This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old ID story from my father

These stories about checking ID remind me of an incident my father told me about that happened to him about 1985 or so.

His 1976 Impala was getting a bit long in the tooth, so he figured it was time for a change. Not having the money for a new car, he decided to look for a used one. At the time I had an uncle who was a mechanic, and he had connections to get my father into a dealer's auction, where off-lease and repossessed cars were wholesaled. (Nowadays these are open to the public, but back then you had to be in the trade to get in.)

One of the rules at these auctions was that anything you won had to be paid for in cash on the barrelhead. No checks, no credit cards, no "Just let me run to the ATM", if you bid on a car you were expected to have enough money in your jeans to cover your bid.

He didn't have that much folding green lying around the house, so he decided to get a cash advance against his credit cards. This was when they still had a grace period on cash advances, so if you paid it back in before the bill got mailed you didn't have to pay interest.

So my father went to the bank. He waited on line, and when he got up to the teller, he laid two credit cards on the counter, and said quietly, "I'd like to take a $2000 cash advance on each of these credit cards." (might have been $3000 each, I can't remember)

The teller looks down at the cards, and says in a loud brassy voice, "That's four thousand dollars, Sir. That's a lot of money! Do you have any identification?"

And all over the bank, he told me, he could see heads turning, people wanting to see who was taking out that much money.

He got pissed off. Pulled two items of ID out of his wallet, slapped them on the counter, and said just as loudly, "Yes! I have my driver's license and my firearms permit!"

And suddenly all these nosey-parkers found something else to look at...

I mean seriously. What kind of idiot announces to the whole world and his dog how much money someone's taking out of the bank? Someone could have heard that and mugged him on the way out.

(Oh, almost forgot. He wound up buying a 1981 Cutlass Supreme.)

That teller is a moron. Just because they're behind bullet-proof glass doesn't mean they can broadcast to the world how much money they're handing to some poor slub about to walk out the door. Nice way to get someone mugged.

I had to take out $2,500 from my savings once because I was closing my bank accounts. I was EXTREMELY nervous to be walking out of there with that much cash, but at least I knew the teller personally and she is very soft spoken, so no one could hear what we were talking about. (I still high-tailed it to my car the second I walked out of there.)

Comment

A teller once read out my SSN. While holding the card. I talked to his manager about that.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Love your Dad's response, that's hilarious.

On a serious note though, I'd definitely have complained to the bank manager, that's just setting your customers up to be followed & robbed.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post

Love your Dad's response, that's hilarious.

On a serious note though, I'd definitely have complained to the bank manager, that's just setting your customers up to be followed & robbed.
          that's probably why he mentioned the permit. in case any of the other people there were thinking of trying to take it from him.

although the cashier also reminds me of an atm i went to at walmart where it spoke out loud. i have no idea why it was doing that and i don't remember it ever happening again but... it really bothered me having my financial information broadcast out like that.

Comment

While on a roadtrip my buddies and I stopped at a truck stop at around 2:00 in the morning in Bartstow. One buddy had throught that most of his money is in the bank, so when he opens his wallet gets all excited and practically yells "Hey! I've still got $400 in my wallet!".
            My step father is a truck driver, so knowing the kind of gentelmen you can find on the road, we got him the hell out of there pretty quickly, especially when I saw some of the "fresh meat" looks.

Comment

I've seen people sit down on the bus and pull a roll of bills out of their pocket, and count it. Never noticed if anyone followed them off the bus, but it wouldn't surprise me.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My purse never leaves my side and I'm always either wearing shoes that can do some damage, or have my keys ready to go Wolverine if anyone ever tried anything.

I'm not even comfortable getting $20 back at Wal-Mart or Kwik Trip when I pay debit.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  I've seen people sit down on the bus and pull a roll of bills out of their pocket, and count it. Never noticed if anyone followed them off the bus, but it wouldn't surprise me.
                  This made me think of the scene in "Our Idiot Brother" where the brother hands a random guy on the train a huge wad of cash to hold while he adjusts the rest of his stuff. So naive!

Comment

Boss won an on-line auction for a used van. Van was from out of state. Boss took $9000 cash with him to pick it up and drive it right home (should it be satisfactory)

Boss came back raving about moronic TSA employees questioning him loudly at the airport as to why he had so much cash in his posession.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                      That teller is a moron. Just because they're behind bullet-proof glass doesn't mean they can broadcast to the world how much money they're handing to some poor slub about to walk out the door. Nice way to get someone mugged.
                      Back then there probably wasn't any bullet proof glass, so the teller's voice could have carried easily through the entire bank.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

This sort of makes me think of late last semester when I was finally awarded financial aid. I ended up receiving a fairly large check back from the school and I needed the cash right away to pay some bills so I found a branch of the bank the school uses and went to cash it. The amount was probably close to $4,000 and I was so worried about having that amount of money on me. The teller was pretty friendly and didn't make a big to do about it, plus I had called before hand just to see if I could cash it and to let them know it was going to be a large amount. I was slightly paranoid when I was leaving though.

Comment

I hate carrying cash. The most I ever have on me is 10 bucks, and that's for the vending machines at work. In the rare instance I do need cash, such as getting a tattoo and the artist only takes cash, I get the cash from the ATM and go right to whom I'm giving the cash to. I'm appalled when a customer pulls out a huge wad of cash to pay for something. You don't know who's looking at you. Fuck that.
                          Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

At one point I bought a second-hand PowerBook. I wanted to see it first before committing the cash, and since it was in Manchester (which has some pretty rough areas scattered around randomly), I went to see it without having the cash on me.

Having misjudged the distance from the railway station to the seller's address, I ended up walking for about half an hour through one of the rough areas. I didn't have any trouble, but it was definitely a good idea to leave behind the cash for that part of the trip. What I *did* quite visibly have was my computer bag, to protect my purchase on the journey home - although as it was a backpack type, it wasn't so obvious as the briefcase type would have been.

The seller actually lived in one of the areas that had recently been gentrified/redeveloped/rebuilt, so in quite a nice flat. So, after checking the machine was as described and in good condition, I took a taxi back into the city centre to withdraw the cash I needed to buy the machine - that being where the open bank branches were. The same taxi also took me back.

On my way back through the railway station I was forcibly reminded of why travelling to Manchester on a Saturday afternoon is a bad idea in general. It was football day, and the place was utterly packed and under heavy Police supervision. Fortunately at that point I was going in the opposite direction to the madding crowd...

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                              "Yes! I have my driver's license and my firearms permit!" [/SIZE]

And suddenly all these nosey-parkers found something else to look at...
                              Haha! Love it, love it, love it.
                              I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X