This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic ice cream, anyone?

So, this is the reason I asked in Off-Topic what the procedure was with the soft-serve cones at the fast-food place with the King. That, and what happened was just...unbelievable, I know that I couldn't believe that what I saw had happened, but it did.

I think that this goes here - if not, mods feel free to move it.

I was done with work, and stopped for lunch. I noticed that they had some work going on - the menu board was removed, and was on the floor next to the counter. Signs were up saying that they were closing later that afternoon to put up new 'interactive' menu signs.

I placed my order and was waiting at the counter, watching the employees. I watched as one of them was preparing a soft-serve cone for the drive-through. She pulled out the cone from its dispenser, and looked inside of it.

She then tipped it over on the soft serve machine drain, and something came out of the cone. Definitely metallic - it made a soft *clang* when it hit the metal drain grid. It looked like maybe it was a screw.

OK, I thought, she's going to trash the cone now, right?

If she did, I wouldn't be making this post, or checking to see if this was odd. She then proceeded to tip the cone right-side up, fill it with soft serve, and hand it to the drive-through.

I admit I didn't say anything, and knowing what I know now, I should have, I just was so shocked and surprised over it. I definitely checked my food over thoroughly before eating. After, all I could think of was eww...not just that there was a piece of metal in a cone, and I'm glad that the main piece came out, but what if shavings were still in the bottom of that cone that didn't?

I would call the health department, that's just wrong and gross and disgusting.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Comment

At a minimum, you should call the store an speak with a manager. Someone needs to be retrained on food handling.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Strangely, the part that gets to me is 'She pulled out the cone from its dispenser, and looked inside of it.' This line right here says to me that they are USED to things being inside the cones that don't belong there. So used to it, that it is AUTOMATIC to look inside the cone when you pull it off. THAT is scary!

Comment

Good grief. And I understand the feeling about not saying anything, you're so shocked and dumbfounded you just don't know what to do.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Ewwww....I got broken glass in a cup of ice water once; at a fancy restaurant though. They tried telling me it was ice (ICE DOESN'T SINK!) Didn't eat my meal, didn't get any $ taken off, and never went back!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
              Strangely, the part that gets to me is 'She pulled out the cone from its dispenser, and looked inside of it.' This line right here says to me that they are USED to things being inside the cones that don't belong there. So used to it, that it is AUTOMATIC to look inside the cone when you pull it off. THAT is scary!
              My guess is she felt (or maybe even heard) the piece of metal fall in the cone and looked because of that, rather than it being something that she was used to doing.

Comment

And, did she handle money, then not wash her hands, then handle the cone? Just as bad.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  At a minimum, you should call the store an speak with a manager. Someone needs to be retrained on food handling.
                  After I got back to college, I did send an e-mail to corporate. I did explain the situation, saying I didn't want compensation as I probably won't go back, but I wanted to let someone know what happened.

All I got was the standard "Your issue will be looked into" reply. I haven't received anything more as of yet.

Even then, I was hesitant of sending the e-mail, about maybe she'd lose her job over it - I don't want to be responsible for that, you know? Hopefully, all that happened was retraining, as I've been to this location before with no problems.

Comment

It's gross and dangerous...and kind of ironic that the worker should get in trouble for NOT "screwing" a customer.
                    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                      It's gross and dangerous...and kind of ironic that the worker should get in trouble for NOT "screwing" a customer.
                      Was this intentional?
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        Was this intentional?
                        Um....er.... SUUUUUREE... Cuz I'm clever like that.
                        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                        X