This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check-in rage

I don't post much these days, though I do lurk. Just observed an incident on the way home so I actually have a chance to write it up.

My dad is a heavy smoker, which makes it hard to find hotel rooms for him. He won't just smoke outside, so it has to be a smoking room. I promised to find him a room to stay in when he comes down for our wedding reception, which has proved to be a bit of a chore. I found a local place with smoking rooms and I stopped in on the way home to make the reservation in person and prepay on my credit card.

Which is how I had the opportunity to observe this gem:

SW: Sucky woman & her kids who say nothing
    SWH: Sucky woman's husband (quite a nice fellow, actually)
    DC: Desk clerk (a common non-white ethnicity of non-US origin. Sadly, this matters)

I walked in and saw SW and SWH standing at the desk while DC was typing away at the computer. They were apparently checking in, so I just got in line behind them.

DC: I'm sorry, I don't have a reservation in your name but (cut off by SW)

SW: (flailing around a piece of paper) WE HAVE A RESERVATION! It's number XYZ####### and IT SAYS RIGHT HERE THAT WE PAID! (points at paper but yanks it away when DC tries to look at it)

DC: That is not one of our confirm numbers. If you let me see (cut off by SW again)

SW: NO! I know you people! I let you touch it and then I'll never see it again. (to SWH) I swear, these people should just be deported so they can't rip off honest American citizens.

DC: I'm sorry, ma'am, but I have nothing in the computer.

SW: F$#%!!!! And we need to eat dinner, too! (storms out of the office)

SWH: Okay, do you have a room we can get for the night? (hands over his credit card.)

DC: Of course, sir. If you let me see the reservation I can try to find out what happened to it.

SWH: Thanks, but I'll call them for a refund when we get home. Just get us set up for tonight and we'll worry about it later.

DC makes a quick phone call in her native language, assumedly about the reservation as she seems to read some stuff off the screen, and gets SWH all set with his room. Takes only about 2 minutes. As SWH signs the credit card slip, SW and their kids show back up.

SW: <SWH>! You better not be paying them again! I'll f#$*ing hurt you if you did!

In the meantime, her kids (both look to be around 9 or 10 years old) have zeroed in on the coffee and beverage bar and are starting to ransack it.

SW: Kids! We're going to get dinner! Nevermind, do what you want, these <DC's race> deserve to clean up after good white kids. (and out the door she goes again.)

SWH: Look, I'm really sorry. Kids, let's go! (and out he goes)

The kids ignore him and continue to pour themselves drinks, rip open sugar packets, etc. I look at them and open my big mouth: "OY! Show some respect, you little brats!"

They both turn and stare at me like I'm some sort of freak of nature, at which point SW opens the door and yells "Move your stupid a#%es, we're going to dinner!" before taking off again. This time they listen and hustle out the door.

DC apologized for the trouble, I assured her it wasn't her fault, and made my father's reservation. I was even offered a 20% discount.

Why do I have the feeling they are at the wrong hotel?

Comment

Just proves that being nice works better than being an ass.

to you, Gerrinson for standing up for the clerk.

Edit: Aethian, I think you are right. Either that or the reservation was for the wrong day.

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Wow! Can anyone say "abusive" wife/mother?

Comment

Honestly, I blame TV and magazines/newspapers for this type of crap, especially all the articles about being a bitch to get special treatment. I swear that someone ought to take all the writers of those type of articles and make them work for a year in various types of customer service to see exactly what it is like working phones, desks or as waiters.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

*picks her jaw up off the floor*

At this point, it would have been, "I'm sorry, but due to behavioral issues, I'm afraid you'll not be staying at this establishment." There is no reason to allow such a.. loud, disrespectful, to stay at the place. She'd likely cost the place more for staying than she'd be paying anywho.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post

At this point, it would have been, "I'm sorry, but due to behavioral issues, I'm afraid you'll not be staying at this establishment." There is no reason to allow such a.. loud, disrespectful, to stay at the place. She'd likely cost the place more for staying than she'd be paying anywho.
              If I was in the back office, and I heard someone talking like that to my GSR, then reservation or no reservation, they would not be staying at my motel!

It sounds like it wasn't even for that hotel, too. I mean, just let the GSR look at the paper. That's why you printed it out and brought it in the first place!
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                If I was in the back office, and I heard someone talking like that to my GSR, then reservation or no reservation, they would not be staying at my motel!

It sounds like it wasn't even for that hotel, too. I mean, just let the GSR look at the paper. That's why you printed it out and brought it in the first place!
                That last part also got me. Why do people wave sheets of paper around but not let anyone look at it, unless it's because they're hiding something?

Comment

After the insults, I wish DC would've responded, "Well, you don't have a reservation now."
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post

indeed. employees should not have to put up with racially abusive behavior from customers. ever.

Comment

With any luck at all, they were at the wrong hotel and the original hotel chain will not give them their money back.
                      Women can do anything men can.
                      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                      Maxine

Comment

what's also sad is that the husband seems somewhat use to this...

Comment

"Good" white kids? The same ones that were ripping open sugar packets and making a mess?

Mom's head was firmly up her own ass, it seems...
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                          X