X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPO blues (long)

Trying to keep this out of fratching, I think I succeeded
    My little sister is partially disabled and has more medical issues that I can count, but rather than sit on her pension from the state after being permanently injured while working at the state hospital, she decided that she wants to do something with her life, so she started a Non Profit Organization (NPO) that has several goals, but mainly to help kids from impoverished families with extracurricular activities, small scholarship awards, parents can contact the NPO for assistance with birthdays and Christmas, natural girl pageants, etc.
    I’m very proud of my baby sis, and love my nieces and nephews to death for the fact that many times they help out with the delivering of gifts (most recently hundreds of dollars in classroom supplies to nominated teachers) without even a tear for giving away truckloads of toys that they can’t keep.
    Now for the truly SC and EW parts

•Scumbag scammer lying rich folk - They call it “working the system” but thanks to jerks who put false applications into the NPO claiming in need status, Little Sis now has a procedure that weeds them out quickly. First she researches the requesting family (yay for the internets!) and if she finds that things are fishy she will call them and tell them that in order to proceed they will need to sign a waiver that will let them put their name and picture in the human interest section of the paper. 99 times out of 100 they tell her to cancel the request but sometimes they will argue the point, whereupon she will blast them “This is such and such at such address, right? If you need our help so much then why don’t you sell one of the 5 four wheelers that you just bought the family last month? Or cancel the vacation plans to Hawaii that you were blogging about a few days ago? No? We’re here to help people who need it, not so you can save a few dollars, GOODBYE.”. These people are usually worth 6 figures or more and should be shot.

•Only kids say thank you - A sad state of affairs that the adults and older kids usually don’t bother with a simple “Thank you” even though she makes everything happen herself. There’s no team of volunteers, no paid workers, just Little Sis setting up trips to Disney on Ice, group ice skating trips, clothes shopping trips, etc. I’ve had to talk her out of tears more than a few times, remind her that her kids and her big brother are DAMN proud of her work

•People who think that NPO = Free money. Mostly friends, they think that Little Sis can just pull money from the NPO so that they can go on vacation, go to the movies, whatever. Forget the fact that that would equate fraud and put Little Sis in a federal pen.

•Personal attacks – This one puts me into a murderous rage. Little Sis puts in for freebies EVERYWHERE. She’s won so many things from various stores and radio call in promos that it’s not even funny. She almost always uses what she wins for the family. There have been a few people who will friend Little Sis on Facebook, and when she will post “I won this!” they will attack her, calling her a liar and a thief and accuse her of stealing from the NPO to give her kids presents. Most recently was a $150 charm bracelet that she got with a gift cert that she won from a local jeweler. It got so nasty that she had to delete the thread and immediately unfriended the person with a simple message “You’re an ass, that was a present for my 8 year old daughter that I won legitimately. Don’t bother asking for our help again”
    Last edited by Redbeard; 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM.

•Scumbag scammer lying rich folk - You're right. People like that need to be shot. It's that kind of mentality these people have that are dragging America through the mud. Like these CEOs of company who collect money from unemployment and other government agencies setup to help people in need while getting millions in bonuses every year. Makes me rage.

•Only kids say thank you - Sadly, this is a little more understandable. Parents who ask for help usually suffer from severely hurt pride. They don't want to ask, but they need to so their children can have a better life. It's a sad situation for both the parents because they have to ask to begin with, and your sister because of all the hard work she does.

•People who think that NPO = Free money. Rule of thumb: explain it once to them. If they ask again, find new friends.

•Personal attacks – As silly as this may sound, it might be better for all of you if she didn't post things like that. It might be in the best interest for her because of her position in the NPO to not show off things she gets for this very reason or to start using that new feature FB put in that allows you to group people and only send posts to certain groups while keeping the people who use the NPO out of that loop. I'm sure she's proud of her winnings, but I can also see how that would fluster some people who use the NPO and happen to be on her friends list.

Actually, thinking about it now, it might be even better for her to make a FB page or group for her NPO and not add people to her personal FB that she works with through the organization. I only add people to my personal FB that I know while people who want to communicate to me about my band or other work projects do so through the pages I setup for them. It keeps my life less complicated and not have to worry about posting personal stuff that is meant for friends and family.
    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

That's the thing, there is a seperate Facebook page for the NPO, she only friends people that she has built a personal relationship with. But that's a good idea, I'll talk to her about that. This is the second time that she's been attacked on her personal page about the NPO, last time is was from an aquaintance who went all blargety on her for not letting her (the aquaintance) use the NPO like a piggy pank

Comment

Can I just say a word of thanks to your sister? She's doing a wonderful thing, giving of her own time and, I've no doubt to some extent, her own resources (even if only gas, etc). There are many people nowadays who need a bit of help, and unfortunately, a lot of people "fall thru the cracks" on official help, and a few things like what your sis does may be all they can find to help out a little for their kids.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I'll pass that along. What brought her to start it was when the family was homeless due to several unscrupulous mortgage lenders (including one that legally stole $4000 from them that was supposed to hold a property) and struggling to get back on their feet. she saw a lot of families that were able to scrape by, buy the kids needed somethign more than just survival.
          Now if more people could just turn down the EW factor and just appreciate that their kids are getting something they wouldn't ahve and the world would be a bit better

Comment

•People who think that NPO = Free money. Mostly friends, they think that Little Sis can just pull money from the NPO so that they can go on vacation, go to the movies, whatever. Forget the fact that that would equate fraud and put Little Sis in a federal pen.
            This one really floors me. She's doing so much to help people who are truly needy and these asses think she should fork over money so they can go to the movies? Jeez, what the hell is wrong with people?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
              •Scumbag scammer lying rich folk - You're right. People like that need to be shot. It's that kind of mentality these people have that are dragging America through the mud. Like these CEOs of company who collect money from unemployment and other government agencies setup to help people in need while getting millions in bonuses every year. Makes me rage.
              It was awesome hearing the evil glee as she described how they get all "buh..buh..buh...you can't do that!" when she said that they would be in the paper. she could practially hear them thinking "But people would think that we're assholes! Or worse yet, POOR!"

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                This one really floors me. She's doing so much to help people who are truly needy and these asses think she should fork over money so they can go to the movies? Jeez, what the hell is wrong with people?
                Oh yeah...one (now former) friend actually invited HER and the brother in law out for dinner and a movie, then told her "Oh, we're pretty broke now, why don't you take us all out and have the NPO pay for it?"
                The exchange that followed is not fit for polite conversation. Or ours.

Comment

What's really sad is that these EW's ruin it for everyone else. There are people out there who work for a living and barely scrape by. Your sister is a wonderful woman for doing what she's doing. Next time she feels unappreciated, remind her that the people who do genuinely need help don't forget the kindness of others.
                  Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Even though I've never met her, tell her that I appreciate her.

Should the people of Customers Suck consider making some kind of donation?
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

She's good on donations, although the thought is appreciated. I'd hate to be thought to be pimping her NPO through the site, since that's a no no.

Comment

I don't really have anything to say about the SCs, but I have to say that I think your sister is pretty awesome for what she is doing.

Comment

Sis is awesome for what she is doing. Kudos to her

There's always a fly in every ointment, unfortunately
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                            Oh yeah...one (now former) friend actually invited HER and the brother in law out for dinner and a movie, then told her "Oh, we're pretty broke now, why don't you take us all out and have the NPO pay for it?"
                            The exchange that followed is not fit for polite conversation. Or ours.
                            I just don't understand how they ever thought an attempt such as this could be considered right. I just don't.

Rapscallion

Comment

More news!
                              Little Sis has shut down her personal facebook for the moment, is clearning it of any non family or close friends, making it 100% personal.
                              She will make it clear that if anyone wants to friend the NPO facebook page, they're more than welcome, but she is keeping a distance between the NPO and her personal life.
                              Turns out that she just had to unfriend 3 or 4 more people after MORE personal attacks over gifts that she got for the kids, half of which was paid for by ME abnd most of the rest with gifts cards that she won through big chain and local store contests.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              I just don't understand how they ever thought an attempt such as this could be considered right. I just don't.

Rapscallion
                              Yeah, I talked with her more about this, it turns out that outside of her local community she's very well thought of and respected for her work, but within the small local community she's treated like dirt because she abides by the strict rules of the NPO, rules that she put into place to keep abuse from happening and to keep her from going to jail for fraud.
                              Last edited by Dips; 01-10-2012, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X