This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one with the sucky waitress

This happened a month or two ago but I forgot to post about it so forgive me if some of the details are fuzzy. Me, my mom and her "heterosexual life partner" (long story) all went to Cracker Barrel which we eat at fairly frequently. We were there at a strange hour, something like 2 or 3pm so the place was fairly empty. We got sat pretty quickly. That was about the only thing that went right.

We sat and we waited. And we waited. And we waited some more. The waitress finally came over to take our drink orders just before we started getting twitchy and then ran off before we could order our food. Resume the waiting. Finally she came over and gave us our drinks and said she would be right back to get our food order. To her credit, she did appear again fairly quickly. We ordered our food and got back to our conversation.

Awhile later, way longer than it should have taken in a mostly empty restaurant, we get our food. None of us had ordered anything more complicated that fried chicken. My egg sandwich and my fries were both cold and my mom's fries were cold as well. We called over the waitress about the fries while I kept my sandwich because at this point I was getting shaky from not having eaten all day. About 20 minutes later, we get new fries. They were awful, overcooked as hell and still cold. We call over the waitress again and asked for a manager. We waited and waited and no one. The waitress had already dropped the check so we gave up and went to pay.

As usual, the lady behind the register asked us how everything was and we said horrible and gave her a brief overview of what happened and how we asked for a manager and one never came. She called for a manager over the intercom and one came over within a minute. We told him what happened and that we had asked for a manager. He had no idea what was going on because the waitress never told him. We were polite and told him that we just wanted him to be aware of what had happened, not that we were looking for anything free but we would appreciate not paying for my fries which I never got to eat. He comped both mine and mom's meals anyways and almost fell over himself apologizing.

We still eat at Cracker Barrel, just not at that one. Their food is just too good to stay away. Mmmmmm, good old comfort food.

Sounds like you handled things well on your part.

I've always had the theory (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who has worked as cook in a restaurant) that a longer waiting time for food when a place isn't busy and it isn't peak meal times could be caused by the kitchen having used up all partially-prepared ingredients during the last meal rush, and having to do more from scratch than they would at peak times, making the wait actually longer than during a rush.

Even accounting for that, though, your service that visit definitely sucked. And while I don't go around asking for food to be comped it it was edible, I have no problems accepting offers of compensation for sub-standard food, especially when they were given a chance to correct the problem and didn't.

Being comped isn't always about the money, to me, it's one way for the manager to say "you did not get the food/service at our normal high level, so you should not have to pay as much as if you had", which combined with an apology, will often convince me to give a place a second chance later.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

If there's going to be a longer-than-normal wait, they should let you know. I can handle a longer wait but I would like to be told so I know they didn't just forget about my order.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I just can't figure out why the wait would be so long. We ordered really basic food: an egg sandwich, chicken tenders, french fries and one of those pancake-eggs-bacon-and-greasy goodness combos. The food actually has come out faster on days we've gone and they've been packed. And the waitress wasn't new, she had two or three stars on her apron.

Comment

considering that the server never even got the manager for you when you asked... i'm wondering how much of this was her fault. cos how the hell can she possibly get you fresh fries that still manage to be cold - unless she's off in lala land for a long time...

Comment

As a former server at the Barrel, I can tell you that because 90% of the food is precooked, your order should have taken no longer than 15 tops and that's only if you ordered a well done steak. On a typical Friday or Saturday night, management expected you to flip a table in 25 minutes. That's from the moment the customers sit to the moment they leave, 25 minutes is supposed to be the max which was ridiculous. Sounds to me like the server was on her break (which in restaurant life means eat when you can) and she was just neglectful.
            Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Comment

Having worked as a short order cook, the fact that your food was cold indicates it was done in plenty of time...your waitstaff person just let it sit there for 10-15 minutes before taking it to you, as the ready area typically does not have heat lamps on it...because food is not supposed to sit there for a long time.

So yeah. You were fine. Your waitress sucked.

Comment

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
                So yeah. You were fine. Your waitress sucked.
                I try not to suck. I'm not working in retail or food service now (live-in housekeeper ftw ) but I did it long enough to know how to act. And my momma brought me up right and would smack me into next month if she knew I acted a fool without damn good justification.

Comment

Working...
                X