This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what am i doing wrong - ordering eggs

It's at the point where, if I want eggs cooked the way I like them... I might as well just make them at home.

How I like my eggs: fried until the yolk is a gel. It's not runny (i fucking hate runny eggs) but it's not hard all the way through.

I thought this was "over medium" but whenever I order that I get runny yolks. And if I order "over hard" I get solid yolks which... aren't as bad as runny but still not what I really want.

Bah!

PepperElf, if I didn't know better, I'd SWEAR you were my friend and former co-worker. He's always complaining about not being able to get "over-medium" eggs done right.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I run into this problem because I like mine over hard, and that, apparently is an unheard of concept.

I'll tell waitstaff over hard and get a blank look. I'll say fried, and get runny yolk. I've found the best way to do it is to say the temp you want them cooked, too, then ask as if you're trying to clarify. i.e.

"Yes, I'd like my eggs over medium. Is that the fried option where the yolk is a gel, rather than runny or solid?"

This makes it sound less accusatory, and less "I'mma talk down to you acuz you dunno what I want!" as opposed to

"I'd like my eggs over medium. That's with the yolk as a gel. Not runny and not solid."

I'm sorry to hear that, though, because I don't like runny yolks, or even gelled. The texture just makes me squicky.

Comment

LOL this is too funny. I like my eggs over medium too but to me that means the yolks are runny

I love runny yolks and don't like it when they are cooked to hard, be it gel or solid.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          LOL this is too funny. I like my eggs over medium too but to me that means the yolks are runny

I love runny yolks and don't like it when they are cooked to hard, be it gel or solid.
          Then what (to you) is "Eggs over easy"? Just curious.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

From what I understand "over-soft" is runny yolk, "over medium" is gelled yolk, and "over-hard" is where the yolk is solid.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              From what I understand "over-soft" is runny yolk, "over medium" is gelled yolk, and "over-hard" is where the yolk is solid.
              That's what I always thought too. But every time I order "om" it's runny.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                Then what (to you) is "Eggs over easy"? Just curious.
                to me I guess that means the whites aren't cooked as solid as they would be in the way I like them. I dunno I learned it from my mom
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I like mine a bit runny, and usually say over easy, but normally I just take whatever I get I can't even get them exactly as I like them every time myself, so I don't expect anyone else to get them perfect either.

When I lived in the UK, I found most B&Bs (about the only time I had breakfast out) would ask if you wanted fried or scrambled, and didn't much define anything beyond that, you got what you got - I did order them over easy once right after we moved there, and just got a sort of blank look. After that I decided to go with the flow, rather than be an ugly American.

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I pretty much only like my eggs with runny yolks. I'll eat them other ways, but my favorite is sunny side up. Unfortunately, since I'm pregnant, I'm not allowed to eat them that way. And my doc wants me to eat 2-3 eggs a day, if I can manage it. *pout*

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
                      ... since I'm pregnant...
                      One of my mother's friends misheard her OB's order and was gagging down one pound of raw liver per day instead of one ounce...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Once, in desperation, I ordered 'Twice over easy'..that seemed to work (if they ask what it is, ask them to flip the egg twice).
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                          Once, in desperation, I ordered 'Twice over easy'..that seemed to work (if they ask what it is, ask them to flip the egg twice).
                          Interesting idea, Myt. I might have to try that. Funny thing is, when I make eggs myself, they're over medium. When I eat out, I get scrambled. (Hey, I like my omelettes. What can I say?)
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                            "I'd like my eggs over medium. That's with the yolk as a gel. Not runny and not solid."
                            I think this is all your best bet folks. It seems there isn't a "set" way to order them.

Comment

I used to be a breakfast cook... The problem is that there should be 4 levels of doneness. See, over easy, done right, means that the outside of the egg is cooked. Only the outside. (I used to get compliments for getting it right, but 3 times as many complaints that it was too raw!) But usually , if you order over easy, you get the whites cooked and the yolk runny. Technically, that's over medium. Over hard means the yolk is broken, because if not, the white is burned before the yolk is hard.

Yeah, it's dumb. The first level should be called "over light" or something. Because - well, then, over medium could be exactly what you want, PepperElf!

...And that's why I always order scrambled. It's hard to get that wrong. (Though it's happened.)
                              I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                              - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Working...
                              X