This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mildly sucky

Went to the Gigantic Yellow Supermarket today to pick up a few items and get $5 cashback in change for the laundry.

1) I had about 6 items so got in the express lane. Person before me had one of their gigantic carts (Gigantic Green High-End Supermarket has half-size carts at one location in the area -- I love 'em! But not in other locations, nor do any other supermarkets seem to have 'em.) Okay, no biggie, I had a gigantic cart as well. But PAoM had rolled his cart up to the checkout, unloaded it and ... left it there. Thus doing a lovely job of blocking the next person in line. I had to roll his cart out of the way before I could roll my cart up and unload it. For pity's sake, fella, the next checkout was closed; it would've taken 2 seconds and a very small expenditure of energy to move your empty cart out of the way ...

2) Cashier informs me they can no longer give cashback in amounts less than $20. She was polite about it so I just said 'OK, thanks' and paid for my groceries. Not her fault -- but thanks for the convenience (NOT), Gigantic Yellow Supermarket! If I can't get some change from a They're Everywhere! doughnut and coffee shop tomorrow, I guess the laundry gets to wait until Monday ... or Tuesday, depending on what's open on Monday.

I hate having to put quarters in a machine. Luckily, the laundromat has change machines. But still, why can't they put in cardreaders? I know thay exist, just not here in podunk middle america.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Friend of mine has just moved to an apartment building that uses debit-like cards for the laundry. Not surprisingly, she loves it. You don't have to worry about scraping up enough quarters and loonies (or whatever) to get your laundry done.

Oh well. Another month and I'll be at mom's. With standard household laundry facilities.

Comment

Apparently cardreaders don't exist in my podunk state, either, juding b the zillions of people who beg us each weekend and Monday for quarters and small bills.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I've only ever seen the cardreaders in private apartment complexes, unfortunately. I miss having them available. So much easier than lugging quarters around.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I hate people who are completely unaware of where their shopping carts are. It's like once they're emptied, they're completely out of mind.

I haven't seen laundry cardreaders here, either. We're not super-podunk, but we're far from cutting-edge, too. We only just got parking meters with cardreaders, and then only on one block of town (but I love them!).
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              I hate people who are completely unaware of where their shopping carts are. It's like once they're emptied, they're completely out of mind.
              Same with the hand baskets, and yesterday seemed to be particularly bad - customers put their basket on the counter, unload it, then having paid for their goods they just walk off and leave it. Occasionally one will ask 'Where shall I put the basket?' but mostly it's more like 'I've finished with it now so it's no longer my concern'
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                Same with the hand baskets, and yesterday seemed to be particularly bad - customers put their basket on the counter, unload it, then having paid for their goods they just walk off and leave it. Occasionally one will ask 'Where shall I put the basket?' but mostly it's more like 'I've finished with it now so it's no longer my concern'
                I rarely use the handbaskets, I'm afraid I might do that myself without thinking should I use one, since most places I've used them in, the cashier had a place to stack them and usually grabs them as soon as they're emptied.
                Oops.

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

An old apartment I stayed at in New York when I was little had the little cards. I miss them. I hate looking for change. Luckily my store lets me get quarters, but still. Its annoying.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                    I rarely use the handbaskets, I'm afraid I might do that myself without thinking should I use one, since most places I've used them in, the cashier had a place to stack them and usually grabs them as soon as they're emptied.
                    Oops.
                    That would be great, but ours are stacked at the rear of the till, outside the 'frame' that we sit inside - it can't be reached from where we sit, so when one gets left, it's a case of stand up, get the basket, step out of the till, stack the basket, get back inside the till area and get back on the till... Which is fine, not arduous or anything but it all takes that little bit of time and if we have to do that for every single customer, especially when we're slammed, it all adds up, and we know how patient customers are when they're queueing, don't we?
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

For pity's sake, fella, the next checkout was closed; it would've taken 2 seconds and a very small expenditure of energy to move your empty cart out of the way ...
                      This really doesn't surprise me.

Not when I see carts left TWO spots over from the cart-return thingies in the parking lot. I mean... they get all the way to the car and then they just have no fucking ability to walk 10 feet to put the cart away? Bullshit. They're just lazy

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                        That would be great, but ours are stacked at the rear of the till, outside the 'frame' that we sit inside - it can't be reached from where we sit, so when one gets left, it's a case of stand up, get the basket, step out of the till, stack the basket, get back inside the till area and get back on the till... Which is fine, not arduous or anything but it all takes that little bit of time and if we have to do that for every single customer, especially when we're slammed, it all adds up, and we know how patient customers are when they're queueing, don't we?
                        I assume you're in the UK? Yes, you do generally have less space for anything around you, as you actually get a stool to sit on. US cashiers stand, so no stool taking up space, and they tend to move around more because they can't sit. Personally, I think US cashiers should all go on strike to get chairs as they have in other countries

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                          I assume you're in the UK? Yes, you do generally have less space for anything around you, as you actually get a stool to sit on. US cashiers stand, so no stool taking up space, and they tend to move around more because they can't sit. Personally, I think US cashiers should all go on strike to get chairs as they have in other countries
                          As a cashier in the US, I do so very much absolutely agree!!!!
                          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I do laundry at my parents' house

I'm not allowed to go to laundromats and I simply don't care to share facilities with my neighbors, especially since you never know who could sneak down there and mess with your stuff.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                              As a cashier in the US, I do so very much absolutely agree!!!!
                              Same here in Canada. I don't know what the "logic" is behind forcing cashiers to stand for their whole shift. I guarantee the people who decide that don't have to stand the entire time they are at work.

We have a certain amount of "overhang" (for lack of a better word) where the belt starts, so that is usually where people put their baskets. That seems to work pretty well.

Quoth blas View Post
                              I do laundry at my parents' house

I'm not allowed to go to laundromats and I simply don't care to share facilities with my neighbors, especially since you never know who could sneak down there and mess with your stuff.
                              I stick around for the wash cycle, only because it takes about 20 minutes and also that's the only way I can add softener to the load. However, once I put my stuff in the dryer, I go back to my apartment. My stuff is extremely basic and if somebody wants to steal some of it, hey, break a leg! But we have had thefts -- somebody posted an angry notice a year or more ago about having some (fairly costly, I assume) running gear stolen. Don't know if they ever got it back. So yeah, if I was washing expensive stuff, I'd probably stick around for the whole cycle.

I did have one instance when my stuff was still very damp despite having been in the dryer for the full hour. Turns out another tenant (a newbie, I'm guessing) couldn't remember which machines held his stuff and so was checking each one. However, he didn't realize (nor did he notice) that they did not start up again automatically when he slammed the door shut ...

Comment

Working...
                              X