This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
    I think some of it may have to do with how old the mall in question is - because I've noticed that with the Claire's stores in the recently built outdoor malls, the cash register is in the middle of the store, so if there's a line, customers aren't "trapped" at one end of the store.
    Some of it is also because many vendors...like to put as many items on the floor as possible. One of the hobby shops I frequent was like that. The store had opened in 1945, and been remodeled some time in the 1970s. Originally, the building they were in, contained two separate stores. These were later combined during a 1970s-era remodeling. They had more room for shelving, but not really enough to display everything. The 'upper' room (which was the original store), where the trains were, wasn't too bad for aisle width. However, the 'lower' room, which had the model kits...was a bit cramped. There really wasn't a practical way to house everything, without stacking kits on shelves to the ceiling. Not that they weren't like that anyway... Ideally, they could have taken out the wall between the two rooms, raised the floor (the 'upper' room's floor was about 4 feet *higher*), and maybe had enough room. But, as it was, the shop didn't actually own the building. Moot point now, since they moved into a much larger place a few block away. No crowded aisles there!
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You know, stores like this (in the U.S. and aisles too narrow) are in fact in serious violation of the law. The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) specifies there must be at least 28 inches of clear space, more than enough for a stroller as it is a requirement that any establishment catering to the general public MUST have sufficient room in their aisles for a wheelchair to navigate safely. There is no option on this.

Of course, there is not much recourse for this other than a politely worded letter to their corporate HQ. But if enough people complain, they will do something about it.
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Well excuuuuuusssse me princess!

Comment

PERFECT response to "would you move out of the way, even though you don't have enough room to move at all?"
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
          X