This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was amazed...

Mods: I have no idea a good place to put this, so please feel free to move it wherever you feel best.

To paint the scene, if you will, it was Tuesday night about an hour before close, when a gentleman and his son enter the store. With a large trash bag.

The man asks us is we take games in trade: my coworker and I confirm this, and the man puts the bag on the counter. Full of a Wii and what was clearly everything they owned for the system.

He goes on to explain, rather bluntly and directly in front of his kid, that his son had decided to prioritize video games over school work, and that his grades had fallen to the point that it was time for the father to make good on the threat of getting rid of all of the video games.

So, my coworker and I make our way through the mound of disorganized Wii games and accessories, all the while the kid just stands there. Like he had been yelled at already, understood that he was in the wrong and that this was the final part of his punishment.

It was about $275 worth of trade ins, and the boy stood there the entire time, politely making conversation if spoken to, not looking at the ground but straight at the counter.

After the transaction was completed, the man sent his son to the car to wait, and spoke with my coworker and I for a little - I made sure to tell the man that his son took that punishment like a champ, and was impressively well behaved.

Never have I seen anything like this. Not a parent fulfilling a punishment to the strength of this kind of punishment, not a kid taking the punishment so well.

My faith in parents having the balls to follow through with their punishments has risen drastically, though...

A parent actually disciplining in a way that doesn't involve shouting or fists, & the kid not screaming, sobbing & throwing a tantrum?

Hopefully the cash will go towards his college fund (or first car, if he decides to go into trade).
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I thought the proper method was to take your 45 to it?

Comment

Wow. I thought the only way I'd see reasonable parenting was by watching the Supernanny.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Thanks midnight, very encouraging story!

Comment

Much to that dad. His son won't take his threats lightly again.
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
              I thought the proper method was to take your 45 to it?
              This kid didnt do anything facebook related lol.
              If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Hopefully the cash will go towards his college fund (or first car, if he decides to go into trade).
                Trade tools are expensive. And yes, I think a father who does THAT and follows through, would - without the kids' knowledge - put the money aside for the kid's future.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

well now the kid won't be distracted by the gaming system.

my own nephew had that problem with the computer (ADD runs in both families, although it skipped sis) so my sister & brother in law put a password on it so he had to ask permission to use it.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Trade tools are expensive.
                    Good point. I'm just used to jobs around here supplying the big bits (power tools, etc) & the various tradesmen maybe having a few key favourites that they picked up themselves, rather than going with the stock items (a screwdriver that fits their hands perfectly, preferred hacksaw, whatever).
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Wow, that is really impressive. It is amazing to see a parent stick to their guns like that, and I am also impressed by the child. Good job to both.
                      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Wow, a parent doing some actual parenting. Hoorah!
                        I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Working...
                        X