This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Sightings

I recently got back from a vacation trip to South Korea. It was a group trip sponsored by my Tae Kwon Do school, and I've been working OT and 3 part time jobs to save the pennies to go.

It was worth every extra hour, every extra effort to get all my ducks in a row to do this. I had a blast.

Of course, I did look for SCs while I was over there. Didn't see a whole lot of them, actually. Koreans are very polite people. I didn't need to speak the language; prices are clearly marked in Arabic numerals, the exchange rate is easy to figure out. I found I got a lot of mileage with clerks with a smile, a bow, and "Kamsamnida (thank you)." Go figure.

Straws are for suck

I did see a couple of minor episodes of suck when I visited the 2012 World Expo in Yeosun. We stopped at a KFC to eat because one of our group was an 8 year old who didn't like Korean food. We didn't realize that Koreans spice everything up, so traditional or crispy wasn't available, just their spicy chicken, which was still good.

A Korean boy had connected several straws together and was using it to shoot loogies at people in the crowded store from the back of the crowd at the counter, until one of his buddies grabbed it from him.

Horning aroundLater that evening, we were sitting on a bench outside the Expo waiting for our tour bus to pick us up. The streets were VERY crowded, and the local cops were doing traffic control, directing all the tour bus traffic plus other local traffic. If they hadn't been, the tour buses would have completely blocked the flow of traffic picking up and dropping off tourists.

One tour bus driver starts laying in on his horn while waiting to make a right hand turn. The car in front of him can't turn because the cops have ordered him to wait; another tour bus up the road is picking up passengers.

Finally me and another of my group start yelling at the guy, "Knock off the horn! Can you see the cop won't let the guy make the turn?"

We're pretty sure he didn't understand English, but he did understand the attitude. He stopped.

Circular roadblock

The real suck was on the trip home. The flight from Inchon to LAX was largely uneventful, except for having to deplane in Sapporo Japan, go through security, and replane because the plane was changing flight crews and picking up new passengers. The crowd wasn't well managed, and we barely made it back to the gate in time for boarding. But everyone was polite.

LAX is #1 on my list of worst airports ever. It's aging, inconvenient to navigate, and crowded. Both going out and coming home we had to hustle from one end of the air port to the other by going outside in the heat. No trams, no shuttles (none that I saw), no moving walkways that modern airports have to help you move faster.

We finally get to the terminal with the United check ins so we can check in our luggage for the flight back to Greensboro, but are stopped by a crowd of people from the Middle East, in full regalia, milling around in this big circle, blocking all traffic into the terminal. Our group leader tries a quiet excuse me and is roundly ignored.

My feet were killing me; I have plantar fasciitis and aggravated it the day before. I could barely walk and was in no mood for this. I yelled out, "Excuse us! Make a hole!" and used my arms to gesture for the Red Sea to part. The group leader was mortified and told me to calm down. I said, "They weren't going to move. Two of them looked me dead in the eye; they knew what they were doing." And sure enough, they moved.

Reservation follies

So we finally get to check in. Our group leader has all the paperwork for our flight; we couldn't get e tickets because we flew out too early, apparently so we didn't have our boarding passes yet. The agent said he couldn't check in our luggage because it was more than 12 hours before our flight time.

Huh? We were supposed to fly out in a couple of hours and told him so.

Nope. After much hemming and hawing, and looking at the computer, it took him twenty minutes to figure out that no, our flight was scheduled to leave at midnight. It was 11am, LA time. Somewhere along the line the airline changed our reservation. We had to pay $75 a pop to change it back, and then play $25 a pop to check our luggage (a fee that was not disclosed to us when we booked or we would have paid it in advance--and when we had been rebooked on a Delta flight on the trip OUT from Greensboro 10 days earlier when our United flight was canceled, we didn't have to pay a baggage fee).

Code Bravo

So we end up with a 1 hour lay over. Our bags are checked in. We head over to security to go through that process yet again. As we are waiting, a bell rings and a TSA agent yells out, "Code Bravo!" The agents make everyone freeze in their tracks, literally. We're not allowed to move. The agents stand around looking bored, doing nothing, for five minutes when the original agent then announces, "Thank you for participating in our drill." and things move on.

Gah. The TSA is such a colossal joke.

Hurry up and wait

We had a one hour layover, like I said. Waiting to board wasn't bad; we had time to grab something to eat and drink, and watch some of a Korean drama on a laptop. I looked at our boarding passes and got a little nervous; we had an 18 minute layover in Chicago, and no way to know how far we'd have to walk to get to the new gate from where we deboarded. My experience at O'Hare is you always have to go to another terminal. Fortunately, though, O'Hare has these shuttles for moving the elderly and disabled around; I planned to ask an agent to make sure one was at the gate for me because my foot was getting worse.

It ended up not mattering. We board, and sit for two hours because Engine 1 would not start. Mechanics look at it, and can't figure out the problem. Our group leader was getting a little nervous about our connection, but I told her, "forget it. We've already missed it. We'll just have to hope we can rebook when we get there."

They deplane us so a full mechanic crew can work on the plane, and are sent to customer service to rebook. While we're in line, another customer gets on his cellphone to the main CSR folks and starts ripping her a new one because the answer we're hearing at the airport is pretty much everyone will have to spend the night at the air port and fly out in the morning. Given that it was still early afternoon, this was not acceptable to a lot of folks, including this guy.

Now letting United know the problem was not acceptable was one thing. Tearing into the CSR for fifteen plus minutes, with some very bad langauge, was another. Even though I was hurting badly and just wanted to be home in my own bed, I knew that the CSR couldn't magically wave her wand and get the plane back in the air.

Or maybe she could. A few minutes later, an announcement came over the intercom for our flight to reboard.

Then we spent another hour waiting to leave the gate for a computer problem. They didn't tell us that part until we were in the air.

We still could have made a connecting flight. The pilot had been able to make up lost time in the air. But we had a 15 minute window to connect. The stewardesses let other customers off first to make their flights, but not us; they told us we'd never make the connection and wouldn't let us try. We were quite aggravated but couldn't do anything about it.

We weren't served dinner. We didn't even get peanuts, just a drink (which I shouldn't have accepted; it put my bladder into overdrive).

So we're directed to the customer service desk for the terminal when we get in. We got off and headed straight to it, beating out most of the crowd, but when we got there, the guy at the desk said he was closing and not taking any new customers other than the ones already in line. He told us to go to the Concourse C desk.

So we hustle over there, followed by the herd. It got quite crazy there. A supervisor walks by wanted to know why we didn't use the Concourse B terminal; we told him.

He got quite upset. The agents at the B CS desk had told a whopper of a lie. The supervisor took about half of us back to Concourse B to take the pressure off Concourse C.

My group remained at C. We got on the phone to the main CSR desk and got vouchers for a hotel and meals. The gal at the desk processed it and was very friendly; told our group leader how to use the online system to recoup the $75 we'd paid (actually she paid for us) to change our flight earlier in the day. We grabbed a shuttle to the hotel and crashed.

Of course we had to go through security A GAIN. Gah. Oh, one interesting note. When you fly in Korea, they don't make you take off your shoes for security, and they are much MUCH faster and efficient than the TSA.

Finally we made it home.

I will never, EVER fly United again. EVER. While most of the individual people we talked to were very nice, the administration of that airline are clowns. The system is inefficient and inconsistent. Not worth the hassles to save a few bucks. I'll pay more for a better experience.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

As much bad as I heard about Delta, using them to fly to Japan was pretty easy and fun.

As for what you experienced in Korea with the Bus/Traffic....that's normal. My boyfriend is Korean, born and raised, and told me its quite common for people to lose their temper and sometimes assault over it. Koreans are a tough people, though, probably why its not as big of a deal over there when someone knocks on your window, pulls you out of the car and starts screaming at you while slowing traffic. The Koreans I know also drive like maniacs.

The boy acting like that with the straw? Would have had his ass beaten if he did that in front of parents or even grandparents. My boyfriend actually got his head slapped for not smiling in public by his weak old grandma. (He has a look about him that makes him look unfriendly and angry, even when he isn't. :P)

Comment

Just be glad you didn't bring any guitars with you. I heard United doesn't take very good care of them.

Apparently United and Delta are in some type of contest to see who sucks the worst. I rarely fly, but when I do I'm usually able to simply take Southwest, who have always treated me pretty well. I feel like I'm dodging a bullet every time I see that wonderful "Southwest" logo next to my flight itinerary.

Comment

The last time I flew, my 6 hour layover in Las Vegas was changed mid-flight to a 20 minute layover. On my return trip, my layover in Salt Lake city was changed from 20 minutes to 14 hours.

No offense to Smiley or anyone else from utah, but your airport sucks.
        And to anyone from Nevada, I think your airport is cool. But all I had time for was a pretzel and a quarter in a slot machine. At least I can say I've gambled in Vegas (I lost)
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
          As much bad as I heard about Delta, using them to fly to Japan was pretty easy and fun.

As for what you experienced in Korea with the Bus/Traffic....that's normal. My boyfriend is Korean, born and raised, and told me its quite common for people to lose their temper and sometimes assault over it. Koreans are a tough people, though, probably why its not as big of a deal over there when someone knocks on your window, pulls you out of the car and starts screaming at you while slowing traffic. The Koreans I know also drive like maniacs.

The boy acting like that with the straw? Would have had his ass beaten if he did that in front of parents or even grandparents. My boyfriend actually got his head slapped for not smiling in public by his weak old grandma. (He has a look about him that makes him look unfriendly and angry, even when he isn't. :P)
          Yes, I did notice the crazy driving. Our bus was nearly side swiped more times than I could count on the whole trip. I got used to it after awhile. I was amazed by how easily the driver could navigate windy, narrow streets with such horrible traffic, and even back up into very awkward parking lots at our destinations.

I didn't see anyone lose their temper, but I did get yelled at by a cop for jay walking. I hadn't realized I was jay walking; I was trying to catch up with my group and having foot problems, didn't notice that while traffic was stopped, the light was still not my way. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one jay walking, so the cop didn't do more than yell at the dumb American (fair enough).

We flew Korean Air to and from Inchon and LAX. They are a classy airline: they fed us several GOOD meals (choices of Korean or American foods), free wine with dinner, hot towels, slippers, toothbrush and toothpaste to wash up, everyone got a bottle of water, blanket and pillow at the start of the flight and we were served snacks and drinks several times during the flight. Seats were comfortable, and every seat had a screen with multiple choices of movies (American, European, Chinese, and Korean), music, and video games. Headsets were free. Stewardesses spoke English, were friendly, helpful, but you knew who was in charge.

My last trip on Delta before this didn't go so well. They had just changed to a kiosk system for check in, and I didn't know how to use it. The agent was unfriendly and unhelpful, and I was anxious about getting through security.

I can't stand Southwest; the seats are unbearable to sit in: packed too closely together, ultra thin cushions make me feel every spring with every bump in the air. My last flight with them was agony.

Haven't flown American in quite awhile; might give them a try. If I can afford it, I definitely try to fly business or first class for better seats and comfort. It's quite an improvement over coach on most airlines and well worth the bucks IMHO. But I can't always afford it (first class very rare, last time I had a travel allowance from a job that paid for the ticket).
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

New laws came into effect last year that provide compensation for flight delays and bumps. Airlines kind of bank on people not knowing these laws. :\
            Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
              Just be glad you didn't bring any guitars with you. I heard United doesn't take very good care of them.

Apparently United and Delta are in some type of contest to see who sucks the worst. I rarely fly, but when I do I'm usually able to simply take Southwest, who have always treated me pretty well. I feel like I'm dodging a bullet every time I see that wonderful "Southwest" logo next to my flight itinerary.
              I found out from hearing from someone else's misfortune... detune them before you fly. the air pressure can really do a number on them if the strings are in tune.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                I found out from hearing from someone else's misfortune... detune them before you fly. the air pressure can really do a number on them if the strings are in tune.
                lol nah the guitar thing they're talking about is a musician who actually saw his guitar being thrown and abused by staff. He even wrote 3 songs about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Comment

o wow. i was lucky then. mine was always well treated by every airline. The last time I flew with it they even marked it as fragile

Comment

The agents make everyone freeze in their tracks, literally. We're not allowed to move. The agents stand around looking bored, doing nothing, for five minutes when the original agent then announces, "Thank you for participating in our drill." and things move on.
                    Wait, WHAT? WTF....?? How on earth is that supposed to be useful?? Does TSA think some terrorist is going to panic and run so they can spot him....or what??
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Wait, WHAT? WTF....?? How on earth is that supposed to be useful?? Does TSA think some terrorist is going to panic and run so they can spot him....or what??
                      Non-moving targets? Decoys?

Actually, I wonder if it's to keep the civs from getting into the line of fire if they aren't already. Or to prevent other terrorists of the same group from leaping in to help the screwed one. I think that makes too much sense for the TSA however
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Wow what a trip

Also pictures would be cool to see!!!
                        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          o wow. i was lucky then. mine was always well treated by every airline. The last time I flew with it they even marked it as fragile
                          Last time I flew with my guitar I detuned it (loosened the strings, to prevent air pressure changes from damaging the bridge) and also took it as carry on luggage. They stowed it up front during the flight. It came through with no problems. That was back when I flew US Air regularly; I haven't flown with my guitar for a long time.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          Beats the hell out of me. I couldn't figure out what the heck they were doing.

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                          Wow what a trip

Also pictures would be cool to see!!!
                          I'll post some in Off Topic

Comment

Having been through both O'Hare & Salt Lake City, I'll take Utah every time... And I plan never EVER to visit LAX!
                            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Found a bit on Code Bravo... or, as some seem to call it, Code Bravo Sierra:

http://www.infowars.com/confirmed-th...ze-on-command/
                              http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/bu...road.html?_r=1
                              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X