X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part sighting/part general work

Sucky week at work last week

Because this is a very long post, I will make 2 postings.

Background information:

Both my co-worker and I work as contract visitor parking attendants at a university. The parking office is the client. The parking office is over visitor parking. The parking company we both work for has a contract with the client. The immidiate supervisor we both report to works for the parking company. The existing visitor parking garage is currently under rennovation. The first level of the faculty/staff garage is currently being used for vsitor parking. Levels 2 through 4 are for faculty/staff.

Cast of characters:

co-worker
    me
    Nancy *not her real name*: parking office clerk
    Missy *not her real name*: parking office clerk
    Andrea *not her real name*: Director of Parking & Transportation; Nancy's & Missy's boss

Tuesday Sighting:

Co-worker had to save several visitor parking spots for the second shift, my shift, but when I got to work 15 minutes early, visitor parking was almost full. My shift begins at 1 p.m. So he put out the big white sign stating visitor parking is closed for a special event & called the parking office to let them know what he did & why. Nancy answered the phone, & she was not too happy. She also wanted to talk to me. I could tell while she was speaking to me that she was not happy. She told me to not let anyone into visitor parking unless they tell me exactly which event they are here for, which is posted on the outlook calendar. Female customer drives up to the booth window. Here is what happened.

female: "Hi, I'm back from my class. I need to park."
    co-worker: "I am sorry, but we are full."
    female: "The garage is full?"
    co-worker: "Yes, the garage is full."
    female: "How can the garage be full?"
    co-worker" I am sorry, but the garage is full."
    female: "Oh...so if I teach here, I cannot park?"
    co-worker: "It is not a matter of your teaching here, the garage is full. The best thing I can do is to raise the gate for you to exit. I apologize."
    female *now pissy*: "Well..ok..then I guess I have to find other parking. If I cannot, I will just not teach today."

I had to refrain from asking her "what part of full do you not understand?"

General work on Tuesday:

Nancy called me soon after my shift began to tell me that 2 customers had told me exactly which event they were here for, which was on the outlook calendar & that I told them they could not park. She told me that the dept. having the event called them because 2 customers had told them this. At that point I had only dealt with a young twenty-something just wanting to park in the garage & go to the 3rd floor, which is where Admissions & so on are. I told her that 1) no-one told me what they were here for, 2) I had only dealt with one customer so for, who was not here for anything on the outlook calendar, & 3) the fact that I told 2 people here for an event that they could not park never happened. She told me that the 2 customers would return to park & to ask them exactly which event were they here for. They never returned.

Then there have been problems with the "box" that you insert your token into so you can exit even though someone from the company that the university bought the equipment from *which I was told is around 30 to 31 years old*, came to fix it a couple of weeks ago. Both Nancy & Missy have come down to fix the problem after the person had left, but the problem still continues. Shortly after my shift began Nancy calls me, speaking in an accusatory tone of voice, wanting to know why the exit gate was raised for a vehicle. I told her why, & that the customer had given me their token. Missy came down to fix the problem again. While Missy was fixing the problem, Nancy called me to ask why I let some cars into the garage. At that point I had not, & so I told her that.

The parking office closes at 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Around 7 p.m. Missy calls me from her cell phone to let me know that she was in her car behind another car inside vistor parking at the exit gate for 10 minutes. According to her, that car belonged to a visitor who had to press the call button at the exit gate for help because I had not raised the gate for them. When I tried to ask her questions to find out what happened, she kept talking over me. She also accused me of giving her an attitude & of not beleiving that she was behind this customer. I really do not know if this particular visitor literally sat at the exit gate for 10 minutes.

End of first post.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM.

This is sounding crazy.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

For never wanting to answer their phones or get involved, the parking office sure likes to scour security tapes and micromanage, don't they.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

They're playing a game my mother loves to play: Go around seeking a reason to be unhappy and start screaming.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
        X