Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you still talking, please just call security on me already!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you still talking, please just call security on me already!

While I was on a monthlong road trip to scope out potential places to relocate to, I spent a little time visiting my sister in Atlanta, GA. She couldn't afford to take days off from her courier job so I rode along with her. As a courier, her general job procedure is: drive like crazy to one location, spend five minutes picking up a package, drive like crazy to the delivery location, trade package for a signature from the recipient, leap back into car like a flying squirrel, and repeat. On this particular day, one of our stops (don't recall if we were picking up or dropping off) was a very small hospital in a small, rural town that, where I'm from, would have been called a suburb.

We took a quick lap around the property before stopping the car in what looked like a pullout zone for five-minute tasks such as these. It was huge and empty, and I didn't see any "patient loading zone" signs, or anything resembling a "no parking" designation, so we went for it. Sis killed the engine and took her keys with her, along with her courier goods, and dashed into the building. Maybe 45-60 seconds after she entered the building, this unfolded.

V: Volunteer (according to her photo ID, though I suspect the ID badge was just the only blank they had on-hand when she had hers made, and that her actual title was Demon Lord of Parking Facilities)
    Sis: My sister, the courier
    Me: Wishing I could afford to pay Sis to take the day off work instead!

V: *knocks on windshield, then opens driver-side door, which would have scared me a lot more except V had already demonstrated her level of critical thinking skills by opening the driver's door to talk to the passenger in a car with all of its windows down* You can't park here.
    Me: I'm sorry, I didn't realize that. Sis is a courier; she's just handling a package, and she's got the keys with her. As soon as she gets back, we'll move the car, and it won't happen again.

Should be the end of it, right? Yeah, right. She leaned even closer into the car, so that she's actually inside with me, from the waist up.

V: Yeah, see, the problem is you can't park here. This is for dropping off and loading patients only. You need to move to the parking garage. I have to call security if you park here. I'll wait five minutes, but if she doesn't move her car, I have to call security. (This speech will henceforth be known as "V's three points"... you'll see why in a minute.)

Oooookay, little bit freaky, but five minutes, that'll work. It takes about 3-5 minutes to make each stop, and even if it takes longer, it'll take security a minute to show up, and the towing company a good 10 minutes at most, and that's if they're just sitting around waiting for a call. V can do her sworn duty, and Sis likely won't get anything worse than a stern warning from the hospital security guard, and all's well. I nod and say "yes, ma'am" and that's the end of it, right? Riiiiiight. V straightens up just enough to look around at the various doors, as if scanning the area for unseen threats, then leans back in and keeps talking at me.

V: *V's three points, twice over, with slightly different words*
    Me: Yes, I'm very sorry. I must not have seen the sign that said this was a no-parking zone, and as soon as the courier gets back with the keys, we will move the car.
    V: Oh no, there aren't any signs. You just can't park here. It's for patient dropoff and pickup only. Everybody knows that. *V's three points. Again.*
    Me: *reconsidering my idea to move to Atlanta* I cannot move the car without the keys. Sis is handling a package, and when she gets back with the keys, we will leave immediately.
    V: You're couriers?
    Me: Yes ma'am, we sure are. *pointing to the huge logo on the car*
    V: And the driver of the car has the keys?
    Me: Yes ma'am, I'm very sorry about this. *you know, everyone I met in Fort Lauderdale seemed bright, maybe I'd like to live there*

V: You tell her she has to stop parking here. *V's three points*
    Me: If you have to call security, that's all right with me. I'd move if I could, but I don't know how to hot-wire a car, so I have to wait for Sis to get back with the keys.
    V: Well, but see, I have to go call security.
    Me: *gives up talking and decides to never visit this city again, due to the severe IQ shortage*
    V: *V's three points, over and over and over and... you get the idea*
    Sis: *overhears a couple cycles of V's points as she approaches the car* I'm sorry, I didn't know, and I won't park here again!

V is still, at this point, holding onto the car door in one hand, the car frame in the other, and is leaning over with her upper body stuck into the car, babbling at me. Sis has to shove past V in order to get into the car, and then tugs the door out of V's hand and stares very pointedly at V's other hand, before V gets the hint and lets go of the car. Unfortunately, it's a lovely Georgia summer afternoon, so our car windows are wide open, much like the throttle on V's righteous fury.

V: *throws three MORE cycles of her three points at Sis, before I stopped counting them*
    Me: (quietly enough that V can't hear) She won't shut up, just drive away before she decides to call the cops on us for politely listening to her!

So Sis starts the car, checks that V's not done anything dumb like put her feet under a wheel, and we pull away. V follows us on foot for the entire length of the not-parking area, repeating her three points the entire time, then walks back to the doorway of the building and stares silently at us, while holding a phone to her ear, as Sis very carefully drives the 5mph speed limit all the way to the property exit. I don't know what the V's problem was, but I do know one thing. After my visit to Atlanta, Husband and I are scheduling a house-hunting trip -- to Florida.

Sounds like you were dealing with Bill Lumbergh's sister. When I was reading that, all I could think of was "Yeah... it's just that we're putting new cover sheets on the TPS reports. So if you could make sure to do that from now on, that would be great. And I'll make sure you get a copy of that memo."
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I'm sure the main reason V volunteers is so she can boss around sick people who can't fight back, and their stressed-out visitors.

I would suggest your sister get the names of some of the doctors who are heads of their departments, then if she runs into V again, she can just say, "Oh, I'm on a rush for Dr. [title sounds way more important than it is], and he needs this delivered ASAP."
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Wow. Starting reboot sequence in 3... 2... 1...

Comment

o god.

yeah. i'm surprised you DIDN'T tell her "shut the fuck up and call security then."

although i'm wondering if security would have backed her up... or if they'd have rolled their eyes at her...

which may be why she never tried calling them in the first place

Comment

Quoth PepperElf
            although i'm wondering if security would have backed her up... or if they'd have rolled their eyes at her...

I think they would have laughed in her face and told her not to bother them for such inane things.
            Which would probably be why she kept threatening but didn't do anything. 'All bark and no bite' comes to mind.
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

if its patient drop off pick up only then there should be proper signage. if there wasnt proper signage then your sister had every right to be there.

being the loudmouth i am i would have probabley told V to shut up and push off :-)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

This is what I'm thinking... she seemed afraid to turn loose her grip on the car, as if we'd just evaporate and the excitement would be all over. I kind of had this mental image of her standing there with security going, "No really, there WAS a car, right here!"

I so badly wanted to tell this person exactly what I thought about her, her job, and the horse she rode in on. But Sis doesn't have many job options at this point in life, and she really needs not to rock the boat. If it were just me, and my job at stake, this would have required the NSFW tag!

Comment

Quoth Maria View Post
                  V: knocks on windshield, then opens driver-side door, which would have scared me a lot more except V had already demonstrated her level of critical thinking skills by opening the driver's door to talk to the passenger in a car with all of its windows down
                  At this I would have pulled out my cell, called 911 (emergency) to report a potential carjacking, or worse.

Quoth Maria View Post
                  She leaned even closer into the car, so that she's actually inside with me, from the waist up.
                  Now I would be looking for something to physically defend myself with, while telling the 911 operator the intruder was inside the car and threatening me.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Maria, you are so much more patient than I am. after the second time she repeated her self I would have told her to get out.
                    "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Aw man, there's a real pit bull if I ever seen one.

"Move your vehicle, or I will explain the reasons why you have to a second time!"
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Psych ward, you have an escapee on the loose...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Made me think of Airplane!:
                          Male announcer: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone.
                          Female announcer: No, the white zone is for loading of passengers and there is no stopping in a RED zone.
                          Male announcer: The red zone has always been for loading and unloading of passengers. There's never stopping in a white zone.
                          Female announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for stopping!
                          Male announcer: Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.
                          Male announcer: There's just no stopping in a white zone.
                          Last edited by Dave1982; 10-22-2011, 12:23 AM. Reason: FRATCHING!
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Maria View Post
                            V: You tell her she has to stop parking here. *V's three points*
                            Me: If you have to call security, that's all right with me. I'd move if I could, but I don't know how to hot-wire a car, so I have to wait for Sis to get back with the keys.
                            V: Well, but see, I have to go call security.

"OMFG, lady call security already. At least it'll get you away from me. Creeper."
                            Random conversation:
                            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Sounds to me like she may have had some sort of mental disability, considering the way she kept repeating herself and the obvious lack of awareness of personal space and touching other people's property.

Either way, it was inapproriate for her to react that way. I would have just gone in and explained the situation to whomever was in charge.
                              Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Working...
                              X