Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So You're Discouraging People From Spending Money in the Store?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So You're Discouraging People From Spending Money in the Store?

I just asked my coworker that. I did not buy the garden stuff I wanted last season because I was flat-broke. I got some money from my accident and I've also cashed in vacation time, since I rarely take time off. So I'm saving most of it to make up the difference in what I make and what I need, but I'm also buying stuff I want/need that I've been putting off, in some cases for a year. Not that I should've had to explain that to him or justify myself in any way, but it puts me on the defensive when I'm asked "Why are you always shopping??" I find it rude, and several of my coworkers do to to me, so much so that I want to drive across town to the other store and give them the sale. I'm wondering if I should complain to HR.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

It's none of their damn business how much to shop. If you have the money to get stuff you need get it. Roomie and I are doing that ourselves (we just bought a chef knife so roomie can do all her cooking with ease. I can't tell you how excited that made her. But until now we haven't been able to buy stuff like that and my mom can only give us so much).
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      "Why are you always shopping??" .
      "To see you actually work for a change."

Comment

Heh--Teskeria made me snicker. And this was a manager. Anyway, right after I posted I wrote an anonymous note to HR Lady and put it in her mailbox.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Good on ya. Their logic (and attitude) really sucks.
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
            "To see you actually work for a change."
            Oooh, good one!

I tend to eat out a LOT (yes, that will change once I have moved -- helped along by the fact I have no 'favourite' restaurants in My Hometown ...) Once when I went into one of my favourite places -- for about the 10th time in two weeks -- the girl greeting me at the door said, "Don't you ever eat at home?" Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to complain -- instantly -- and walk out.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              Oooh, good one!

I tend to eat out a LOT (yes, that will change once I have moved -- helped along by the fact I have no 'favourite' restaurants in My Hometown ...) Once when I went into one of my favourite places -- for about the 10th time in two weeks -- the girl greeting me at the door said, "Don't you ever eat at home?" Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to complain -- instantly -- and walk out.
              And the answer to that would be, "No, but I will from now on."
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                but it puts me on the defensive when I'm asked "Why are you always shopping??" I find it rude, and several of my coworkers do it to me, so much so that I want to drive across town to the other store and give them the sale.
                Tell them it's "to provide job security for *your* lazy ass"
                P*S

Comment

The way my housemate puts it, we don't drink much (my last imbibing of alcohol was at Christmas) we don't smoke and we don't gamble. Getting some little thing you just want and don't need goes so far in making one's day, especially mine. ^^ And the stuff I like 'needing' tends to be cheap - the odd soundtrack CD or gaming stuff.

My most recent parcel was the Game of Thrones OST and I have a custom order of tokens coming so I can throw modifiers at my players during an RP ^^ Tiny things!! But that thump on the doormat is a real day-brightener.
                  "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Or the blunt reply of "Why is it your business?"

I mean I know that worker might be trying to make small-talk. But he and the woman in the restaurant story too are doing in in such a way as to put you on the defensive - as if you HAVE to explain your actions to them.

So asking them why it's their business at all... puts them on the defensive instead of you.
                    The downside of course is that they'll be butthurt about it cos most likely they don't even realize how rude they're being in the first place.
                    Last edited by PepperElf; 05-19-2012, 11:39 AM. Reason: grammarz0rz

Comment

Whenever anyone dares bring up my little shopping problem (and mine actually kinda is a slight problem, but thankfully it's not out of control), or my addiction to working out at the gym, I usually just get a little defensive back and ask, "Why do you just sit in your room and play video games and never leave the house?"

Usually shuts up the stupid coworkers pretty quickly, and for quite a while. Nerd rage = quiet time.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                      X