This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding you're closed after I've been in line

Decided this one belonged here rather than in CoC, since I really don't work with these people much, we just work in the same superstore. Twice in the past week, I've had some quick purchases to make before I left for the day, so I look for an express line without too many people in it. Mind, I worked up front both here and at another store for 3+ years combined. I know and appreciate how hard it is to close sometimes when SCs keep piling into your checkout line. However, I always double and sometimes triple check to make sure the light is on and there are no 'lane closed' signs up before I get in line, because I don't want to be that moron. But both times this week, I've gotten in the line, with the light on, only to look up 30 seconds later to find the cashier making catbutt face at me and yelling "Hey, I'M CLOSED!" very rudely. Excuse me?! I've been on that side of the counter and I know damn well you are NOT supposed to kick people out of your line; if you turned the light off and put the sign up after they got there, you are required to wait on them. The first time it really pissed me off and I thought I might have been overreacting, but tonight it happened yet again, and one of my coworkers was with me because I was giving her a ride home, and she got just as mad.

We told it to the cashier that we ended up going to (because I'm not going to stand there and make a scene with the catbutt face ones) and she said "Oh, they'll do that, they've done it to me, too!" I swear, next time I see a member of management, he or she is getting an earful. I don't like micromanagement, but I really think this needs to be addressed.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Soooo rude! Yes, if you get in my line before I turn the light off, you're golden. Sometimes I even take an extra person. Talk to management.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

that's just rude. they wait until you get there to turn the light off?

makes me wonder if they're doing it on purpose

Comment

Management definitely needs to know this. During my brief stint as a cashier I never saw anyone there eject people from their lines ... you dealt with anybody who'd been in line up to the point where you put up your sign and turned off your light.

Comment

I'm saying tell management as well.

If I'm told to put my sign up, and there are people waiting in line, I make sure to tell them "This is for anyone after you" so they know I'm not just going to walk off. They're usually happy with that, and very often will even tell anyone who tries to join the line after them that I'm about to close (so I don't have to)
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Whenever I worked as a cashier, the moment I was allowed to turn out my light I would. Then I would physically hand my 'Lane Closed" sign to the last person standing there. So if i was JUST about to turn off my light and someone jumped in my line, then you are my LAST customer! Even if it meant closing late.

Though most of the time when I worked at wally world I would have a line that would take me at least 20 minutes to do, and I would want to turn off my light early and my manager wouldn't let me. So in the end when I finally was able to turn off my light, I would really begrudge anyone who hopped on my line.

But I would NEVER do what those people at the store you work at did. Never. That is just bloody rude.
            Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
            Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              that's just rude. they wait until you get there to turn the light off?

makes me wonder if they're doing it on purpose

IF only I could have done that when I was a cashier at Wal-Mart. My ass would have been handed to me...lol.

Comment

I also say complain to management. Did you get the cashier's names? I had that happen once at MalMart, where I checked to make sure the light was on before hustling up to an empty line. No sooner do I get there, the cashier looks me in the eye and tells me she's closed. I look up, "But your light is on". *click* She turns it off and tells me again that she's closed before turning her back on me and walking away.

Yeah. Rude as hell.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                  Whenever I worked as a cashier, the moment I was allowed to turn out my light I would. Then I would physically hand my 'Lane Closed" sign to the last person standing there. So if i was JUST about to turn off my light and someone jumped in my line, then you are my LAST customer! Even if it meant closing late.
                  That's what I do, then if I had been told to go on break I just tell the FEM that I went on break X minutes late (and so will be back X minutes late) because I was finishing up with a customer. If that throws a break schedule off and FEM's adamant about it, I'll take my extra minutes when there's another lull.

It's when I need to find a manager with the override card to clock out late that annoys me, because no one manager seems to have it two days in a row.
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I know the name of one, since she's been there a while and knows better. The other one is fairly new, so I'm not sure. I'd do the same as you guys, when I put the closed sign up, I'd assure the people already there that they were OK to stay and I wasn't trying to shoo them off.

No wonder everyone asks if I can check them out in pharmacy if this is the way front end service has gone.

Comment

Since they're somewhat coworkers I figured you'd know their names... or can find out very easily. And if it's the same person more than once, then you really can document it. and easily find their supervisor / manager.

Comment

Well, it is a Volde-Mart supercenter, so we have hundreds of employees, and a large turnover rate. It's getting difficult to keep up with everyone who comes and goes. The cashier we ended up going to was one of the veteran employees who has been there for years, so I knew she wasn't about to be a bitch with me, and she even encouraged me to go to management. And I'm not going to a CSM, mind, but a higher manager. Hell, I don't care if it's the store manager who's only been with us for a little over a year and has been fire-happy lately. Someone will know But I am going to look for the first offender and see if I can get her name.

Comment

Even if you don't get a name, shouldn't the lane number and date be sufficient?
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I have the lane number, name and date for last night, but I'd have no idea about the first incident. I can't even remember what day it was, just that it was sometime last week.

I'm trying to decide if I should find a manager in person, or just use the phone and call in as a customer. I can't file an electronic complaint with HQ, since it wants my name, addy and everything and I think it'd look poorly if I did that instead of trying the direct approach first.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                              I also say complain to management. Did you get the cashier's names? I had that happen once at MalMart, where I checked to make sure the light was on before hustling up to an empty line. No sooner do I get there, the cashier looks me in the eye and tells me she's closed. I look up, "But your light is on". *click* She turns it off and tells me again that she's closed before turning her back on me and walking away.

Yeah. Rude as hell.
                              Ugh. I was on the receiving end of this once. Got into a lane with a cartful of groceries and two little kids, double-checking that the light was on (it was). I started unloading my cart onto the belt as the cashier finished ringing up the customer ahead of me. I got maybe ten things on the belt before the cashier looked at me and said, "I'm closed" in that snotty "I hate your guts for making me work" tone of voice. I pointed out that her light was on, she gave me the catbutt face, and repeated that she was closed. And no, she didn't turn her light off. Not one to argue (and wanting to get home because the kidlets were getting tired), I just replied, "Fine" (probably a little crankier than I would have liked), put my stuff back in the cart, and headed off to a different lane.

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                              I have the lane number, name and date for last night, but I'd have no idea about the first incident. I can't even remember what day it was, just that it was sometime last week.

I'm trying to decide if I should find a manager in person, or just use the phone and call in as a customer. I can't file an electronic complaint with HQ, since it wants my name, addy and everything and I think it'd look poorly if I did that instead of trying the direct approach first.
                              You say this is Volde-Mart? If you still have the receipt from the first incident, it has the cashier number on it and they can use that to identify the culprit.

And I would go up the chain in-store before filing an electronic complaint. Front-end manager or similar, would be who I would approach. It generally looks better than if you just jump straight to the top. Calling in as a customer could work too.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X