This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sucky library customer

As a bit of background info, the library system I work in issues library cards in two parts - one that fits on a keychain, and the other being the "traditional" (as I call it) size. I misplaced the latter while I was at work the other day, but didn't think much of it as I could have left it at home and falsely remembered that I had it with me.

Anyhow, apparently I DID have it at work and must have dropped it somewhere in the public area of the library...........one of our customers found it, and instead of taking it the customer service desk, decided it was approriate to go ahead and check out items using someone else's library card. (I found out because I was looking up my record here at home earlier, and three items were on my account which I had NOT checked out).

So.......I have to get this straightened out at work tomorrow, and am hoping I won't be held responsible for the items which the other person checked out. And in the meantime, I have to wonder what was going through that library customer's head that he/she thought it was okay to use a stranger's card.

The thought that now s/he isn't responsible for returning anything because it's all on you.

Comment

my bet is they checked out books they love with the intention of keeping them and since the card is in your name they thought you'd be responsible for the replacement/fee

Comment

Library Thieves

Just borrowed a dvd from my local library. It's a recent release (maybe two months ago). I checked the website to see how many copies the library system had - 72. Then I checked to see how many were "missing" (read stolen). Almost half of the copies had already been stolen. No wonder I can never find anything in the system.

Comment

Fortunately, the other person only checked out three items, and I'm hoping I caught it early enough that I won't be held resonsible for any damages/late returns they have. (Not sure how it works though, because the items on my current card number would have to be transferred)

Comment

*An update of sorts......*

The good news is that I got the old card canceled/was issued a new one, so I can still use my account and the other person cannot. The bad news is that as per library policy, I can't get the other person's items removed from my account unless either he/she returns them, or I file a police report and bring a copy in. (it's considered stolen since the other person used the card)

Comment

What a hassle, but I can see why that would be the case.

They don't want to have to deal with people loaning their card to friends, then claiming stolen when said friends don't bring things back. So they require a filing of theft to force the issue. Banks do this with contested ATM withdrawals; you have to agree to press charges/testify if they catch the individual involved so that you can't make the bank pay just because some family member borrowed your card and took out more money than you expected.

Hopefully the person who used the card will return the items and just did it so they wouldn't have to get a card of their own.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There was a similar thread on another board about a guy working in a convenience store. He lost his wallet and the guy who found it tried to use his own credit card at the store he works at.

The "thief" presented the credit card to the guy who owned it! Swore it was his card. I don't remember what happened, only that it was so funny.

Comment

I believe that was on notalwaysright.com.

Comment

Just when I start thinking that people can't get any lower, I read something like this. Holy cow! Stealing from public libraries is just wrong. Using someone's lost library card to do said stealing is even worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X