This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-sighting: I made one of THOSE jokes

Facepalm. I found an apple with a really weird bump on it, like a growth. It reminded me of this guy in my hometown who had what looked like a broom handle sticking out the top of his head. Anyway, I bought it because it's weird. I told the cashier I was buying it 'cause I feel sorry for it. He informed me I wasn't the first person to say something about it. It was a bit embarrassing; I thought I was clever. I can see how SCs get angry out of embarrassment when I don't think their jokes are funny--not that it excuses sucky behavior. Well, at least I didn't get mad at the guy. I just humbly accepted that I'm not as cool as I think sometimes.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Hee, I've done that. I felt sorry for a stuffed toy chicken all alone on a shelf yesterday and bought it! So the cashier couldn't appreciate a joke, I'm sure the rest would have.

I have opened my heart to deformed veggies too. Also a REALLY ugly lime green shirt with black slash designs on it.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

We are goofballs.

Comment

I've said that too and the cashier told me it was pointless because the lavender plant was well on its way out. Oddly enough, it's the biggest and healthiest one I have! Same with my rescue roses.
        I also have a habit of rescuing sprouting kippfler potatoes from the markdown shelf because they do so well in pots.
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

The difference here, FL, is that with just the TINIEST bit of forethought, SCs could realize that the 'setup' (bar code won't scan, money stuck together, etc.) has probably happened to the cashier many times.

If I found a funky fruit, I would assume that no one had commented on it because, you know, it was still available for purchase. So unless it was in some sort of basket in the impulse area near the cashier, I'd say you were perfectly correct in thinking the humor was fresh.

(As an added bonus, cashier won't have to hear the joke again thanks to you.)
          Last edited by sms001; 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM. Reason: Tenses are as important as spelling sms!

Comment

the difference is that they didn't buy it. you did.

but now that apple you feel sorry for is going to get his head bitten.
            and he'll look like this!

Comment

It's so freaky--and reminding me of Bumphead. I don't know if I can eat it. I'm sure it's fine, but it's creepy-looking. It's the ick factor....

Comment

Maybe you should slice it first. That way, you don't have to look at the bump. Better yet, make an apple and peanut butter sandwich with thin slices so it will hide in the bread.

I've been known to buy deformed produce. It's just as good and I'm usually chopping it up into something anyway.
                The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Haha--it's still in the fruit bowl. By itself. All lonely and unwanted. And creepy.

Comment

Working...
                  X