Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of "proper ID" don't you understand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of "proper ID" don't you understand?

My BF and I went to a geek-themed burlesque event recently.

Yep geek-themed. The first performer was dressed as Princess Leia. Another one did a balloon-act with a PacMan theme. Even had a dancer dressed as an elf with a giant inflatable ball taped to look like a D20.

Oh and the announcer was wearing a custom-made He-Man suit.

But since this was adult entertainment, the venue was adamant about ID cards. In order to get in you had to have your right hand stamped, and security would not stamp until they verified the ID card and date of birth.

This wasn't a big secret. It was on the website AND on the tickets. And not in fine-print either but in normal sized font.

Figures tho, one person thought they were special. ... And found out that no, they would NOT accept an ID card that was missing a significant portion from one corner. She sounded a bit snotty about it but they said "no".

She did get a refund but ... nope they weren't going to accept an ID card in that condition.

After all, the tickets read "PROPER ID". What part of a cracked piece of crap is "proper" anything?

Don't you just love that kind of thing? When checking ID for a card, I've had customers tell me "Well, my photo's on the front!" "... Yes, but that's not an ID." "But it's a photo of me!" "It's still not an ID card. This is a bank card that has A photo on it." "RARGHABLARGHA!" Or something like that
    Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

I <3 Burlesque.

Seriously though, I think all ID's become invalid if they've been damaged like that. At least she got her refund, if I was the owner I wouldn't have even done that. Not my fault she thought she was Lady QueenMonkeySpit and we'd all bow to her whims.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

?? Geek burlesque?! Where?

Comment

Here in MI, if the card is like that it's usually done by the Sec of State because a new card has been issued. But then I've seen some people just completely beat up their cards and I can't understand why.

Comment

I once freaked out because I had to fly when all I had was a paper temporary license. (It was a last minute flight; my mother had died in another state. Very inconsiderate.)

I didn't have any problems flying out, since it was the state that had issued the temporary license. But I was worried about coming back.

Sure enough, security didn't want to let me through. I'd brought with me every piece of ID I could find -- SS card, birth certificate, 4 student IDs. Thankfully, they finally let me through. I tried to be as polite as possible and all.

Moral of the story: Have your ID.

Comment

I've seen a few of the paper temp cards all but disintegrate before someone's permanent card arrived (the store I was working at the time said we could accept those if the birthdate was legible).
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                I've seen a few of the paper temp cards all but disintegrate before someone's permanent card arrived
                ^so glad I was able to renew my license online before it expired! I've already got it and it doesn't expire for another two weeks.

I hate the ID folks. I've had people try to use regular (no picture) bank cards with me. Even had one person advising an irate non-library card or license having person to carry a copy of her registration with her (I quickly disabused them of that notion!).

Comment

My school ID is supposed to be usable as a state-issued ID (it's from the state university system). Some places take it, some won't. For flying, train travel, etc I rely on my 'real' state ID and use the school one as a backup.

Miss Fatale, I learned that very quickly when I dropped my ID in the airport once. After not seeing it on the concourse, dumbass me exited the gate area (I know, really bad idea), thinking that I could use my student ID and ticket to get back across. When I finally did get back into the gate area, it turned out that another passenger had turned my ID in at a store 20 minutes earlier. I did manage to make my flight, but boy was that a mess.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
                    ?? Geek burlesque?! Where?
                    It's in Nashville in an old automobile factory section. The geek theme is yearly though, so they won't be doing that again until next year. But they do have monthly shows I think. It's called Music City Burlesque.

Tho I did learn a bit about the state laws from the show. The dancers are required to wear at all times, full bottoms, pasties, and under-bras (kinda like a cup-less bra). They made fun of the laws by putting pasties on He-Man's chest.

(which also explains why the strip clubs right across the border are so popular. the next state over allows full topless. although afaik burlesque tends to use pasties anyway)

Tho, my favorite act involved no costume changes / removals anyway. One of the performers had a pretty awesome sheet-rope act she did to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. (My BF say's it's "aerial dance".)
                    Last edited by PepperElf; 08-05-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      Tho, my favorite act involved no costume changes / removals anyway. One of the performers had a pretty awesome sheet-rope act she did to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. (My BF say's it's "aerial dance".)
                      I love those, they're awesome! It looks so simple, but it takes a huge amount of skill to be able to hold yourself up without cutting off your circulation, hanging yourself, etc. & still look graceful.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                        I love those, they're awesome! It looks so simple, but it takes a huge amount of skill to be able to hold yourself up without cutting off your circulation, hanging yourself, etc. & still look graceful.
                        Ooo I never thought of the circulation or airway issues. I did figure that it took some good upper-body strength to pull oneself up so high though, and to hold all those positions.

Tho the best show I saw was the International Burlesque festival. I went to it a couple of years ago in Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                        X