This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "That's not my job." LONG

Considering I'm one of those workers who likes to go above and beyond to help people out, this situation had me so angry I could have punched a baby seal in the face.

b/g - I work in a huge international airport retail store. This story takes place on the first floor, where restrooms and auto rental agencies are located. end b/g

I was walking into work one afternoon and had just entered the building when I decided I'd take a quick potty break. Making a beeline for the nearest restroom, I had taken two steps into the small pathway leading to the restroom when a horrendous smell hit my nostrils. Knowing what I would find, I looked to the floor and, of course, there was a GIANT puddle of vomit sitting innocently in front of the bathroom entrance. Looks like someone didn't make it in time.

Really gross, but it happens. Figuring that I'd get this taken care of immediately (since I'm such a good little worker), I went over to the first airport employee I could find in order to ask for assistance. This woman was behind the counter for one of the major auto rental agencies. Since there were no other customers in line, I figured I could inform her of what was going on, have her page the janitor, and then run to the nearest clean restroom before work.

I walked up to the counter and said, "Someone threw up in the bathroom." (Straight to the point. That's how I roll.)

Her answer? "That's not my job."

I...what? That's not your job? Oh I'm sorry, I must have misspoken. I thought I was simply insinuating that you use the phone behind your desk and contact someone higher up to inform them of the issue. Apparently, instead of doing so, I had demanded that you pull a mop and bucket out of your ass, leave your post, and go clean up the vomit puddle that's located about 200 feet away. My bad, let me reiterate.

"Uh, can you call the janitor?" There we go, that's a bit more to the point!

"No."

...I...Huh. Okay. "Do you know their number?"

"No."

Well, I guess we'll leave the vomit puddle for another day, then. I thanked her in a tone dripping with the "You are a lazy douche" message, then went to clock in at my own store. I informed my managers of the bathroom issue, but I bet no one did anything about it.

I feel bad for the poor janitor when they finally found the mess. How long does vomit take until it cakes to the floor?
    Last edited by Moosenogger; 09-21-2011, 01:30 AM.

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
    I feel bad for the poor janitor when they finally found the mess. How long does vomit take until it cakes to the floor?
    I think I'd be more concerned about how long it took to eat through the floor. Hopefully your store is on a higher floor.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      I think I'd be more concerned about how long it took to eat through the floor. Hopefully your store is on a higher floor.
      Our store is actually located on the 3rd level of the building, so we were well out of range in case the puke puddle ate through the very floor. Considering how our state is notorious for sink holes, I'd be more worried that it started some sort of domino effect and ended up eating the entire airport whole.

Well, I do recall that restroom having to be renovated a few months later, so who knows?

Comment

Ugh. What a lazy ass. Would you be able to report that person for being rude?
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I probably could have, but this was awhile ago. I probably should have asked for her manager, but I only had a few minutes until my shift started so I couldn't.

Comment

Reminds me of my second day at work where I went into the restroom (open to the public) in the store I worked at and found one of the stalls *covered* in diarrhea, toilet, floor, walls, everything. I, being the eager newbie, informed one of the assistant managers who thanked me politely and said not to worry, she'd let the janitors know. Four hours later it was still there. Turns out the janitors only came twice a day and we'd just missed their first stop.
            My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

At least you found out about it! We had someone puke in our customer bathroom, located just off the selling floor. We think it was a kid, who's mom took them and ran, as when another customer finally let us know, it was dried and impossible to clean off. And all over th back and behind the toilet. UGH.

Comment

Working...
              X