This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• realtor woes (long and a little epic)

I waited to post this until there was somewhat of a resolution. Back in October my father sadly passed away, and we decided to move into a smaller house owned by my brother. We also looked around to sell our old house but it had some foundation problems and we ended up holding on to it up until April or so.

One day my mom was attending to some duties at the old house when a guy who lives on that street, who is a local realtor at a real estate company in town showed up and offered my mom a certain amount for the house on the spot. It's worth more than than that, but my mom wanted to be rid of it so she said yes. About a week later she signed the contract, and everything was good. The contract stated that we had until the closing date, June 20th, to get whatever we wanted out of the house. After the 20th, anything left behind is no longer ours. No problem.
    We gave the realtor (let's call him A) a key so he could bring in an inspector to assess the damage the house had, which seemed okay at the time.

Then one day my mom went over there to pack up stuff and the realtor's truck was in the driveway and our fireplace grate was in the back. My mom went inside (and found our cooler on the porch) and A, his girlfriend and his father were carrying around our stuff.

My mom said "What the hell are you doing with our things?" A said "they were just sitting in the living room so I didn't think you wanted them anymore." My mom told him to get our grate out of his truck, and go. We had lots of large furniture in the living room waiting for the movers, and one was a wardrobe from my bedroom. A put his hand on it and asked her "were you planning on keeping this?"
    My mom just went "get the hell out!" They left and thankfully they didn't seem to have taken anything although some things had been brought upstairs and my father's ham radio had been unplugged and his computer monitor had been moved.

My mom then decided to call her lawyer, who called A's lawyer and tore him a new one, threatening to send a letter to the real estate board about A's misconduct. The lawyer basically said "don't do that, it'll all be okay, I'll talk to him, he's just young and inexperienced." Meanwhile, my mom asked the neighbours to call her if they saw him doing things at the house. Which they did, a couple of times, although he wasn't doing much without the key, just poking around. At this point the realtor no longer has the key because our lawyer got it back.

A few days later, my mom went to the house to pack and discovered there was no power. How odd. Since this will make it impossible to pack up the basement, she goes out to ask the neighbours if they have power. On the way out she happened to look out and the power lines have been cut. Like they are literally hanging in two pieces. Mom asked the neighbours and the power company had come that morning and cut the power. What the heck? So my mom calls them up and asked them why, and it turned out A called them, told them he was the homeowner, and requested that the power be cut, so they came out and cut it without actually checking to see if he was the homeowner or not, which he is not, not until the 20th. My mom called her lawyer again, who called A's lawyer AGAIN, same conversation. Power was restored.

Couple weeks went by without incident, until mom and my brother were at the house and my brother noticed someone digging up the front yard. It turned out A pulled the exact same thing with the gas company and they had not checked to see if he was actually the homeowner either. Lawyer was called, new one was tore, the holes in the yard were filled back in. My mom has put everything down on paper and given it to her lawyer, and is planning on sending it to the real estate board as soon as she gets her money. Because at this point her stress has reached dangerous levels.

Finally, on the 19th, my mom was just bringing out the last few things out of the house when A pulls up and says "have you emptied the garage yet?" It turned out that our contract states that the garage must be emptied by the closing date. Our fault for missing it, but a little odd considering the house doesn't need to be emptied, we just have until the 20th to take what we want. Especially since A has said he plans to tear down the house and pretty much all that is in the garage is lumber (my mom had already moved bicycles and equipment). But whatever. My mom tells him she'll get it emptied and A tells her to open the garage and let him look at it. My mom says no, mainly because she's sick of this guy acting like the house and everything in it belong to him. He even told one of the neighbours that the house is his property.
    We did get the garage emptied in time, thankfully, although we had to hire a mover.

It just boggles my mind that a realtor doesn't know enough to know that until he has paid for a house and reached the closing date, the house is not his. Yet he seems completely incapable of grasping this since he tried to take our stuff, and then attempted to cut off the gas and power. Why would he think cutting off the gas would work when cutting off the power didn't?

Anyway, hopefully this is pretty much over. My mom finally received her money, closing date was yesterday so hopefully we won't have to deal with him anymore. Although my mom plans on sending a letter to the real estate board, as I said before. We're so relieved it's over we're planning on going out to celebrate. If I forgot to mention anything else, I'll post here.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Wow. What an arrogant douche. I'm glad your family is finally free of this drama.
    Will you update us if the realtor board responds to your mother?
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

-please- inform us what happens with the real estate board. I'd love to see this piece of trash lose his license.

Comment

Yes, PLEASE keep us posted!

If he did not pay a fair price for the house, that's a violation as well. In fact, if he were to buy the house and turn around and sell it for more (without making a bunch of improvements which raise the value), he could be sued for the difference in price by both the seller and the buyer. He'd have to pay them, pay a fine, and he'd lose his licence. Real estate is the second most regulated industry in the U.S. (First is pharmaceuticals.)
        Women can do anything men can.
        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
        Maxine

Comment

I hope your mom's lawyer looked over that contract for more little surprises.

I'm also confused about the power company. Since when do they have to actually cut the lines to turn the power off?? I have never seen a utility company do that. Same thing with the gas company. They don't need to dig up the lawn to shut off the gas. Something sounds very, very fishy about all this.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            I'm also confused about the power company. Since when do they have to actually cut the lines to turn the power off?? I have never seen a utility company do that. Same thing with the gas company. They don't need to dig up the lawn to shut off the gas. Something sounds very, very fishy about all this.
            Agreed. I mean, if it were that simple, I could call them up and have my public-enemy-#1 without gas and power just like that! Utility companies typically are much more vigilant about things like that...and shouldn't need to be physically cutting or digging anything up to do it, either. Definitely seems like something more is going on here.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I hope your mom's lawyer looked over that contract for more little surprises.

I think the OP says that the buyer has plans to tear the house down. If this is the case all utilities (power, water and gas) would be physically disconnected at the property boundaries (or the nearest power pole etc) otherwise demolition work cannot be started

There's been a few knock-down rebuilds in my suburb, so I've been seeing this a bit lately
              Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
                I think the OP says that the buyer has plans to tear the house down. If this is the case all utilities (power, water and gas) would be physically disconnected at the property boundaries (or the nearest power pole etc) otherwise demolition work cannot be started

There's been a few knock-down rebuilds in my suburb, so I've been seeing this a bit lately
                Ah. Ok, that makes sense. Still...you'd think they'd verify a lot better!
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Not that your mom would have wanted to deal with it, but according to contract law in most states, the minute the realtor violated the contract (by trying to take your stuff prematurely, then by posing as the actual owner), the entire contract was void. Your mom could have backed out of the sale entirely and been rid of the guy. Beyond that, though, the lawyer would have had better information.

Comment

I will definitely keep you guys posted! Reimero, my mom was actually told that by her lawyer, he said that she could back out, sell it to someone else and sue him for the difference. But my mom needed the money and just didn't want to deal with it all. I'm just thankful that he didn't get a chance to take anything.
                    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth reimero View Post
                      Not that your mom would have wanted to deal with it, but according to contract law in most states, the minute the realtor violated the contract (by trying to take your stuff prematurely, then by posing as the actual owner), the entire contract was void. Your mom could have backed out of the sale entirely and been rid of the guy. Beyond that, though, the lawyer would have had better information.
                      She also could have kept the "earnest" money and sued him for the breech of contract.

What a dork. Although I appreciate the OP's mom ust wanted to be rid of the property, this jerk needed to have just that happen to him to teach him to respect the property rights of others.

Oh well. I'm sure karma will strike eventually.

I'm glad this hasn't happened with MY mom's house, though of course we haven't closed yet either.

But the new owners are really nice and even bought stuff from us at our estate sale.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

We bought our house in SD in April while we were still living in TX. When we ETS'd (my hubby was in the Army) up to SD in June there were still things from the former owners in the house and garage - they'd PSd in May. At the closing we stipulated that they had 30 days to remove anything left then it was ours to do what we wished. They never picked anything up so we got a really nice queen sized waterbed and frame w/ under the bed storage, snow tires and several other things.
                        Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

What an asshole, taking advantage of the bereaved like this.
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Wow, that guy sounds horrible I'm sorry for your family's loss, and second (third?) the hope that karma bites this guy in the form of the real estate board
                            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                            What's the difference?
                            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

So, he breaks in and trys to steal stuff? The cops weren't called then why? As for the utilities, that is just odd. Unless they have authorization from the account holder to DC service, they cannot unless you are behind on the bill. They also won't just leave the wires swinging in the breeze, too many calls would come in that way. They have to coil and cap them to the nearest pole if they are cut. Usually they just pull the meter.
                              Last edited by kpzra; 06-25-2012, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X