This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiter drops the ball at the end of the meal

I went in to get some overpriced Applebee's food before work. I finished about 9:45 and my waiter brought out my check. I put my CC in the little folder thing and wait.
    And wait.
    And wait.

Finally at about 9:55 he takes the folder thing and goest to process the card. He comes back and before he hands me my CC slip to sign, he's taking orders of a party of 8 at the table next to mine. I interrupt him so I can get my CC slip and leave so I don't be late for work.

I docked a little from the tip. The total was $3 on a $21 meal.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

You only docked him $.15 IF I'd let if be known I was pressed for time and he did that I would have docked him more than that.

Comment

To be fair, he didn't know I was pressed for time. Though there was no reason he couldn't have handed me the CC slip and then took the large group's orders.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

That's better than servers I've had who do amazing the entire meal, then just don't bring you the check at the end... umm... I'd like to pay thank you.
        I even had one who said he hadn't brought it because I hadn't finished my drink... when one of the times he asked how everything was I mentioned it was good, but I wouldn't be having that drink again since it was an liquor I hadn't tried before and it wasn't what I expected (it was a very well made drink otherwise, just the liquor in it was one I didn't turn out to like)... so really, you're surprised that I didn't finish it?
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

That has always been my biggest pet peeve at restaurants. I'm in the camp who would much rather have the check early so I can pay and GTFO.

I'm not surprised this happened at Applebees because they are always slow.

Comment

I agree. I'm also fond of pre-payment.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I was left waiting half an hour after a meal waiting for my bill recently. I spent another 10 minutes trying to catch someone's eye and they just ignored me. The service had been terribly poor and I don't tip poor service, end of story.

Comment

When I dd the waiter thing looooong ago in another life, I found that a certain (very loud, often sucky) chunk of the dining populace will act downright PISSED if you try to bring them their check before a certain point. Their usual reaction is to act surprised that we'd like to turn their table and ready it for another guest...Well, yeah, they're exactly right ^_^ but some people REALLY get their knickers in a twist about it and act mortally offended. I think that is why many Servers are nervous about taking checks "too soon". Unless you are a regular with that Server, they often have no way of knowing.

Most of the folks who want it early are much cooler about it. I have found that most servers understand the "drawing a checkmark in midair" or miming a signature just fine, tho, if you are in a hurry.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

As someone who doesn't even work in the food industry, I HATE customers like that. You'd think having the check brought early would be preferable to having to wait. But I guess some people just need something to act all offended over.

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
                    As someone who doesn't even work in the food industry, I HATE customers like that. You'd think having the check brought early would be preferable to having to wait. But I guess some people just need something to act all offended over.
                    Or maybe they were wanting to get more cocktails, or dessert, after their meal and wanted to let their meal settle first before doing so. Granted, with most restaurant management software these days, you don't have to close out the table to print the check and its no trouble to print a new one after you add more purchases, many people would rather not see the check until they're really done.

If the server is attentive and checks on the table from time to time, most servers don't mind being asked for the check. I'm also a fan of the Ziosk system that seems to be popping up at Chilis where you can pay and even order dessert via electronic device right at the table (and it gives you a "call server" button if you need anything else but haven't seen your server).
                    "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                    "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                    My MySpace
                    My LiveJournal

Comment

If the server is attentive and checks on the table from time to time, most servers don't mind being asked for the check. I'm also a fan of the Ziosk system that seems to be popping up at Chilis where you can pay and even order dessert via electronic device right at the table (and it gives you a "call server" button if you need anything else but haven't seen your server).
                      I haven't seen that yet, but it sounds great.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I can also see the potential for annoyance by SC's. It's the same reason I hate having a bell at my hotel.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero
                          I can also see the potential for annoyance by SC's. It's the same reason I hate having a bell at my hotel.
                          Offtopic: this reminds me of the scene from MiB where Edgar!Bug goes to the morgue to get the galaxy and keeps ringing the bell.

I'll go hide now. (I just rewatched that movie last night.)
                          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Working...
                          X