Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a geko in every room. We've named them all. They're wild gekos that have made it into the apartment somehow. They're considered good luck around here, and hell they keep the bug population down, so I have no problems with them. If only they could take care of the ants. EVERYBODY has ants here!

Comment

Just because someone needs to start doing Sheldon's job around here.....
      Quoth Lady_Pigeon View Post
      As I begin to move out the door the lizard starts climbing my leg!
      <snip>
      I finish giving the lizard a ride to the bushes outside and wander back into the shop
      Quoth iradney View Post
      Wow, that lizard tried to get fresh! And didn't even take you out for dinner beforehand...what kind of girl did he think you were anyway?
      edited for cheap humour
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Bugs, spiders, creepy crawlies, none of these worry me. The only spiders I kill are ones that go on my bed, which as far as I'm concerned is a no-go zone. Otherwise huge huntsmen spiders are welcome in my house. I love pet rats, but not wild rats, and I really can't stand mice, pet or wild, probably a result of my cat leaving "presents" for me when I was sleeping. Mice are creepy.

As for reptiles, the only reptile I have a problem with is snakes. I think of it as a self-preservation thing, but it is a real phobia in that I can't stand to watch them on tv or see photo's of them. Growing up in country Victoria where you could easily find copperheads and tiger snakes (dad killed 3 copperheads when he encountered them while gardening), I stand by my statement it is just self-preservation. My motto is there is only 2 good snakes, dead and jelly. Allen's killer pythons....yummy, though the boa's were better.

Does that mean I have to turn in my girl card? My brother and cousin refused to bait their hooks when we went fishing cos the bait was slimy, where I had no trouble. I would love to get a couple of pet rats, and have been thinking that a red-back spider would be really cool tattooed on my shoulder. I think that should offset my snake phobia. I've been accused on many occasions that I'm not a real girl, though my F-cups kind of proves that I am.

And Seshat, I stay away from furry caterpillars too, but that's just common sense. Those things can hurt. As a child, my cousin always told me I could collect the green caterpillars, but stay away from the black furry ones.

Comment

lol. Its just a lizard. They are cute as hell. I get them in my house all the time because they manage to get under the door jams. They are these itty bitty chameleons and geckos. I once had a skink too. My cat thinks they're toys so I rescue them asap. I can't stand spiders and bugs, but mice and even rats are adorable even if I wouldn't want them in my house. I don't like snakes but they don't terrify me.

I have seen nutria (sp? they are giant rodents that live in Louisiana), and we once had a possum outside our house that I thought was adorable.
          Last edited by Moirae; 10-14-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Quoth ozcatbug View Post
            And Seshat, I stay away from furry caterpillars too, but that's just common sense. Those things can hurt. As a child, my cousin always told me I could collect the green caterpillars, but stay away from the black furry ones.
            Now that's something. I grew up with the green hairless caterpillars being the most poisonous, especially the ones with red spots. Woolly Bears, on the other hand, are adorable and quite safe. And I won't pick up many bugs, but rescuing woolly bears from being squished in the parking lot at work is an enjoyable way to spend my breaks in the spring.
            What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

I loved picking up woolly bears. But most of the hairy 'pillars are nasty. Tent and gypsy caterpillars -- right into the lake to feed the fish, since they were invasive. There were beautiful white fuzzy caterpillars with black stitching that we called Angela-biters, since my cousin found out the hard way that they shouldn't be touched.

Comment

I would hand in my girl card, but I think I've already done so for being-able-to-DIY, fixing a kit car, riding a motorbike and reading comics...

We have a beardie and she is adorable (in a spiky sort of way). Don't get many wild lizards etc in the UK, but I like reptile houses. Apart from those annoying children that tap the glass and go "Mommy, why isn't it moving?! Make it move!". It's a snake. It's asleep, or bored by you. Leave it alone and go see the monkeys if you want something exciting.
                I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
                  Leave it alone and go see the monkeys if you want something exciting.
                  Mommy, what is the monkey doing with it's hand?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Or: "Look, he's throwing chocolate icecream!"
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
                      We have a beardie and she is adorable (in a spiky sort of way). Don't get many wild lizards etc in the UK, but I like reptile houses. Apart from those annoying children that tap the glass and go "Mommy, why isn't it moving?! Make it move!"
                      Paging Dudley Dursley...
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

"I get that all the time."

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
                          Don't get many wild lizards etc in the UK, but I like reptile houses. Apart from those annoying children that tap the glass and go "Mommy, why isn't it moving?! Make it move!".
                          Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Paging Dudley Dursley...
                          That's exactly what I was thinking!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                            I should surrender my girl card then...
                            Quoth dragon_wings View Post

*pulls out girl card* Someone need to take this?
                            And perhaps I should take it, if I had a lizard crawl up my bare leg I would be screaming... loudly
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Lady_Pigeon View Post
                              ...the lizard starts climbing my leg! I wrap my skirt around my leg before the lizard climbs any higher...
                              Reminds me of Cosby and mice climbing legs...

"Who told them that's where they hid the cheese?"
                              Last edited by dalesys; 10-18-2011, 04:15 PM.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

When I took my animal care NVQ, I handed the beardies and geckos fearlessly, and was the only person to handle the hissing cockroaches. Nothing wrong with lizards, snakes, spiders... only thing that gets me scared is bees, and I think I have every right to be scared of those, seeing as I'm allergic.
                                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                                X