This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMs inventing their own rules

Just a random memory... I use to get bored and hang out in the official chat for one of the RPGs I use to play.

Now sure, I know for sit-down games the GM can make their own rules. But this was a paid for game where the staff had a company dictated line of rules to follow.

I still don't know why the GM on duty found fault with this one. It was not spammed (i.e. posted more than once), or anything offensive... simply the refrain - and title - of a Leadbelly song.

Me: Yicky yicky cow cow yicky yicky yea.

GM: PepperElf don't say that again!

I guess he wasn't a Leadbelly fan?
    Seriously though I have no idea why that was offensive.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM.

Could be for any reason, including trying to run a scene that always has that one player who refuses to take less than 30 minutes to pose and goes AFK every 10 minutes. It could be the GM in question could have just not been in the mood for silliness.. Which made me worse silly, and I was the one that run the MUSH.

I have no idea who or what Leadbelly is, but that wouldn't have phased me
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

As GM, I would have stated 'Pepperelf has just been trampled by a rampaging herd of yicky cows. Pepperelf is silenced for the next 2 hours.'

Comment

Was it one of those RPGs where you had to stay in character throughout the game?
        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
        Fiancee: What?!
        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

None of the above - it was in an "Outside-the-game" chat room for an online game. To be in the chat you had to be running the game software but you weren't actually "in" the game or playing.

I mean sure.. you could get in trouble for breaking conduct rules (swearing, trying to sell your account, spamming, etc) it didn't matter if you weren't "in character", or just hanging out. Or even being silly really. No rules against that at all.

Only thing I could figure out was that the GM either though I was trying to be offensive, trying to spam, or ....just felt like flexing his power.

Interestingly I just heard a John Denver version of it called "When I Was a Cowboy". Same song, although a bit faster than the Leadbelly version.

Comment

Working...
          X