Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sighting about my own sister (Contains Survivor spoilers from 3/21/12)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sighting about my own sister (Contains Survivor spoilers from 3/21/12)

I was on Facebook last night at work. My sister had posted on her wall what looked like her talking about how glad she was to see Colton gone. I called her out on this and said how careless it was to be openly posting about it just a couple hours after the episode ended. I ask her to take her post down so no other unsuspecting readers see it. She denies it and says she was talking about someone else. I watch the episode after getting home from work and I'm ticked that my sister lied to me and then tried to cover it up. One thing to know about me, I DO NOT take lies to my face well. Even if the lie is told in order to spare my feelings. Once I find out the truth, I'm madder than I would have originally been. I'm told by her and a brother to lighten up.

Am I being sucky or is she?
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

She is, but then you're getting into the whole 'you can't chose your family, only your friends' territory.

If she was a friend you would have the opportunity to explain your issue with her behaviour and help her stop it. And if she didn't, you get to leave.

As family, if they don't take polite and firm hints, you get to grit your teeth and bear it, at a safe distance. Sorry. Mine lie to me (unknowingly for the most part, since they ain't really on this planet), if they weren't blood relatives we'd be a heck of a lot further apart.

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post
      She is, but then you're getting into the whole 'you can't chose your family, only your friends' territory.
      Totally. She got caught out in a social faux pas, then reacted badly. As she's family, tho, chances are you won't get far
      Maybe suggest politely that future posts of this kind come with some kind of spoiler warning?
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

She is for lying, but at the same time, it's her FB to do with as she pleases. So both? lol Sorry!

I know when I don't want spoilers, I avoid sites and people I know that/who watch what I'm about to see.

With family members, I find it easier to just tread lightly. So I would have started off with an explanation on etiquette versus telling them they're being careless. Of course, you know your family dynamics best and what works to get through her skull.

Comment

Sorry, I don't think she's even sucky for lying. It was most likely something she just didn't think about before posting, and then when you commented she probably went "crap" and tried to cover it so you could still enjoy the show. That's something I can completely see every one of my siblings doing and I'd know exactly why they did it...point being that I know you don't like lies, and I suppose your sister knows that, but life is pretty short to get upset whenever you find out someone was trying to help you by covering the truth. Exception being things like being told an awful haircut/suit that might lessen your chances of landing a job are the bomb diggity.

Even if that wasn't the case, this is a really tiny offense for something that looks like it's turning into a family feud. It's just not worth it -- a good relationship with your siblings is far more valuable than one episode of yet another reality show.

Ask your sister -nicely- not to post spoilers in the future, then let it go.
          Last edited by Marszenka; 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Quoth Marszenka View Post
            Even if that wasn't the case, this is a really tiny offense for something that looks like it's turning into a family feud.
            This is eerily accurate. It's almost as if you saw it. Do we know each other? I had let it spill to my wall, but have since taken it down.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

She is for lying, but at the same time, it's her FB to do with as she pleases. So both? lol Sorry!
              this. kinda why i stay off of fb though myself. except when i'm posting doggy pix

Comment

Nope, certainly don't know you. But I'm the oldest of four sisters, and part of a rather nutty Polish-American extended family. I know how these things go.

Also, I don't mean to insult you or be offensive, but the way the first post was written...gah, it just...it sounds a lot like my next-youngest sibling. She gets incredibly, explosively angry over tiny things. She holds grudges about them. When she's not pissed off/bossy she's great to be around, vivacious and hilarious and thoughtful but daaaaaaaaang, you press the wrong button and your life suddenly becomes hell.

I'm not saying you're that bad and I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with your other siblings, because I don't know them or you, but there are some red flags in this story.

1. You were absolutely furious about something that just does. not. matter. In the great game of life it's totally meaningless.

2. Brother and Sister have sided with each other against you believing you're being unreasonable, and now you're upset about the sides.

Danger, Will Robinson. This is how our worst fights always start, and with the super-high-maintenance sis it's a continuing cycle that is slowly pulling the family apart. You don't want the same, I promise.

That said, good job taking the venty post down.

Comment

#2 was dead on. I've calmed down since yesterday, but I still don't like being told I'm wrong by my siblings. One brother posted #1 almost word for word. I realize it doesn't matter. I'm still miffed though that my sister was careless then from my pov lied to save face. Again, I would have just been content with her saying sorry for ruining the show for you I'll be more careful in the future. But we're both stubborn like that.

Comment

I see epic fights about this on my facebook feed with people posting blow by blow accounts of an episode of something.

Then about six hours later someone else will get off work and be spoilered and rant about it. People will say "not our problem" and others will say "have some consideration" etc.

The worst one was with Sherlock where people were getting shouted at for posting spoilers a week later! Some were commenting "Its not a new storyline (its one of the books) though so it can't be a spoiler" and "not the point, I don't want to know until I see it" etc.

I tend to fall on the side that I wish people had to comment on programs through an app so that you could "hide" that app - mainly because I wouldn't have to see all the 'reality tv' singing updates! However I'm realistic enough to not think it will even happen or matter.

As for the sister she should have just apologised - even if she refused to take it down. Lying was a step too far.
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                    X