This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting at local discount store

I was in my local shopping centre today and noticed one of the discount stores was closed, which isn't typical for a Sunday. As I walked passed it I saw 4 notices posted across the roller door as well as the windows. When I got close enough to read it, I had to do a double take. "We will be closed for stocktake on Sunday 31st June and Monday 1st July. Sorry for any inconvenience." After looking at it for a minute, then checking my phone to confirm that, yes today is Sunday 1st July and there really isn't a 31st day in June, I started to laugh.

But this is not the end of the sighting. Someone walking passed looked at me and asked what I was laughing at, and I pointed to the sign. She looked at the sign, then looked at me saying "It's the end of the financial year, of course they would be closed for stocktake."

I looked at her and said "but 31st of June." Her response stopped my laughter. "So?"

People of the internet, I present to you "Queensland: The Smart State" (or so my number plate says).

Quoth ozcatbug View Post
    People of the internet, I present to you "Queensland: The Smart State" (or so my number plate says).
    Well, you know the old saying - 'If you have to SAY you're all that and a bag of chips, you aren't.'

I live in 'The City of Trees'. This works, 'cause we do have a hell of a lot of trees here. I've always thought they couldn't come up with anything truly complimentary to say about the general population, so Trees it is.
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

I've seen something similar. It was a local new paper article about construction that was taking place. It was in September, like September 15th through September 31st. The editor didn't catch it and the letters to the editor section on the website, roughly half the people explaining the typo had sub-comments like, "Nuh-uh. September (I was surprised they could spell it) has 31 days!"

They were on a computer, with a built in calendar, during the very month they said had 31 days. Of course, most of these sub-posters probably couldn't even FIND Arkansas on the map.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

30 days hath September
        April, June and November
        All the rest have 31,
        save February, which alone
        Has 28. Except in Leap Year, that's the time
        When February has 29.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth ozcatbug View Post
          Wasn't it the Sunshine State?

Then again, you folks HAVE survived Cyclone Yasi......
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Years ago I had a calendar published by the Sierra Club that had 31 days in September. At least October 1 was on the correct day.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If you count on your knuckles, beginning with the index knuckle as January, the first divot is February, the middle knuckle is then March, divot April, ring knuckle May, divot June, pinky knuckle July. Reverse order with pinky knuckle August, and so on, the knuckle months have 31 days and the divots do not. Thank you random 6th grade knowledge!

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                Wasn't it the Sunshine State?

Then again, you folks HAVE survived Cyclone Yasi......
                We have both slogans on the number plates. I mean, either. Not both on one. Lol

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  30 days hath September
                  April, June and November
                  All the rest have 31,
                  save February, which alone
                  Has 28. Except in Leap Year, that's the time
                  When February has 29.
                  Or the silly version taught to me by my Dad (who else?) :

Thirty days hath September, April, June and no wonder
                  All the rest eat marmalade, except for Grandma who rides a pushbike.

And everyone wonders why I grew up so confused....
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth SuperNat View Post
                    We have both slogans on the number plates. I mean, either. Not both on one. Lol
                    I wanted "The Sunshine State" on my number plate, and even though the guy at Queensland Transport confirmed with me "Sunshine State" it wasn't until we were almost finished that I noticed he had handed me "Smart State". Wasn't too happy, but by then it was too late as it had already been entered into the system.

Just checked and found Smart State has been around for over a decade, but is no longer available since most people chose Sunshine State. Wonder if that's why I was given my plates as they were trying to clear the backlog.

Comment

Maybe they weren't referring to the human occupants when they called it the 'smart' state

Comment

The version I learned was:

Thirty days has September, and the rest I can't remember.

Comment

Working...
                        X