This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I don't even work here!

So, just moved in with my aunt, been here two months, had fun so far, got a boyfriend .

And then the suck rolls back in.

I walked down to Walmart with my cousin C and cousin J around Christmas time. We're looking around when a lady(SC) comes up to us and goes.

SC: Ugh! I hope your manager doesn't see you three loitering around! Get back to work you lazy teenagers!

Now, J is a year shy of being able to get a job, C and I on the other hand are in that age.

J&I: But we don't work here.
    SC: *Snort* Yeah right! I'm going to go find a manager right now.
    C: We should probably get out of here before that psycho woman comes back with the manager.
    Me: Agreed.

We then all bolted for the door, where we saw SC talking to the manager, before glaring and pointing at us as we left.

Three teenagers, dressed in everyday clothes, and we get confused for walmart employees? Wooow.

When I was a teenager, out with my cuz's I would hope I'd a walked up to the manager:

"Snit for brains says we work here. When do we get paid?"
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I always get my worst "You work here" experiences at Walmart. I don't know what it is about that place that makes customers think that young = employee.

I wouldn't have left, but that's cuz I would have been too curious at the outcome.

And I'm a bitch haha

Hope your cousins weren't too freaked out, especially the younger one.

Comment

The three of you should have waited for the manager to come over, then ask him if he wanted to hire you to work there. Preferably in front of the SC that complained.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I have been asked if I worked at store where the employees wear ties, vests, white dress shirts and khakis. I was wearing a t shirt, shorts an sandals.

Comment

I was once shopping at Old Navy whilst talking on my cell phone and an older gentleman asked me if I worked there. I told him no and that was the end of it. Not sure what I would have done if he'd argued with me.
            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
              I always get my worst "You work here" experiences at Walmart. I don't know what it is about that place that makes customers think that young = employee.
              You don't even necessarily have to be young. I got this when I was over 30, dealing with just insane fatigue after a serious illness so I was leaned over the controls of one of the motorized carts having a catnap, while my teen was rummaging through the $5 movie bin. Got mowed down by some couple who decided I worked there, wouldn't take no for an answer, and badgered me about some weird auto item I've never seen before or since, until my husband came over and ran them off. I still wonder where these people normally shop, that they decided it was completely normal to see employees sleeping in the carts meant for disabled customers.

Comment

I was asked last summer if I worked at Wal-Mart, while I was wearing full cycling gear. Spandex shorts, bright coloured jersey, silly clicky shoes AND HELMET.

(I went in for snacks and a spare bike tube since I realized partway through my ride that I needed one. It's always best to go get things like that as soon as you think of them because otherwise you're guaranteed to run over some glass or something within the next mile... However, my choice of venue was unwise).

Honestly, I think some customers just ask every semi-competent looking human being within visual range for help.

Comment

C: We should probably get out of here before that psycho woman comes back with the manager.
                  What's the manager going to do. Fire you for not being employees?

Comment

I get that sometimes when I go to Wally World after I get out of the gym -- black shorts, any color t-shirt, a pair of running sneakers, and either a pair of black or white socks. Yea, I totally work for that store.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
                      Because Walmart hires anyone, dontcha know?

I'm probably jixing myself by saying I have yet to be mistaken for a Walmart employee, but I've gotten it at Target, since they wear red shirts, and anyone wearing a red shirt is automatically assumed to be an employee.
                      Random conversation:
                      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Maria View Post
                        You don't even necessarily have to be young. I got this when I was over 30, dealing with just insane fatigue after a serious illness so I was leaned over the controls of one of the motorized carts having a catnap, while my teen was rummaging through the $5 movie bin. Got mowed down by some couple who decided I worked there, wouldn't take no for an answer, and badgered me about some weird auto item I've never seen before or since, until my husband came over and ran them off. I still wonder where these people normally shop, that they decided it was completely normal to see employees sleeping in the carts meant for disabled customers.

Maybe young looking? lol I'm 26 and the last encounter was in the middle of December. I look much younger than I am.

I understand what you mean about age though. Sucks hardcore that they bothered you like that. Syndrome of 'oh, they're not moving, let's give them something to do'. *sigh*

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post

I'm probably jixing myself by saying I have yet to be mistaken for a Walmart employee, but I've gotten it at Target, since they wear red shirts, and anyone wearing a red shirt is automatically assumed to be an employee.

lol, definite jinx! That's like not wearing a winter coat during winter on your break while in another store. It means you work there, haha.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
                          Maybe young looking? lol I'm 26 and the last encounter was in the middle of December. I look much younger than I am.
                          Nah. I've been "working" in about 5-6 different places this year and I am nearly 30 and look 35 or so.
                          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Even dark orange shirts. Granted I was also wearing khaki pants too because I'd just come from work...

The lady was polite to me though - even before she found out I didn't work there. I think she was a bit embarrassed though.

I also got mistaken as an employee at borders during their final sales when I left my current job wearing most of my uniform, except for a couple of key items that identified me. They were also polite but... I think they were a bit annoyed too. *sorry. can't help you*

these days I just toss my flight jacket on. i only get stopped wearing that by people who recognize that the patch on the right chest area is a Navy ship crest. and they're either confused as to why a Navy jacket would be dark olive green... or they're former navy and want to talk "shop"

Exactly ike that, only I have a permanent patch (ship crest oval) where the black silhouette is, the american flag patch and nothing else on it.
                            Last edited by PepperElf; 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

*snip*
                              Well, dang, they haven't hired me yet ... I don't know whether to be pleased or appalled, LOL.

I can understand why you felt like you should leave but I would've hung around to see the results. What do you want to bet she'd have been even more incensed and gone over his head to corporate because the manager was "lying" about who his employees were?

Hey, snit for brains, here's your sign!

Comment

Working...
                              X