Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was probably allowed to teach 1 more semester because an investigation was still ongoing. I'm sure that it was finished afterward.

Good story. I love it.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      I'm so glad the worst professor I ever had only failed me because I took the "schools violin". Even though my uncle showed proof that he was the one who fixed the violin from the white flower pot it had been turned into.

Kinda why I didn't finish at that school.
      Ugh, that reminds me of my senior year of high school, at the end of the year when it was time to turn in our padlocks from our gym lockers. The second-to-last day of gym class, I emptied my locker so I wouldn't have to on the last day (because we wouldn't be changing into gym clothes anyway), but left my lock on. The last gym day, I went to my locker and my lock was gone. Dug through a box of padlocks that the gym teachers had trying to find the one that matched the serial number I'd written down, but no luck. Of course, the teachers wouldn't believe that I (honor student in the top 10% for grades with impeccable behavior) didn't take the lock home with me, and wouldn't release my PE grade (which was required for graduation) until I paid the fee to replace the lock that they, more than likely, took off of an "abandoned locker."

Luckily the fee was only $5, so my dad decided to just pay it rather than argue with the school.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Ooh, very nice ownage! I'm impressed.
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          Exactly, they wouldn't state it "due to privacy laws". I remember saying something snarky (I was mad) about what, did the bookstore become a hospital overnight?
          Tosses coin...maybe that was true...but maybe it was because they knew that you were young and trusting, so didn't know that if you had called the police and were able to prove that the book was yours, you could have walked away with it and the bookstore was out of the money.

I just googled it, and bookstores don't have the same privacy protection that libraries do.

Comment

i'm betting mr tipsy threatened them or something when he sold them the book

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              Tosses coin...maybe that was true...but maybe it was because they knew that you were young and trusting, so didn't know that if you had called the police and were able to prove that the book was yours, you could have walked away with it and the bookstore was out of the money.
              I know now, personally, that they don't. I was just kind of an idiot back then, and didn't stand up for myself. I betcha if I'd had more of a spine, I could've gotten my book back. But I just didn't want to raise a tiffy, so I left it alone and just moped about it.

If something similar happened to me *now*? You betcha there would've been a whole different outcome.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              i'm betting mr tipsy threatened them or something when he sold them the book
              I never did find out who sold it, one of my college friends also thought he sold it, but for all I know, someone just passing through figured it was a quick buck. It'll forever be a mystery. =/
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

A bad coincidence but yeah, it was probably just a thief passing through the night who took advantage of it. The thief probably saw the book by itself, did a quick check for obvious names on it, and swiped it.

As for Mr. Tipsy, what a bastard of a prof. *shudder* Ugh.

Comment

While it might have been another student who stole the book, from Mr. Tipsy's reactions IMMEDIATELY following its theft I would have to say he was involved somehow. Be it him putting a student up to it, stealing it himself, or simply watching the book be stolen.

Comment

Seraph, have you ever googled Mr. Tipsy to see what he might be up [or down] to now?
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                      Seraph, have you ever googled Mr. Tipsy to see what he might be up [or down] to now?
                      I just did....and....

He's still teaching there.

Of course though, as I'll tell in another story sometime, it's not as surprising to me as it might be to everyone else. Really, I kinda figured on it.
                      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                        I just did....and....

He's still teaching there.

Of course though, as I'll tell in another story sometime, it's not as surprising to me as it might be to everyone else. Really, I kinda figured on it.
                        This would be why our educational system is a laughing stock here...

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          Professors can date college students - but not THEIR students (assuming the student in question is of age). However I think it's also rather discouraged.
                          It is very discouraged. Power relationships exist, even if the professor does not teach in the department that student is enrolled in.

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                          He was probably allowed to teach 1 more semester because an investigation was still ongoing. I'm sure that it was finished afterward
                          He may have been allowed to finish out the school year to save face.

Seraph mentioned he was still teaching there--can't wait to hear that aspect of the story. Possibly he left on sabbatical and came back later. I would be interested to know if he has tenure.

College politics can be very intense.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

i'm thinking he had dirt on other people in the dean's office
                            or political ties in the academia. (not governmental politics although perhaps that as well, but more along the lines of knowing which hands to grease, or which strings to pull)

Comment

*pokes* You were going to post more stories? Enquiring minds want to know! XD

Comment

reminds of me when I found a really nice looking cooking textbook in a classroom once. I'll be honest I almost kept it but I realized how much it probably cost another student and turned it in to security.
                                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Working...
                                X