This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "No kids" restaurant

My boyfriend and I went to a steakhouse a couple of nights ago and really enjoyed the experience.

The steaks were very good and the service was friendly. Even the owner came over to greet us during the meal and see how we were doing.

But one of the things we really liked about it... The sign outside the restaurant. "No children under 12". The owner's own statement was that she felt adults should be allowed to have 'adult time'

I mean don't get me wrong. I don't hate kids or anything like that. I just like the idea of having an option if I just don't want to be around them. And I'm sure some parents like the option too, especially if they have a night to themselves etc.

i agree completely! (and i have an eight year old daughter) ^.^ yay for steak!

Comment

I think it's a great idea - how often do adults want to go out for a nice quiet meal and have to listen to someone's cranky, shrieking, colicky infant or bratty screaming toddler? Not just those with no kids, but those who are smart enough to leave Junior and Princess with a sitter. And of course, more often than not, the handlers of the offending air-raid-siren children completely tune the kids out so they can enjoy their meals while the snowflakes disturb other diners or run laps around the restaurant or barge into the kitchen.

Not all little kids are screeching banshees and not all parents are that negligent, but the ones that are cannot be counted on to act like civilized human beings, thus the need for kid-banning.

I've heard of a few other restaurants that didn't allow really young children (or anyone under age 18) in and while there was loads of fallout from angry mommies who couldn't use the staff as charity babysitters, those businesses saw an increase in patronage very soon afterward. I really wish more places would do this.

Comment

I think that is a great thing, I know I hate trying to go out to an intimate dinner and there being screaming kids (I'm not talking about a family restaurant, I'm talking about restaurants that don't even offer kid sized meals)
        http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Is this near Monroeville PA? There's a restaurant out here (McDain's) that was in the INTERNATIONAL news for making up the same rule. Some hated it, others enjoyed it (like me, although I've never been there).
          Last edited by emax4; 01-01-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I want to eat here now, so very much

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
              Is this near Monroeville PA? There's a restaurant out here (McDain's) that was in the INTERNATIONAL news for making up the same rule. Some hated it, others enjoyed it (like me, although I've never been there).
              Just wrote this down. I know where I'm eating next time I'm in Pittsburgh area.
              Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I think it's a great idea, as long as it's posted at the entrance, and included in any on-line ads, etc. Just as I think having apartment complexes that are adults only are a good thing.

The only problem is when too many places jump on the bandwagon - I lived in a small town that had to eventually pass an ordinance that any apartment complex with over a certain number of units had to have at least a certain percentage of apartments available for people with children, because it was getting almost impossible to find an apartment that would rent to anyone with children at all.

However, I don't see that happening with restaurants, as there are so many places, both chains and individuals, that focus on being "family" restaurants, I can't see it getting that difficult to find a place to go out with your kids when you want to.

Having a choice is a good thing. Unfortunately, there are always some parents that see it as an insult to even suggest that there is anyplace in the world where it would not be appropriate to take their little angels (I've seen kids in geriatric care waiting rooms, at formal weddings where the invitation stated "no children", at "adult's only" New Year's parties, at R-rated movies - I'm waiting to hear of someone insisting on taking little poopsie to a strip club, LOL

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                  No this one's in Clarksville, TN.

And yes it's posted at the entrance. I don't know about online adverts however since it's relatively new.

Comment

That sounds great. Sure, not all kids act up in restaurants, but enough do that it's nice to have a place where adults can go and not worry about their meal being disturbed that way. I bet the wait staff appreciates it, too, not having kids underfoot.

I suspect this wouldn't even be an issue if more people controlled their kids in restaurants.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That sounds awesome !! If I ate steak, I'd go there immediately. There's nothing wrong with adults wanting to enjoy adult time. I hope other places follow suit.
                      Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

I think it's a wonderful idea to have one place, just one, where adults can go just for themselves.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

The other way I've seen this handled that I like is there used to be an Italian restaurant nearby that had an adults only room, and a room for families with kids. The kids room was much more brightly light, and just kid friendly in general, and even if someone was screaming at the top of their lungs, it barely intruded on the adult room.
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Unfortunately, the thing a lot of parents don't get is there are places that are not appropriate for their kids to be. Some people think they can continue the same lives they had pre-kids when they've got children, or they do the whole, "My kids are people too and the belong everywhere" thing. What will be next, child-friendly strip clubs?

It's not bad if the kids can sit down and STFU, but the ones who drag their kids to softly-lit expensive restaurants at 9:30 at night certainly will not be the kinds to make their children behave. The way I see it, there are plenty of family-oriented restaurants out there for these people to take their ill-behaved litters to grind crackers into the carpet and pee all over the booths. But for the adults who want an adults-only meal, it'd be cool to see a bouncer at the doors keeping the kiddies out.

I was actually proud when I read about the place in Pittsburgh - the first thing I said was, "Oh my god, Pittsburgh did something right for a change!" Anyone who lives in or around that area knows most of the time, da-burgh only makes headlines when someone does something stupid.

And I would also love to see adults-only apartments and housing (for those younger than 55 years old). It pisses me the hell off that almost EVERY place for rent where I live says "no pets" but I never see one saying "no kids." From what I have seen, children can cause far more damage than a pet can, so you would think people would be reluctant to rent to parents with little kids rather than someone with a cat (with the exception of those with allergies to animals). It's mind-boggling.

Comment

I'd love to have an adult only type of restaurant/bar to go to.

Whomever has thought of this is not only ballsy, but my hero as well.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X