This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashier of... what?

So tonight I made a run to the local Mart of Wal. I needed some items from the WIC check, and butter as well. For those who don't know, on WIC you can get things like cereal. My check said I could get 38oz of cereal. Now, I fully understand that this can be any of the approved cereals, and that I can mix and match sizes between 12oz to 38oz, as long as the amount does not go over the prescribed amount. Not using this full amount is ALSO ok, and will save the state a few dollars. Today, I couldn't find a 12oz cereal to get to the 'magic' 38oz's, but that was ok with me. So... on to the story

I go to check out, and it was a bit akward to start(I couldn't seem to separate the two checks, the one I was using, and the one I'll use next week). The cashier separated them for me, but then didn't give back the other until I had asked for it back. She started to mumble about the cereal being more than 16 ounces, and I pointed out that the 16 ounces was for the dried beans, while pointing to the beans. She then said that the cereal wasn't the amount on the check, and that I could go get another. Cue me explaining that there were none currently out there, and I was ok with going for the lesser amount this time. Cue her slowly explaining that once she put this check in her drawer, I couldn't get it back, I wasn't going to get the other cereal. She couldn't just cross parts off and let me take it for later. Bwaah? I didn't ask for it. I said I knew.

I didn't feel like getting into a long discussion about it with the checkout lady, so I dropped it. I fully understand how WIC works. I've been on it before, and this isn't my first WIC transaction. I've been taught each time that NOT getting something on the check is OK. Those funds will go back to help myself/others next time.

Move on to the non-WIC transaction which contains all of butter and a box of Christmas Cards. Since Newbie is due to arrive in the next 2-3 weeks(or less) I figure if I start NOW, they might actually get sent out.

The Cashier comments on the cards being cute, and I said that I was due in a few weeks, and I'm going to put the baby's footprint on the inside cover of each. She then told me about her daughter(or daughter in law?) who was supposed to be having a girl, then "POP, it was a boy!" I said that's part of why I choose not to find out the gender, and before I can say any more she interrupts me with this shocked look and says "But then how do you know what to buy?" I say that unless you get a dna test, you can't be quite sure since the ultrasound can be flawed, as she was just telling me. I got this cat butt face of a sour look and so I just cut off the rest of what I was saying and was quiet while I finished paying.

Gah. I didn't bring up the gender thing, you did. Don't CBF me.
    Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Why do people insist that you need different things for a baby girl than for a baby boy? I do not get it!

Comment

To give her the benefit of the doubt, I've met people on WIC who haven't the first idea how it works. That being said, the proper way to handle that is "Just checking, you know you won't be able to get the rest of the cereal later, right?"
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Little known fact: that little baby girl does not care if she is in blue pajamas. I have a little boy, and all the blue I was getting drove me up the wall! (I'm thankful for all the gifts that I was given, please don't think I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth.)My hubby and I ended up getting lots of greens and browns and oranges just to get away from the 'boys colours'.

The cashier is probably used to a lot of people not knowing how to use the WIC, or trying to use it improperly.

Comment

We didn't want to know ahead of time. Whatever God sent was all right with us. Just so s/he was healthy, that's all we asked for.

Before my first child was born, my wife and I took Lamaze classes. The RN running the class started out by asking "OK, who of you know what you're having?" All the participants but us and one Indian couple raised their hands.

The nurse glares around at the class and says, "Boy, you must all be the kind of people who open their Christmas presents in November!"

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
            The nurse glares around at the class and says, "Boy, you must all be the kind of people who open their Christmas presents in November!"
            I am! I don't do well with surprises. We had debated not knowing, but I was getting twitchy before we were even pregnant enough to see!

Comment

i made a baby blanket for a woman in my old church choir... since i wasn't sure what gender the baby was going to be i just picked a light green.

Comment

My girlfriend likes to make baby blankets for expecting friends/relatives and I enjoy helping her out. I've always liked giving greens and yellows for baby blankets when we don't know what the gender of the baby is going to be.

I remember when I was nine and my first little brother was still in the womb, it was explained to me how generally unreliable ultrasounds are, but we still knew he was going to be a boy.

Most of the time, you can't really be sure from looking at the ultrasound. There's lots of educated guesswork involved, but it's still guesswork. But somewhere early in the third trimester, my little brother decided to go spread-eagle for the camera, leaving no doubt or guessing whatsoever.
                Flood

Comment

I love surprises, my mom used to tell me were she hid the Christmas gifts so I wouldn't find them by mistake and get upset.

I'm knitting Newbie a baby blanket in blues and white. In my eyes, it is winter colors, since Newbie will be here in December. I find that colors are... colors, lol. Our daughter wore a Camo onsie home from the hospital
                  Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

TTO and I don't want to know either. I already have some responses for those people who say "So what DO you want?"

I would really like some chocolate
                    I'm hoping for a puppy
                    Oh, TTO wants horns and talons, but I'll just be happy with a healthy growth of scale...
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I didn't want to know either, after waiting for years (and giving up even thinking of hoping) I was just happy to get whatever I was given.

Having said that.. the closer I got to my due date, the more sure I was that I was having a boy (and I did). I don't know why, it was just a feeling that grew and grew.
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady
                        Having said that.. the closer I got to my due date, the more sure I was that I was having a boy (and I did). I don't know why, it was just a feeling that grew and grew.
                        Mother's intuition?
                        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                          TTO and I don't want to know either. I already have some responses for those people who say "So what DO you want?"

I would really like some chocolate
                          I'm hoping for a puppy
                          Oh, TTO wants horns and talons, but I'll just be happy with a healthy growth of scale...
                          I ended up using the I want a Puppy! line with a few family members who kept forgetting that we were not finding out.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                            To give her the benefit of the doubt, I've met people on WIC who haven't the first idea how it works. That being said, the proper way to handle that is "Just checking, you know you won't be able to get the rest of the cereal later, right?"
                            I was behind a woman with WIC at the checkout one day who was having a real problem, and she actually gave WIC classes. The problem was she was shopping in a different county from where she lived, and the allowed brands of items were different, but they got it straightened out.

I did know I was having boys both times because I had amniocentesis. I hate surprises.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Nayeli_Sabia View Post
                              I love surprises, my mom used to tell me were she hid the Christmas gifts so I wouldn't find them by mistake and get upset.

I'm knitting Newbie a baby blanket in blues and white. In my eyes, it is winter colors, since Newbie will be here in December. I find that colors are... colors, lol. Our daughter wore a Camo onsie home from the hospital
                              I'm the same way, I get SO upset if someone accidently lets me know what I'm getting for a gift.

People put way too much emphasis on colours for a newborn - they really don't care, in fact, best is really bold colours, not the pastels everyone uses anyway, they can see them better at first.

My daughter was born back when ultrasounds were only done for problems, so we didn't know in advance. I found an adorable crib on clearence, it was white with Raggedy Ann & Andy (in reds & blues). So we went with that, suitable for boy or girl, and bright. We painted a dresser white with red & blue drawers, and continued with the theme - a bit of Raggedy Ann & Andy, and lots of white with bright blue & red accents.

Madness takes it's toll....
                              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X