This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faculty Parking: not a waiting area

Parking at my community college is at a premium in the best of times. During most of the day it can be very difficult to find parking, especially close to the buildings.

I usually park in a faculty lot right next to the building I teach in. There's a fire lane by the curb to allow cars to pull in/out of spaces. However, a lot of students who get picked up or dropped off tend to idle in the fire lane while waiting for classes to let out.

Well, this sucky lady (SL) today decides the fire lane is too crowded. So she pulls into an empty faculty parking spot to wait.

I pull into the lot after lunch and find parking very tight, as usual. Then I notice SL's car and that she has no faculty parking hangtag from her rearview.

I roll down my window.

Me: Excuse me!

SL either doesn't hear me or is ignoring me (her window is down, warm day).

Me: Excuse me! *honks*

She turns to look in my direction. Cue cattbutt face.

Me: Are you faculty or staff? (I know she's not)
    SL: No.
    Me: Ma'am I need to ask you to move your car. This is a faculty lot.
    SL: *cue death stare*
    Me: Ma'am, I'm on the faculty, and I need to park.
    SL: Give me just a minute.

*I see a kid walking towards her car, I wait, kid gets in, SL pulls out. I get another death stare as she pulls away*
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

It's similar in the parking area outside work here - I got my first genuine CBF the other day when I asked someone to pull out of the way of the cars that were trying to turn in the marked "No Parking" area she was idling in, and into the marked "waiting zone" spaces that were being ignored...
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Why .. they are spechul and shouldn't have to walk..or go far..or .. yeah..not even I am buying that. Some people just think they are special snowflakes that such things as 'rules' do not apply to them.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

yeah i like how she tried to ignore you at first, cos she knew she wasn't suppose to be there.

i wonder what the fine / punishment would be if she got caught by the security peeps. back when i first went to the local community college it was just $5 (well for the first ticket, i never got a second so i don't know if it went up) but... now the college has police officers vs hired security. so... i'm assuming a parking ticket is a bigger offense if issued by the local police.

so the parking lady ... is lucky she only got asked to move. if she'd been ticketed, ... heh. could have been a lot worse for her.

although perhaps a bigger issue is that the school is letting people use the fire lane for parking, since so many people are idling there. that's a recipe for disaster if there's ever a fire

Comment

I think, if I could possibly spare the time, that's when I'd have pulled up behind her, & called security to come ticket her, making sure I had her nice & blocked.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
            I think, if I could possibly spare the time, that's when I'd have pulled up behind her, & called security to come ticket her, making sure I had her nice & blocked.
            That would have been my next action if she had given me any lip or refused to move. I wouldn't have blocked her though. I'd have gotten out of my car, stood next to hers, and very loudly gotten on the phone to call campus police.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
            X