This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifter Denied

So, we dropped a few things off at the new house, checked it out again for various things, and talked more about our plans for the property. Then, we headed down to what will be our new local grocery store.

We get there and find that the parking lot is pretty badly designed. It could use a repaving, and it desperately needs to have the lines repainted. Plus, it appears that the drivers there suck much worse than the drivers here, and it's only 5 miles away. >_<

As we're wandering the aisles, checking out how it's laid out differently than our current store, we turn up the pet supply aisle. We're low on the kitties' gooshy food so we start looking for where they keep it.

As we turn into the aisle, I notice this guy stuffing what looks like a bag of kitty treats or similar into a side pocket on his shorts. I give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he's just sticking it there because he was too stupid to get a cart. But it quickly becomes obvious that he plans to shoplift whatever it was, as he is adjusting his pocket to not look crammed full of unpaid-for merchandise as he saunters his way to the checkouts with the couple of items he planned to actually buy.

I'm keeping cool while keeping an eye on him without being too obvious (despite us being the only white people in the entire store). I watch him fistbump the security guy and keep on trucking. I give him time to get out of my general vicinity, then call the security guy on over and let him know that the guy he just fistbumped has stuff in his pocket. He thanks me and turns around to go have a chat with the would-be thief.

We go on our way and are on the end aisle with the baked goods when the security guy walks on by and puts a bag of rotisserie chicken foodstuffs back under the heatlamp where they're kept. As he passes, he thinks me for the heads up on the thief and we go on about our business.

On a brighter note, when we got to the checkout, we moved to the shortest lane as another older guy is just deciding to move to the same line. We're in no hurry so we go ahead and let him ahead of us. He gushes at us for being nice and that it really made his day as he'd been going through a lot of stuff (which he proceeds to tell us about at length ) and he really appreciated what we did.

We got to thwart a shoplifter and make someone's day all in one shopping trip. I'd say it was a good night.

Oh, and the cake was delicious, too.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Wow. You have to be an absolutely wonderful cat owner or seriously deranged to steal kitty treats. I'm going with the second one.

'grats on the new digs, hope you settle in well.

Comment

I'm wondering though... If the guy fist-bumps security, do they know each other?

part of me just wonders if security kinda already knew... and was going to let it slide until another customer noticed.

Comment

There's a good chance they do know each other, and it's also next to impossible for the guard to have known he'd stuffed a bag of cooked chicken in his pocket, so even if he might have let it go otherwise, it wasn't a decision he'd made in this case.

Judging by the guard's reactions, both when I told him and after he'd retrieved the item, he seemed genuinely happy to have stopped it from walking out the door without being paid for. Also, as far as I can tell, all he did was tell the guy to hand it over and nothing more came of it. Plus, it looks good for him to stop it from happening since that is what they pay him for.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

At least the cake wasn't a lie
          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

ok so i'm confused...there was chicken in the guys pants or what-not, and it was put back out to sell? yick...lol

but glad the guy didn't get away with it

Comment

It was a sealed (zip lock style) bag of broiled chicken that is cooked and sold the same day. He had stuffed it into a side pocket on his oversized shorts. The only part that got touched was the outside of the bag, and I imagine that the hands that paw over those things while they're out are often far worse than the inside of the pocket.

^-.-^

Comment

good point LOL...ty for the clarification ^_^

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  It was a sealed (zip lock style) bag of broiled chicken that is cooked and sold the same day. He had stuffed it into a side pocket on his oversized shorts. The only part that got touched was the outside of the bag, and I imagine that the hands that paw over those things while they're out are often far worse than the inside of the pocket.

^-.-^
                  that's one BIG ass pocket

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    that's one BIG ass pocket
                    No, no, i think it was a big side pocket...
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                    X