This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not MY fault....!

Not sure if this qualifies as a ‘sighting’ or not. I heard this one on the radio today – one of those shows where you call in with questions for the deejay or his/her guest.

The caller (whom I shall hereafter refer to as Grit) told this tale of his own uck-fuppedness.

Grit stopped for gas, went inside, prepaid for $10 worth, then bebopped back out to his car, started the pump, and then got back into his car to play with his cell phone. Grit, therefore, didn’t notice when the pump failed to stop at $10 – and before Grit knew it, the pump had clicked off $55 worth of gas.

Grit then proceeded to tell himself ‘Meh, not MY problem the pump didn’t stop, therefore I’m not responsible for the overage’, shrugged his shoulders, and proceeded to drive off without sparing it a second thought…. Until the police came a’bangin’ on his door.

Now he blames his current legal troubles on the gas station and its employees.

Unfortunately for him, the police disagreed, and now he’s got a court appearance in his immediate future.

I have a few issues with his story.

1. Grit paid for $10. At the current gas prices (about $3.40 a gallon), that’s scarcely three gallons of gas, which a gas pump can crank out in less than a minute. According to him, he spent that minute in his car, playing with his cell phone. Seems a little odd to say to yourself, “Oh, this will take almost SIXTY SECONDS! I have to find something to do in the meantime…..”

2. Grit was the one operating the pump, and that means it was HIS responsibility to make sure the thing dispensed the correct amount. It might be a different story in the old ‘full service’ days and it was the attendant, not the customer, who screwed up. But that’s not the case here.

3. Regardless of how it happened, Grit ended up with substantially more than he’d paid for. The correct (and responsible) action would have to been to notify the clerks inside and make some sort of arrangements to correct the problem. Instead, he just dove back into his car and vanished. Apparently Grit is unfamiliar with the existence (and widespread use) of surveillance cameras.

4. I think we all know how Grit would have behaved if the pump had shut off at $9.85 or some other less-than-ten-dollar amount. He’d have been in the clerk’s face about it, and with a quickness. Yet, it was perfectly fine, in his mind, to simply shrug his shoulders and drive away with $45 more gas than he’d paid for.

Oh, how I’d love to the judge that Grit has to appear in front of. I’d put the fear o’ God in him, an’ that’s a FACT. As it is, there’s a very real chance that Grit’s gonna have to ride the bus for a while, because in this state, one of the penalties of gas theft is…. Yup, forfeiture of your license. In addition to this, the judge can impose fines, jail time, and/or community service. ‘Cause, you know, it’s THEFT.

There’s an old saying that goes something like, “Integrity is not how you behave when somebody is watching. It’s how you behave when NOBODY is watching.” Guess Grit’s demonstrated his values, huh?

Had I been in Grit's situation, I'd be annoyed when the pump when over $10. When you prepay pumps around here, the pump will NOT go over the amount you paid for. So yeah, I'd be pretty pissed the pump kept going and going...

That's the only *teeny* amount of slack I'll cut this idiot. I agree that his story about not noticing the pump kept going is beyond hokey. It was a crime of opportunity and the idiot was stupid enough to think he'd get away with it.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Annoyed, yes, certainly. But hey, you know, mistakes happen. The clerk punches the wrong key or even if there's a problem with the equipment - we're all human, right? It's why I watch carefully when I'm pumping gas - so I can stop the machine if I see it's going over the amount I paid for - that way, if it DOES happen, the error is usually limited to a buck, maybe two at most.
      I'd never EVER let it get to $55 if I'd only paid for $10 or $20. And if I did pump too much, I'd make damned certain that I paid the difference, or at least made arrangements with the staff.

Comment

Regardless of how it happened, once the error did occur, it was all Grit's fault as he took the opinion that a lot of SCs have that if an error is made by a company in the SCs favor, said company immediately forfeits any right or even expectation that it should be corrected and is free to take off with whatever they gained

It's the same as those people who insist that a billing error for phone or TV services entitles them to get it for free.... and they can say that with a straight face!
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
          *large snip*
          Oh, how I’d love to be the judge that Grit has to appear in front of. I’d put the fear o’ God in him, an’ that’s a FACT. As it is, there’s a very real chance that Grit’s gonna have to ride the bus for a while, because in this state, one of the penalties of gas theft is…. Yup, forfeiture of your license. In addition to this, the judge can impose fines, jail time, and/or community service. ‘Cause, you know, it’s THEFT.

There’s an old saying that goes something like, “Integrity is not how you behave when somebody is watching. It’s how you behave when NOBODY is watching.” Guess Grit’s demonstrated his values, huh?
          I can already hear Judge Judy sounding off here ...

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            I can already hear Judge Judy sounding off here ...
            You know, Judge Judy was in my head the entire time I was typing that.....

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm pumping gas, I ain't playing with the iPhone . . . .

I'm actually OUTSIDE of the car, holding onto the nozzle and WATCHING the display.

Doesn't matter if I paid inside or at the pump with the debit card . . . I watch the freakin' display LIKE I AM SUPPOSED TO.

And if for some reason (even though the gas pumps around here shut off at the prepay amount) it should go over, I can see what's happening and let go of the trigger so it wouldn't be a damn issue.

I like to call it taking responsibility for your own actions. Not "Let's Blame somebody else b/c I didn't pay attention and fucked up."

Flip side is I am getting so tickled watching Judge Judy in my head ripping that guy a new one . . .
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

^^this. I usually leave everything in my car (phone included) except my money and my keys. Then I go pre pay and pump my gas. And even though I pre paid I watch the pump. Cause I like to know how many gallons of gas I got.
                Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Not only should you watch to make sure the dollar amount doesn't go over, but sometimes the automatic shutoff doesn't work. You could end up with gas spilling all down the side of your car and all over the pavement. Needless to say, that's dangerous.
                  "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I didn't think you were supposed to use mobiles at petrol stations anyway?

At all the ones in this area, there are notices everywhere saying 'switch off gas, no naked flames, don't use mobiles' or words to that effect.
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm pumping gas, I ain't playing with the iPhone . . . .
                      I'm actually OUTSIDE of the car, holding onto the nozzle and WATCHING the display.
                      Same here. Because once I had a pump that didn't shut off and gas started spilling out of the tank.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post

At all the ones in this area, there are notices everywhere saying 'switch off gas, no naked flames, don't use mobiles' or words to that effect.
                        Same here (at least in PA). Apparently there is a SLIGHT chance that the phone COULD create a spark and ignite the gas fumes. I think you are more likely to win a half billion dollar lottery jackpot, twice, than actually blow up a gas station, but I guess the potential exists.

SC
                        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post

I think that only applies to their use outside the car, not inside.

Although when it comes to naked flames and gas... I'm always reminded of my favorite scene from Blade when Kristofferson's character pumps gas... spraying the car with gas as he tries to get it in, while smoking!

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Doesn't matter if I paid inside or at the pump with the debit card . . . I watch the freakin' display LIKE I AM SUPPOSED TO.
                            I'm usually doing other checks on the state of my vehicle... oil, coolant, belts, tires, etc.
                            I'd expect that in the days of "OMG YOU'RE GONNA STEAL GAS! CREDIT CARD OR PREPAY ONLY!" that the clerk would key in the dollar amount of the pump properly.

Driving off was the wrong move, but It's hardly this dude's fault that he was allowed to pump more. kinda like paying a contractor an agreed upon amount for X work, and only later finding out that said contractor did X, Y, and Z... and is charging you 5x as much... then having you arrested when you refuse to pay the difference.

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
                              Driving off was the wrong move, but It's hardly this dude's fault that he was allowed to pump more. kinda like paying a contractor an agreed upon amount for X work, and only later finding out that said contractor did X, Y, and Z... and is charging you 5x as much... then having you arrested when you refuse to pay the difference.
                              Well, see, I find the whole story kinda fishy. He paid for $10 worth. It doesn't take all that long to pump $10 worth of gas, about a minute I would guess. That's not enough time to do a whole lot with a cell phone, and frankly, that small amount of time isn't enough reason to get back in the car. And at some point, the notion of 'hey, didn't I only pay for $10 worth?' had to cross his mind.

I'm thinking it actually happened differently than what he claims. I'm thinking he DID pump $10 worth and noticed it went slightly over, then said to himself, "Hey, this pump isn't preset...." I could be wrong about that, but given that his solution was to just get back in the car and leave - that speaks worlds about his intent.

I can see your point that it (possibly) wasn't his fault, but HE was the one operating the pump, and it is his responsibility to operate it correctly. Sitting in your car playing with your cell phone is NOT operating the pump correctly. Even if he's being completely truthful with his story, his own actions led to the problem, and he shares at least PART of the blame.

Comment

Working...
                              X