X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appropos or no?

The song Funky Cold Medina by Tone Lōc.

Is this the kind of song you'd expect to hear played over the loudspeakers at a grocery store? Is this the kind of song you'd want to hear played over the loudspeakers at a grocery store?

We aren't talking a grocery store in "the hood" or a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's kind of place where you'd expect more eclectic musical selections due to the customer base. Just your standard, average, basic grocery store.

As an aside, it was followed up by the Pointer Sisters getting so excited and not being able to hide it, and George Michael announcing he wishes to be awakened before you go-go. Maybe it was just 80s night.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I'm sure there is a study somewhere that says people will buy more with more upbeat music.

Comment

I'm pretty sure at one of my local grocery stores, I heard "I Like Big Butts" by Sir Mix-A-Lot.

Clyde refused to stand/walk/shop near me 'cos I was singing and dancing as pushing the cart.

And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Once, I heard my grocery store playing "Party Rock Anthem". I was trying to shuffle down the aisles (badly, I may add). Hubby was pretending not to be associated with me.

The grocery store usually plays the "boring music", as I call it...classic soft rock, for the most part, with a few modern ballads thrown in. But sometimes, someone changes the station to one of the more upbeat, modern stations. Whoever that someone is also turns up the volume. I don't know who that someone is, but I like them.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          As an aside, it was followed up by the Pointer Sisters getting so excited and not being able to hide it
          Better than Elizabeth Berkley singing about how excited she is followed by the realization that she's actually scared.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I'd rather listen to that than the "Depressing 90s Tunes That Led To Future Emo Kids" channel on satellite radio they play at the gym.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

A few months ago I was in an upscale-ish franchise restaurant at around 2pm or so. Most of the other patrons present were seniors.

Part way though my meal, they played the uncensored version of "fuc# you" by Cee Lo Green.

Now if you aren't familiar with the song, and don't pay any attention to the lyrics, it sounds very much like a late 50's early 60's r&b song. I seemed to be the only one who noticed.
              Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I wish my store does that. The other ones play more modern music. Mine plays old people music. Except for our overnights. They play Backstreet Boys and Staind. Lucky them.

Comment

My store plays decent music. But early in the mornings we'll get boy band songs from my childhood like 'Um Bop' by Hanson. These are the songs that have me shaking my head.... And singing along.
                  I don't usually notice what other stores play cause I usually have my headphones in and am blasting my metal.
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

It's even worse if I have my headphones in and I'm listening to either my portable CD player or my iPhone. Hubs really gets embarrassed. But I don't care. Don't look at me.
                    And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

I honestly think whoever chooses the music for stores doesn't really think about what the words say. I work for an upscale women's store, and our former creative guru (who has since been fired) had some VERY interesting taste in music. One song has a woman singing about how she's going to have a party, with "me, myself, and i" and another has a guy singing about he and his girl, and how he's going to make her scream, and so on. And many of our customers are conservative, older ladies. But unless you really listen, you don't really hear the words.

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                        I don't usually notice what other stores play cause I usually have my headphones in and am blasting my metal.
                        Yay! A fellow metal fan!

I can only listen to music when I'm in the workroom, luckily, there's only one computer station back there and usually no one else in there so I can pick what I want to listen to.

Apparently the old library played classical music. Every now and again one of my coworkers (most of whom have been around for skatey eight years) sighs wistfully, remembering the good ol' days of Bach in the 'brary, Stravinsky in the stacks . . . .

Comment

Ha, in Japan I heard "I'm in Love with a Stripper" and the song about My Humps or whatever. At a convenience store. At least they had the excuse of not understanding the lyrics!
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Every once in a blue moon, the song "Truckin'" by the Dead used to play over the PA at the swamp.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              Is this the kind of song you'd want to hear played over the loudspeakers at a grocery store?
                              Oh, my damn, YES.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X