This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael's Check-Out

I used to like to go to the Michael's near me, but I no longer really want to go there. Mainly because they've made it so damned hard to get out of the store if you're not purchasing anything.

Here a couple of months ago, they re-configured the check-out area. It used to be open register lanes all parallel to the exit door (with CS right at the entrance/exit). You could just walk out that way if you're not buying.

Now, there's one line, choked down between shelving, then you weave through barriers. Kind of like Disneyland. Then you get called to whichever register is ready. I was in soon after they did this and didn't find what I was looking for. Saw the how the check-out area was (huge line, too) and thought, "Oh, fine, I'll just go out the entrance." This normally bugs me no end, but there wasn't any other way. Well, that didn't work either. Seems the entrance door is only triggered from the outside.

So I wound up having to apologize and explain to, I swear, every person in line that I wasn't trying to cut, I was just trying to get out.

Although one helpful person pointed out where the exit doors were. Yeah, I know that, I'm trying to get there. Thanks.

Any other have Michael's near you that have the check-out area like this?
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Not Michaels that I'm aware of, but then I don't really shop there, not being crafty an' such. However that's how the Ross and Marshall's were, which was a pain in the butt. I honestly several times just ducked through the cart corral and hopped over the bars because it was stationed between the enter and exit doors, rather than face all the people and the maze of checkouts.

Maybe a letter to the manager and corporate might be in order??

Comment

This is the only store I've encountered having a hard time getting out if you're not buying. Every other store, you can at least walk through the registers that aren't being used.

And come to think of it, the way it's set up, just how is someone that has mobility issues supposed to get out? I don't see how they got that past ADA.

I've sent an e-mail to start.

Comment

Ours did that too, except they have the entrance doors set up to trigger both ways thank god. Makes it really hard to find what you're looking for if its in one of the first rows of shelving >_<

Comment

The one by my house is like that. I hate going there. So happy a Jo Ann's opened up not too far away. I go there quite a bit now.
          Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Ours is like that as well. I think it is literally impossible for me to go into a Michael's without purchasing something, so I never noticed, but now that you mention it, I can see it would be rather difficult to try and get out without buying something, especially when it gets busy. You can't go out through the entrance, since it's set up as entrance-only as well.

I just never have that problem, or I have the problem of not having that problem, depending on how you look at it. (My husband would say it's the latter.)
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Wouldn't that be a fire hazard? What if there was a medical emergency? I'm sure the emergency doors are there....somewhere...but that isn't where 99% of the customer mob will be herding in the event of catastrophy. Just sayin'
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

About the only reason I can think of for an arrangement like that would be an ill-convceived anti-shoplifiting measure >_< All they have to do is question anybody trying to bypass the line or slipping out of the front door when somebody else comes in...But still...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I think I'd be inclined to wait by the entrance door, then when an incoming customer triggered the door to open I'd slip out.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                    Wouldn't that be a fire hazard? What if there was a medical emergency? I'm sure the emergency doors are there....somewhere...but that isn't where 99% of the customer mob will be herding in the event of catastrophy. Just sayin'
                    My thoughts exactly. I would leave a little tip to the local fire marshal and let him check it out.
                    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

If you go up to the doors and pry them apart a little, they will continue to open. It is a safety thing so that you can't get trapped.
                      "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

It seems to be their new company-wide set-up. It's also a total PITA if you, say, waited on line, made your purchase, paid, and left the store forgetting one of your bags at the register. . .then run back to the store, weave through all the people squished in line to get back to the register to retrieve your paid-for items. . .not that it's ever happened to me. . .

Comment

One more reason to hate Michaels I guess. I hate it when my wife shops there. In my opinion (no offense to people who work there) it's all overpriced junk I can get cheaper at places like JoAnne's, AC Moore, or even the bloody dollar store for cheaper.
                          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Moogles View Post
                            Ours did that too, except they have the entrance doors set up to trigger both ways thank god.
                            I might call and see if I can't put a bug in the manager's ear....

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            About the only reason I can think of for an arrangement like that would be an ill-convceived anti-shoplifiting measure >_< All they have to do is question anybody trying to bypass the line or slipping out of the front door when somebody else comes in...But still...
                            Really ill-conceived. I can't imaging the general clientele that shops at Michael's is really the crowd that is heavy on having sticky fingers.

Quoth Mystic View Post
                            My thoughts exactly. I would leave a little tip to the local fire marshal and let him check it out.
                            There's an idea.

Quoth Mystic View Post
                            One more reason to hate Michaels I guess. I hate it when my wife shops there. In my opinion (no offense to people who work there) it's all overpriced junk I can get cheaper at places like JoAnne's, AC Moore, or even the bloody dollar store for cheaper.
                            Come to think of it, I've noticed that, too. I've started to go to Hobby Lobby more. Even though it's farther away (Michael's I can walk to in about 5-10 minutes, basically across the street) and there's some of Hobby Lobby's practices I don't like, they generally have better stuff and great sales. All of the Christmas stuff in 50% right now.

Comment

the one back home was like that kinda.

they had extra lines but they were roped off. still the lanes were usually wide enough i could get out. and the entrance opened both ways so if i had to i could leave that way still

Comment

Working...
                              X