This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They don't make the laws

So, I was on Facebook, and there is currently a contest running for a certain Canadian retailer.

As with most contests that I have seen running in Canada, including those run by the retailer I work for, there is almost always a disclaimer saying, "Contest not available in Quebec," or "Offer void in Quebec."

Now, I have seen that often enough by now to know that there must be some valid reason for it, and having a brain with the powers of deductive reasoning, I long ago concluded that it must have something to do with the laws specific to that province and nothing at all to do with exclusion and discrimination against the people of that province.

Honestly, you should see some of the comments being posted that are claiming that very thing!

People have posted saying, "Not available in Quebec? What a crock!" or "Well, if (name of retailer) isn't allowing people from Quebec to participate, then maybe we should just start shopping elsewhere."

People have replied to some of them saying. "It has nothing to do with (retailer). It's because of the laws in your province."

I googled it, and, yes, the laws in that province regarding sweepstakes and lotteries are very strict, and it can be quite costly for retailers to comply with their rules, so most just opt to exclude that province with that "Void in Quebec" disclaimer.
    In order for sponsors to skip the "void in Quebec" restriction, Quebec sweepstakes law requires that the sponsors must do some or all of the following things:

Register the sweepstakes rules and all advertisements used to promote the contest with the Quebec government at least 30 days ahead of the sweepstake's launch.
    Pay a fee of up to 10% of the sweepstake's value, depending on who is allowed to enter.
    Agree to allow the government of Quebec to mediate any lawsuits arising from the contest.
    Follow strict guidelines about the contents of the sweepstakes rules.
    Allow the Quebec government to determine if the sweepstake may be changed or canceled once it has started.
    File a written report after the contest has concluded, attesting that the prizes have been delivered or attempted to be delivered.
    Agree to follow a number of other rules and guidelines.
    Even after numerous people have pointed this fact out, there are still people posting the very same comments and complaints about being excluded.
    One woman posted 3 times after it had been pointed out.
    Quoth Woman#1
    What do you guys have against people that live in Quebec??? I want to enter so plese tell me why I can not!!!!
    There were several replies to her, including one from the retailer, explaining that it was nothing against the people of Quebec, but it was because of provincial laws.
    Then another woman decided to speak up.
    Quoth Woman#2
    If those contest are not for Quebec people maybe we should start thinking to buy somewhere else ?
    She was also informed by others and by the retailer as to the reason why that province was excluded.
    Quoth Woman#2
    This is not point : we buy from you so we expect to have the same promotions and chances than other peoples
    Once again, she was informed by numerous people, and once again the retailer explained their position.
    Quoth Retailer
    Unfortunately, we were unable to launch the promotion in Quebec due to various limitations. However, the coupon will still be valid for our QC stores. We hope you take advantage of it!
    Quoth Woman#2
    So Unfortunately I will mention this to a lot of paople ans Unfortunately we will stop buing as long as we will not have the same chances than people from other provinces
    They either aren't reading the comments and just blindly posting their complaints, or they are just sucky and think the retailer is suddenly going to change their mind and allow them to participate.
    I don't know.

It just irked me when I saw it.

I took a peek back through their page and they have gone through the same thing every day since the contest was announced and started! (It's a new daily prize for 12 days.) Seriously. For the past 3 days, people have been given the same information and they are still bitching!
    Sucky customers really can't read, can they?

(Just a reminder that I am not posting to discuss the sweepstakes rules from that province. This is about sucky customers who don't read or pay attention.)
    Last edited by Ree; 01-15-2012, 02:57 PM.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Sadly they have been trained that if they bitch loudly enough they will get what they want.

Comment

And they're still at it.

Another woman just posted complaining about the exclusion and questioning why she got the email, then.

Umm...I'm sure they don't have time to go through the list and weed out the people from that province or streamline a specific email for that province.
      The contest promotion went out in an email with a coupon attached, and they have clearly stated each time that the coupon is still valid for that province.
      They probably just went ahead with the one generic email for everyone registered to receive their promotions.

The retailer posted to say they had removed some comments and asked for people to respect each other, so obviously there were some pretty heated comments on both sides that got removed.

I am not the only one getting frustrated. I have had some comments directed to me thanking me for supplying the information and agreeing with me that people need to go back and read the comments before flying off the handle.

Comment

I've found this to be a dishearteningly common problem across the Internet (I'm not blaming the Internet for it; I'm sure these people are no different in 'realspace'): people post their ignorance for all the world to see because they can't be bothered to check the facts before posting, or, once someone else has checked the facts and has posted them, they can't be bothered to read what's been posted and just keep yammering along the same lines like a broken record.

Of course, I've also run across a few who firmly believe "the facts" are part of a global conspiracy, but they're in a category by themselves.

P.S. I've often wondered why many of those contests are invalid in Quebec; thanks for posting the info!

Comment

well gee living in Wisconsin I'm almost in Canada, I bet I'm excluded too! consarn it!
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Once again I am ashamed of my province of origin. This sort of entitled BS is just one of the many reasons.
            Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

To be honest, I think you would see the same kind of thing from people in any province that might be excluded.

I just found it annoying. It was as if this was the first time any of them had noticed their province was exempt from a contest, and even after it was explained to them, they still bitched at the wrong people for it.

Comment

I love the one who says "that's not the point." Um, yes, actually IT IS the point. And besides that, it's a CONTEST. There's no guarantee that any of those posting bitchy comments would win anyway.

Of course, they're probably the type of people who complain that they should have won, when they do enter a contest.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It isn't limited to Canada, either. Here in the states we have one or two states with different laws on contests, sweepstakes and even coupons than other states. So often they're excluded in the fine print. People just can't figure out that national info is going to be geared for the majority, and if they live in an area with other-than-common prohibitions, they're going to have to deal with being left out. Accept it, work on changing the laws, or move .

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Seems just like people who refuse to read. So freaking lazy. As Merriweather pointed out, some states in the US are like that too. Not sure how that works out but it's odd to me that these people think to themselves, "Not available in Quebec? Hm, must be because they don't like us!"
                    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Oh dear lord!!!
                      Now they're all bitching about the mathematical skill testing question winners have to answer to qualify.

Again, this is a rule for any sweepstakes held in Canada.

Canadians Use a Different Method to Avoid Illegal Lotteries

Canadian sweepstakes law, unlike American law, requires that the third component, "winners are chosen by luck," is removed. Sponsors cannot use pure luck to determine who wins a sweepstake. There must be at least some element of skill involved.

In order remove the element of pure chance, sponsors narrow the field of potential winners by requiring a skill testing question to enter their contests. Every entrant does not have the same chance to win; only those who at least pass the skill testing question are eligible to win prizes. Of course, this is only a technicality. Most people can pass the skill testing questions without difficulty, although sponsors are required to make the test somewhat challenging.
                      Oh, and yet another Quebec resident brought up their exclusion from the contest.
                      *sigh*

Comment

Yeah, we usually give our customers the answer.

It bugs me that their anger is being directed at the wrong source.

Comment

Some people's children. I guess it's easier to complain than it is to actually try and change what you don't like. What maroons.
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                            It isn't limited to Canada, either. Here in the states we have one or two states with different laws on contests, sweepstakes and even coupons than other states. So often they're excluded in the fine print. People just can't figure out that national info is going to be geared for the majority, and if they live in an area with other-than-common prohibitions, they're going to have to deal with being left out. Accept it, work on changing the laws, or move .

Except for Utah. Everyone ther figures that they're exluded from anything fun

Comment

This post is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Jay 2K Winger specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect of any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this post or board or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may be substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X