This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting the messenger at the pharmacy

Overheard at CVS Pharmacy. Note that I entered the pharmacy area in mid-conversation and I don't know when this it started, but it was loud enough that I couldn't help overhearing from behind her in line and, after another technician helped me out, even the waiting area farther away from the conversation. I'm not one to eavesdrop on any pharmacy counter conversations, but she was so livid I could hear her from where I was sitting:

SC: "...so why wasn't I warned when I got these pills?"
    Pharmacist: "Because we weren't aware that they were defective at that time."
    SC: "But you should have known!"
    Pharmacist: "The recall was not released until a few days ago. We had no way to know that they were recalled."
    SC: "You should have tested them first then!"
    Pharmacist: "We cannot test them. We don't have the equipment and they are already packaged when we receive them."
    SC: "Do you realize what is at stake here? I could be pregnant right now!"
    Pharmacist: "I understand and sympathize with you, miss, and I do strongly recommend you get a pregnancy test to ensure you are not pregnant. However, this problem is not our responsibility, but the responsibility of the manufacturer of your pills."
    SC: "I cannot believe you would give me defective pills! Why did you give them to me?"
    Pharmacist: "As I said before, we had no way of knowing they were defective. We do not do testing on pills we receive because quality assurance is the responsibility of the manufacturer."
    SC: "So what do I do?!"
    Pharmacist: "I recommend you cease using the pills immediately, use the replacements, and--"
    SC: "How do you know that THESE pills are not defective?!"
    Pharmacist: "...to be honest, I cannot say. I can only say that these replacements are not subject to the recall."
    SC: "So what do I do?! Just hope I'm not pregnant and these new pills work?!"
    Pharmacist: "I recommend you use the replacements, and in a week or so use a pregnancy test."
    SC: "But how can I be sure the replacements aren't defective?!"
    Pharmacist: "Miss, I've told you everything I could. The defects in the recalled prescriptions are most likely an isolated incident that affected one line of products in a specific timeframe at a specific plant. These pills do not fit that timeframe, and so it is very unlikely the same mistake occurred on these pills."
    SC: "I still don't understand how you could be so negligent to give me these recalled pills!"
    Pharmacist: "Once again, we had NO WAY of knowing these pills were defective. They were not recalled at the time we gave them to you, and as soon as we learned of the recall, we called and informed you of the recall."
    SC: "But you shouldn't have given me the pills in the first place!"

...and 'round and 'round we go, when will this cyclical conversation end, no-one knows! I was served my prescription and left, with the customer still harping the pharmacist over something she had absolutely no control over! I felt so bad for the pharmacist because there didn't seem to be anything she could do to defuse the argument and get the SC to go away.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

"If you don't think you can trust the manufacturer any more, I suggest you visit your physician and have him prescribe something made by a different company."

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      "If you don't think you can trust the manufacturer any more, I suggest you visit your physician and have him prescribe something made by a different company."
      That....and go complain to the manufacturer since they ARE responsible for quality control.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

SC: "Do you realize what is at stake here? I could be pregnant right now!"
        "I sincerely hope, for the sake of humanity, that you aren't. Trust me, if I had any control over this, I would make sure that you weren't pregnant."

Comment

This is what happens when employees are required to be ass-kissingly nice at all times.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I wouldn't have given her replacement pills. I would have given her a needle and thread.
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
              I wouldn't have given her replacement pills. I would have given her a needle and thread.
              You owe me a new keyboard!!!!!! * SPUTTER *
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                The physician can only do that if he prescribes a product that is not in generic form yet.

Your typical BC pills are made by several different companies and which one you get depends on which wholesaler gives the best deal to the pharmacy from one month to the next.

I'd have recommended a hysterectomy. And offered to perform one on the spot. Hopefully she hasn't bred yet.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  I'd have recommended a hysterectomy. And offered to perform one on the spot. Hopefully she hasn't bred yet.
                  Transplant unit? I have one (or two) of *everything* in perfect condition.

Except the brain. It seems to have rotted in situ.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                    Sample pack of diapers.
                    Trial sized powered and liquid formula
                    And a large pacifier to shove in her mouth for the next nine months.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                      This is what happens when employees are required to be ass-kissingly nice at all times.
                      This This This!!

And also: Completely disregard the OTHER customers subjected to this rant and likely inconvenienced by the wait and general atmosphere. As long as the SC is catered to and ass-kissed, the good customers can suffer.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Wow, typical broken record. "You shouldnt have given them to me!" skkkritch...."You shouldn't have given them to me!" skkkritch...
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

First World Problems.

She's damn lucky to be somewhere where she can GET birth control! And where it is usually extremely reliable.

Some people....
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

If she's that worried she can combine them with condoms.

although considering her inability to comprehend... i hope she's not pregnant too.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                              SC: "So what do I do?! Just hope I'm not pregnant and these new pills work?!"
                              I would suggest she keep her legs shut.

But that's just me.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X