

Though my ramblings on the rare occasions when my delusions do overtake me are probably pretty weird. It's a good thing I have two loving carers.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ooh, I had one of these once! He showed up before the whole "rapture" nonsense and chided me for being a "doubting Thomas" (his words). I learned a lot about his beliefs that day.
                        "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

There's an important distinction.
                          Aye, I am aware. ^_^

Awwww, does that mean the hoofed version is non-canon, then?
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Aye, I am aware. ^_^

Awwww, does that mean the hoofed version is non-canon, then?
                            I can't decide if Doctor Whooves is a clever shout-out or an abomination that should be exterminated.

Comment

I can't decide if Doctor Whooves is a clever shout-out or an abomination that should be exterminated.
                              Heh. It's actually my understanding that his similarity to The Doctor (two different ones depending on which version you mean) - much like Ditzy's (aka Derpy's) prevalence -- is actually a complete coincidence. Not sure what his real name is.

I would not put it past them, though. The amount of "no way in hell the kids will catch this reference" stuff in that show is overwhelming at times. I mean, a freaking Benny Hill chase sequence of all things, including the music? o_O
                              Last edited by EricKei; 09-03-2011, 01:00 AM. Reason: just give him a damn sonic screwdriver already and be done with it

Comment

Working...
                              X