This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Reasons for Exchanges?

Just had the sweetest lady and her son cause me to take a moment's pause... No suck was demonstrated, and I present this testimony free of prejudice, secure in the knowledge that none of you will judge either.

I sold this lady's son a railcard. This is a cool little ticket that in itself gets you nowhere, but over the course of a year grants up to 1/3 off all your other tickets, depending on time etc. This particular one is aimed at students, especially those studying away from home... Makes it cheaper to bring your laundry back to the family home

ANYWAY!

After a few false starts due to the wrong form, lack of suitable ID, etc., we finally completed all the necessary procedures; I issued the ticket, filled in the appropriate numbers on the appropriate forms, & they went on their way - only to come back a little while later, with such a crestfallen look on their faces!

"I'm sorry," she says, "but I can't accept this ticket, can you change it?"

"Well, as you've only just bought it, I should be able to - what did you want instead?"

"Oh no, we'd like the same ticket - just not that number!"

The ticket's issue number? Well, they use 5 digits & roll over... At this point in time, my machine had issued 06666.

It caused me no problem to exchange the ticket, and I'd had a good run of customers meaning the new issue number was sufficiently far removed so as to no longer cause distress; the look of relief on their faces once we'd swapped it over was palpable.

After we'd done that, they moved on: "We'd also like to buy an Oyster card, can you do that?" (note: Oyster is London's public transport version of the near-ubiquitous RFID payment systems.)

"Sure, no problem; I've got them right... {I get them in my hands & look to see which is next to be issued.} Oh. No, you'd better go to another shop."

This time it was their turn to look confused. "Why?"

I couldn't explain it properly, my mind had taken a quick vacation. Instead I just fanned out the entire collection of cards I had available to sell. They ALL had ---666--- in the middle of their issue numbers!

The look of shock on their faces was quickly washed away by the howls of laughter they came out with at this realisation. They thanked me for my time & consideration & headed for the nearest corner shop to see what numbers they had available!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

WOW superstition at its best... at least they were able to laugh about it.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I was at the bank yesterday, deposited cash I'd gotten from a couple of garage sales, and a few Craigs List sales (attempting to downsize a bit). The teller added up one stack of bills, and came up with $666, said "oh my", but with a bit of a smile, then she quickly said "we'll just add these two stacks together here, and put it down this way" so the deposit slip no longer listed that number.

Not sure if she was superstitious herself, or just used to customers pitching fits. I got a chuckle out of it, myself - while I admit to being wary enough that I wouldn't want it on my license plate or my house address, having it come up in a total during a transaction doesn't freak me out.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I get people all the time wanting me to add or subtract something from their order because their total came out to $6.66. There are people who just laugh about it, or make a comment like "wow...bad luck!" If it really makes them uncomfortable and they are willing to add something to their order to change it (or subtract), that's fine with me - I just can't change the total arbitrarily.

At least your customers were nice and non-preachy, and could laugh about the situation. One customer actually gave me a lecture about how that number was evil and our registers should have some kind of program in place to prevent it coming up.

(My husband's grandmother was like that...and when one of her grandkids got issued a social security number with 666 in it, she decided that meant he was touched by the devil. That made for fun family gatherings!)

Comment

Never had anyone try to return or exchange anything over a total of $6.66 while I was at the wholesale club, but I did have someone in late October make a purchase that came to that total. I jokingly said, "I ain't comin' to your Halloween party!" and they laughed.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

So who's going to tell them about the mistranslation/error in transcription of Revelation all that time ago and that the Number of the Beast is not 666 but actually (according to at least some translations) 616?
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

When I bought my first mobile phone it took 15 minutes longer than it should have as the person in front of me needed a number with no 6's in it at all.
              Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

That's just sicks.

(When I were four "sick" and "six" were homonyms in my speech.)
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Yeah but watch out for 667 as well - the neighbor of the beast. Or 999 - the beast standing on it's head.

Ok, I'll go quietly now

Comment

*sings* I'm on the railway to hell

Comment

It annoys me this. Wikipedia quotes the passage from the bible where all of this nonsense comes from...
                      Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666. (Rev.13:18-NKJV)
                      That passage would suggest to me that it is talking about a man. Not the devil, but a man known as a beast. If you look up the Wikipedia article about this you will see that lots of rational people think that man is Nero, and that the passage in Revelations is about Nero, not the devil.

I don't want to stray further into an argument about this, but my grandfather believed that it was unlucky to put shoes on a table, pass another person on the stairs, dream of a snake or open an umbrella indoors. I don't think any of that is valid, just as I think Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia is one of the silliest superstitions that has ever been invented by anyone at any time.

It's right up there with the end of the world at the end of 1999 (notice how that went) and the predicted end of the world at the end of this year.

Comment

The look of shock on their faces was quickly washed away by the howls of laughter they came out with at this realisation.
                        That sounds cute!

I guess that means they're not fans of the USS Hawkbill, eh?
                        Last edited by PepperElf; 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
                          my grandfather believed that it was unlucky to put shoes on a table, pass another person on the stairs, dream of a snake or open an umbrella indoors. I don't think any of that is valid,
                          Most superstitions are irrational, just as a lot of fears people have are irrational. Not always something they can easily control. I don't believe most superstitious people choose to be superstitious anymore than someone chooses to be claustrophobic. I have a few minor superstitions, I know absolutely well that they aren't logical (and basically I'm a very logical person), but I also know I'm more comfortable not breaking those particular superstitions.

And some superstitions are based on a thread of logic. Unlucky to spill salt - well, salt was extremely expensive at one time, so it really was a misfortune to spill it. Same with broken mirrors, they weren't always common & cheap. Opening umbrellas indoors, well, in a small room, it could easily break something. And walking under a ladder often puts a person in a position to easily have an accident, get something dropped on him, etc.

Comment

My cell phone has 666 in it. The double takes I get off it are priceless! I've even remind my hubby that it's something like, XXX-XSignoftheBeast.

Black cats are not unlucky unless they cross your path, but what they neglect to say is "AT NIGHT." Unless you were lucky and saw the eyes, the cat was likely to cause you to trip. At least this is my personal theory, built up over years of having black cats. I can see my black cat just fine during the day, but at night, without lights on... and him imitating a rug... yeah. I've taken a few spills because of that. Otherwise, he's no more unlucky than any other cat I've ever owned.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                              Yeah but watch out for 667 as well - the neighbor of the beast. Or 999 - the beast standing on it's head.
                              When I was a kid, my dad and I had a very long list of these jokes. Thanks for making my day!
                              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
                              X