This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously dude, pay attention....

I was on my own for dinner tonight, and I wasn't really in the mood to call in a take out order after a long stressful day, so I stopped in at the local supermarket on the way home and went to the hot food counter. On the big huge hanging sign was "TURKEY DINNER....$5.99 Turkey, mashed potatoes w/gravy, stuffing, vegetables, and a dinner roll."

I ordered that.

The guy packages up the turkey, potatoes w/gravy, and the veggies, then closes up the container and throws it ont he scale, puts the prices sticker on it, and hands it to me.

"Have a nice day." he tell me.

I started to walk away, then I saw that the tag said $11.xx

I stopped, looked back up at the sign (sure enough....$5.99) then back at the label....he's weighed the whole thing at the per-pound rate for just turkey.

Back to the counter I go.

Me: Isn't this supposed to be $5.99? *points at the sign*

SW: Oh...um....oh right! Did oyu want the stuffing and roll?

Oh...right...yeah, I was so tired and wrung out I hadn't even noticed that omission.

Me: Yes please.

So he adds those items, then tosses the box back on the scale and retags it the same way he did before, except now the added weight has caused it to go to $14.xx!

Me: No no....isn't this whole thing supposed to be $5.99? *points at the sign again*

SW: "Hey (other employee).....is this $5.99??"

Me: *sigh*

The other employee came over and showed him which code to enter for the turkey dinner.

SW: But that's the same code I entered before!

The fact that whatever code she put in came up with "Turkey Dinner $5.99" and whatever you put in came up with "Sliced Roasted Turkey $8.99/lb" seems to indicate otherwise.

But I did get he meal priced correctly on the third try.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Third time's a charm?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

And was the turkey worth it?
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That actually sounds really good. I love a good turkey dinner, no matter what time of year.

But yes, the question still stands - was it worth it?
        Random conversation:
        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

It was ok. The very edges were dried out but most of it was good.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

<Homer> I'll make a wish that can't backfire! I wish for a turkey sandwich, on rye bread, with lettuce, and mustard, and... I don't want any zombie turkeys, I don't wanna turn into a turkey myself, and I don't want any more weird surprises, you got it! (Homer eats)... Mmm, not bad, nice hot mustard, good bread, turkeys a little dry... THE TURKEY'S A LITTLE DRY!!!</Homer>

(Yes I had to look it up. )

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
              That actually sounds really good. I love a good turkey dinner, no matter what time of year.

But yes, the question still stands - was it worth it?
              Unless we are growing turkeys, we tend to buy up a few when they hit the postholiday sales as we love making the whole classic turkey dinner deal every 2 or 3 months. Mega leftovers =) somewhere we ended up with 20 or 30 of the divided meal containers like these so we just make up a whole bunch of instant meals for Rob to take to work or use when we are too lazy to cook
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Something similar happened to me at the Chopper's in-store cafeteria. I bought two chicken breasts with mashed potatoes. One afternoon the register was down at the cafeteria, so I had to go to the Bagel counter to get it all wrung up.

I can't remember exactly how much it came out to, but I had it frequently enough to see that the bagel cashier wrang it up two dollars more. I pointed this out to her and she stood her ground. When I went to the cafeteria to explain the mistake the cashier there realized that the bagel woman thought I had got the food from the buffet so she charged me the per pound rate.

Got the difference refunded, but still.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  It was ok. The very edges were dried out but most of it was good.
                  Hmm. Not bad. The turkey's a little dry. The turkey's a little dry! Oh foul the cursed teeth! What demon from the depths of hell created thee!
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I don't eat meat, yet that sounds good.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      I don't eat meat, yet that sounds good.
                      Sometimes, the food that someone else cooks is so much better than anything I could make myself. Even if it's not something I'd ordinarily cook. It's amazing how fixated I get on someone else cooking for me at times.
                      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        Unless we are growing turkeys, we tend to buy up a few when they hit the postholiday sales as we love making the whole classic turkey dinner deal every 2 or 3 months. Mega leftovers =) somewhere we ended up with 20 or 30 of the divided meal containers like these so we just make up a whole bunch of instant meals for Rob to take to work or use when we are too lazy to cook
                        I always get extra turkeys when they're practically giving them away at the holidays, and freezing them. Then every now & then we cook one, have a big meal, then freeze the cooked meat in small portions - white meat is good for sandwiches, stir frys, fajitas, etc. But neither of us are keen on dark meat, so we'd end up with casseroles we didn't like all that much, etc. Tried everything to figure out a better use, but no matter what spices or seasonings were in any recipes, we could always tell very easily it was the less liked dark meat (for some reason, both of us think turkey dark meat is not so great, though chicken isn't as bad). I finally found something awesome to do with the dark meat. You know those tiny containers of pulled chicken or pork that are so expensive? The ones good to make BBQ sandwiches? We dump all the already baked dark meat turkey into a crockpot, add a good brand of bottled BBQ sauce (Jack Daniels is awesome), and cook on low all day. Every now and then take two forks and just pull at it the cooking meat for a few minutes. You end up with a crockpot full of yummy BBQ pulled turkey, as good as any chicken or pork in the tiny expensive tubs. Freeze in small portions, and thaw in the microwave to make sandwiches on sub rolls. As quick and easy as fast food, but tastier & much healthier & loads cheaper. So far, it's the only thing we've found where you don't get the heavy tast we think dark turkey has.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                        X