This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the moon, lady, to the moon!

This happened to my best friend, so I don't have all the details, but the basic story is this:

As you may or may not be aware, my best friend has had cancer more than once; she's currently fighting her fourth to be exact. I didn't know her yet during her first cancer, but for her 2nd and 3rd ones I helped arrange a "Shave Her Head" party. For the third cancer, we had games, ate snacks, and the highlight of the evening was her brother and husband taking sheers to her head. Hey, it's what she wanted; she's not into pity parties or people feeling bad for her.

Just to add a little to the background, she is young. She just turned 30 last month, so almost all these cancers were while she was in her 20s.

She works retail. A couple days after we shaved her head, there was a customer that complained to her boss after being served by her. This customer thought that surely a girl with a shaved head would be a member of a gang or cult or something equally "evil."

Her boss didn't take this complaint very well and apparently got pretty emotional. She told the customer exactly why her head is shaved just to make the customer wince and let her know that she is not to return with that attitude ever again.

The customer is lucky I wasn't there while she complained.

Complaining about somebody having a shaved head? That's sad.

Comment

I'm glad she has an awesome boss. Nobody's business how anyone wears their hair.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

A woman with a shaved head? *GASP!* Next thing you know, they'll be wearing PANTS!

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
          A woman with a shaved head? *GASP!* Next thing you know, they'll be wearing PANTS!
          Our biggest mistake wasn't letting them vote, or wear shoes. It was teaching them to talk! [/MCPig]
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
            And they'll be wanting to work on building sites!

And they'll be insisting that you change the babies nappy/diaper.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I bet that customer thinks twice before saying "Shaved head = evil!" Once you shame someone for something like that they remember it.

Comment

When my cousin was working at Wal-mart she was diagnosed with cancer, and lost all her hair due to the treatment.

One of our managers started bad mouthing her about the wig she got, let's just say I told my cousin what exactly to do, and that manager was no longer working at that store anymore (I think she might have been fired for that act).

She's lucky she didn't say anything around me, job be dammed, I would have laid it into her.

Comment

Sorry. I mis-typed. It was the consumer's behavior that sickens me.
                  Last edited by Kristev; 02-24-2012, 04:42 AM. Reason: An incorrect word that altered my meaning
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
                    When my cousin was working at Wal-mart she was diagnosed with cancer, and lost all her hair due to the treatment.

One of our managers started bad mouthing her about the wig she got, let's just say I told my cousin what exactly to do, and that manager was no longer working at that store anymore (I think she might have been fired for that act).
                    Just desserts! You don't treat a cancer patient like that, even if you are her boss. That's just cruel, and a firing is deserved in that case.

And kudos to the manager in the OP for giving a much-deserved chastising to the SC. Let's hope the SC learned the lesson well.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

That's what people get for making nasty assumptions like that. While it's nothing to your friend's cancer, I had to shut down a similar SC on Friday. We were extremely busy due to being several people short, and we were even down a cashier. This woman kept bitching and griping and saying her Rx should have been done an hour ago, etc. It wasn't vital meds, and by policy, we shouldn't have even filled it until the following day, but she insisted on being moved up. I'd had enough.

"Ma'am, I apologize if we're inconveniencing you, but one of our employees had a family emergency and had to leave unexpectedly to say goodbye to someone on their death bed."

Cue sheepish SC. I hate people sometimes, they don't realize that there's more to the world than their little life and that they are not the sun around which everyone else revolves.
                      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Friend of mine here some years ago played in a popular thrash band and every other week was doing something whacky to his hair. Every now and then he'd just shave it all off and start over.

He was walking around bald one weekend and some toolbag with a girl on his arm came up and made some sort of rude comment about the bald head. Chuck got this really grim look on his face and said "you know, compared to the shit I have to field from assholes like you, the chemo and the cancer is a fucking walk in the park. Thanks. The shitty comments help a lot."

Cue the asshole's girlfriend turning around and slapping the shit out of said asshole. "You insensitive bastard!!" and all that. Guy's stammering and red in the face. Chuck stomps off.

One might argue that Chuck pulling the C card is foul play, but you know what? Next time asshole decides to bully someone, maybe he'll think twice. Next time it might have BEEN someone going though something awful. So screw that guy.

Comment

I shaved my head recently. Not because of the Big C or chemo or because of any inherent evilness (though that IS there... ), but because my hairline's receding so much and thinning so much on top and going grayer and grayer that I finally decided "fuck it" and shaved it off.

It's a lot easier to maintain, and it looks good on me, so what the hell.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Yeah, when I worked for public television the youngest member of the crew was balder than a peeled onion.

He was also drop dead gorgeous.

I asked him why he shaved his head (he was something like twenty two or three... a baby) and he confessed because he was balding pretty badly and figured he'd look better bald than sporting the whole male pattern thing.

Seemed to work for him. In fact, not sure hair would have done anything for him. The baldness just sent attention to his handsome face with no distractions.

Comment

Some of the most awesome and 'Good' people I've known were bald, and most just didn't have any hair to grow.

I'm still wondering when I'll get my first stereotype comment due to my full beard.

Comment

Working...
                              X