X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Playboy is a teaching moment....

A story from my tutor today.

For the reading part of his English topic, he allowed his students to bring in whatever they wanted as long within reason i.e. they could read a Pokemon novel, a manga comic and so on. As long as they liked what they were reading.

Well, one of his Year 5 boys bought in a copy of Playboy. Yes, Playboy.

So, he decided to turn it into a teachable moment. He went to the library and picked up two adult-size mannequins. He bought them back to the class, stripped them buck naked and proceeded to take an anatomy lesson for Health Education.

The kid never bought playboy in again.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Good articles. Just saying.

Rapscallion

Comment

I once quoted from a playboy article that I had to copy from microfiche. That thought still amuses me to this day.

Comment

My dad liked Playboy. He would tell my brother 'This is a work of art. Every woman is. And you always need to respect a work of art. You treat her properly, be polite and do your best not to hurt her.' 40 years down the road, my brother still treats women well. A teaching moment is where you find it.

Comment

When I was around 10 years old, my Mother got me a subscription to Playboy.

The jokes were funny as hell. Have I mentioned I'm gay?

lol
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Hugh taught me lots of things.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I remember using Playboy articles for a report on censorship when I was in college - it was actually suggested to me by my teacher when I expressed a lack of current articles with "bite." She was right - and I got an A on that paper.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Heck I am not gay, and when they had the comics..they were the best part of playboy *shrugs*. Never a fan of Playboy, Hustler, etc.

Still, you can find a good lesson about anywhere, if you are clever enough.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

It really is a tired cliche, but google the authors who have contributed to Playboy sometime, especially in its heyday. (Kerouac, Bradbury, Mailer and Vonnegut spring to mind immediately.) Choice of photos aside, Playboy was a well-subscribed, influential glossy that paid top rates, and it showed.

Comment

Totally off topic, but here's my most memorable Playboy story:

It was back in 1980. I was working as a bus driver, and I had to be at work very early - I think around 5:45 am. I had a husband and young son, who got up after I left for work. I was usually running late in the morning, but this one morning I was ready to leave the house early. But who wants to get to work early? I had 20 minutes to kill and I was trying to stay quiet and not turn on lights so I didn't disturb my family.

There was a Playboy in the bathroom. I sat down to flip through it and found an interview with John Lennon. I hadn't thought about John Lennon in years. It was a fascinating interview! All about how he'd been taking time out of his career to be a father to Sean, and how he was getting ready to release a new album and get back in the game. I got so interested in the article that I was nearly late for work.

Then I walked into the transit office and the first thing I heard was that John Lennon had been killed the night before.
                    Women can do anything men can.
                    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                    Maxine

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      Heck I am not gay, and when they had the comics..they were the best part of playboy *shrugs*.
                      Well, you know who drew those, right?

Comment

Interestingly someone brought a copy of Playgirl to female berthing once.

In all honesty the nudie shots of the men didn't do much for me. BUT the article they did on Anthony Head ... that one got me drooling. O yeah I think they mentioned Spike too.

Comment

I've never actually touched a Playboy. Neither has my boyfriend. And we're both in our early 20's
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Me either, but I thoroughly embarrassed one of my friends by flicking through some of his (mint condition) picture mags with his then-gf and commenting on the models. He shouldn't have left them on the bookshelf in plain sight, it's his own fault.
                            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Some big literary names have been published in the pages of Playboy. I remember reading a preview of an Arthur C Clarke book in an issue.
                              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X