This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shitty property management

I'd regale you all with my tale of woe with my property manager, but I think it will be quicker to just copy the email that I just sent to the company.
    Yeah, I'm at the point where I'm hoping I have to transfer to SUU for my masters degree simply because it is the only school in the state (that doesn't suck) that isn't within commuting distance of where I am now and would give me an excuse to move.

For the second time this week I had to park on the street because someone was in my assigned space (about the only thing I'm getting out of my dues since the maintenance crew is so lazy and is slow to clear snow, doesn't paint over graffiti, and takes over a year of requesting just to get a tree trimmed... hell, even safety issues take forever to get taken care of) and being told that your company can't do a damned thing about it. To be blunt, that is bullshit. Every other place I have lived has had procedures in place to handle exactly that situation, the fact that you don't speaks volumes to your sheer incompetence.
    What does it take to get you lazy bums to actually do your jobs?
    In 5 years I've once received a copy of the financial statements, and they were so poorly prepared that even my community college professors at the time said they'd fail a freshman for turning in that work. The budget is completely unrealistic (seriously, budgeting on 100% occupancy with all the for sale signs in the complex... my 11 year old niece can see how stupid that is). When I first moved in, it took over a month to fix a broken sprinkler... and that was when I gave up and fixed it myself. It took over a year of multiple residents complaining just to get the trees trimmed so we didn't have to duck under them. Several times now there has been graffiti on the fences long enough that residents have given up and painted them ourselves. It's before taken months to get rotted balcony railing replaced (and by rotted, I mean less than 25% of the thickness was still there at some parts). Hell, even Comcast with our group account has admitted that we are low priority because they know you will never actually take the effect to complain and try to get them to be quicker or more efficient. Oh, and as an added bonus, a community pipe broke in my unit and was starting to slowly flood it and it took over two days to get a plumber out... I fear what would have happened had it been a bigger leak than it was. Oh, and my wall still hasn't been fixed from that one, all I keep getting is "we'll get back to you." And for all this amazing service, we are expected to pay nearly $2500 a year ($160 a month, plus a $500 special assessment each year, which when it happens every year stops feeling like a special assessment and starts feeling like a sneaky attempt at yet another raise in dues). Hell, I don't even know who our property manager is, they keep changing so frequently.
    At this point, I honestly don't expect to see anything come from this, nothing has ever happened during the last 5 years, so I don't see any reason to believe anything will change in the next several years. But, in case this is read by the one competent employee there (assuming there even one is), my information is as follows
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

sounds like it's time to get all tenants together to chip in for a lawyer.....

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

There's this thing called 'renter's rights', and if I recall right, I don't think there's a state WITHOUT some form of law about that. Most of that pose some severe safety issues(Especially the railing, and the broken pipe carries the added 'bonus' of mold, possibly TOXIC mold, coming from the moisture). Given how long it takes to do stuff, I'd look into more than just a lawyer, but whatever local government entity is in charge of housing. That's all beyond ridiculous.
      Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

There's two problems with "renters rights" first, Utah's are some of the weakest in the country and even then are poorly enforced.
        Second, it's a condo HOA, so renter's rights don't apply to us, we are under the HOA regulations, which are even more lacking than the renters rights laws

eta- just googled them for reviews... and this is great... every single positive review I found on one site was a copy and paste from the testimonials section of their website.

double eta- another thing I got from google... apparently the only way to cancel a contract with this company is a massive termination fee that they keep in all their contracts
        Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 01-17-2012, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Can you prove breach of contract on their part? Do they give any guarantees of speed or quality of service that you can prove have not been met?

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            eta- just googled them for reviews... and this is great... every single positive review I found on one site was a copy and paste from the testimonials section of their website.
            You can report those of course, as falsified. Google will bring down the e-justice on them for it, and most likely knock their website's pagerank for it too, if they discover it was them who did it.

I mean, its obvious it is, but they have to find evidence of it, from what I was told. But then again, Google's known to just do it anyways. :P
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Sounds like it's time for a community meeting to review the HOA and make the suggestion of disbanding.

I mean HOA has some leverage... but if they're not even upholding their own charter you can take them to legal task over it

Comment

Oh, updates.
                I finally heard back from the property manager.
                The reason they haven't gotten back to me about the hole in my wall is because they are still seeking bids.
                I'll let that sink in, they are seeking bids to fix a one foot by one foot hole in the wall
                yeah, I call bullshit.

Oh, and the parking... apparently they do have a procedure in place, but I think I preferred thinking they were lazy and hadn't developed one rather than being as stupid as they are.
                Their proceedure is for me to call them the next day if the car is still there and schedule for the property manager to come out and see the car herself, she will then leave a tag on the car informing them they have 72 hours to move before the car is towed, and then, if after the better part of a week of me not having use of my space, they will schedule a tow truck.
                As I pointed out to her, that plan is stupid beyond belief, the problem isn't people abandoning cars in the space, it is my neighbors telling their guests to park there, and they normally move on their own within a day or two anyway, well before she'd get around to removing them. So basically, her plan is, fuck you, you don't even deserve the simple break of not having to sweep snow and ice off your car.

Comment

have you been to www.apartmentratings.com yet?

it doesn't hurt to post a review there and point out all the issues they have.

Comment

So - do you get a prorated amount off each month for each day that you are not able to use your *assigned* parking? I would ask - but I'm bitchy that way.

Comment

Anyone wanna help pitch in to send Argabarga (sp?) over to those apartments?
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

If the parking issue is something that happens regularly, I would be tempted to get something like this, an 8.5" x 11" label. Print up a statement about how this is a reserved parking spot on it. When you find someone in your space, place one on the front wind shield directly in front of the steering wheel, and one in the middle of the drive side window.

The down side to doing something like that is that you don't know if the car belongs to a psychotic nut with a hand gun.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                          If the parking issue is something that happens regularly, I would be tempted to get something like this, an 8.5" x 11" label. Print up a statement about how this is a reserved parking spot on it. When you find someone in your space, place one on the front wind shield directly in front of the steering wheel, and one in the middle of the drive side window.

The down side to doing something like that is that you don't know if the car belongs to a psychotic nut with a hand gun.
                          I'd do something like that myself (and in fact have with builders blocking our drive) but I would suggest paper/card and laminate it if you think you will get it back again. I'd be reticent to use a sticky label just because that is more likely to kick something off if they have difficulty getting it off the windscreen.

I'd even consider putting one on the post ( if there is one) at the front of the space that says "reserved for flat __, please don't park here." just to reinforce it before they park.
                          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

And seriously... i suggest getting the community together to take the HOA to task.

Start documenting where the HOA is violating their agreement.

also consider checking out this link:
                            https://secure.utah.gov/hoa/index.html

you may want to contact them in regards to the HOA refusing to uphold the bylaws. it might light a fire under their buttocks perhaps?
                            Last edited by PepperElf; 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Probably the biggest problem, if I recall correctly from previous threads (please correct me if I am wrong), is that Smiley is a tenant, and not an owner. Many HOAs don't give a crap about people if they aren't one of the property owners.

Check out the HOA laws in Utah:
                              http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/section.jsp?code=57-8a

Not much in there for tenant protections... And if the actual owner doesn't care to raise hell with the HOA, lazy management wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X